Venue: Pudsey Town Hall Council Chambers, Robin Lane, Pudsey
Contact: Debbie Oldham 0113 395 1712
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting.)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion Of The Press And Public
1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
3 If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:
There was no exempt information.
To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.
(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)
There were no late items. However, supplementary information in relation to the Leedswatch Report was circulated at the meeting. Minute 35 refers.
Declaration Of Disclosable Pecuniary Interest
To disclose or draw attention to any Disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code Conduct.
There were no declarations of pecuniary interests made.
Apologies For Absence
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies were received from Cllr. Andrew Carter, Cllr. Amanda Carter and Co-optee Rev. Paul Ayres.
Open Forum / Community Forum
In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.
There were no members of the public in attendance at the meeting.
To receive and confirm as a correct record the minutes of the Outer West Community Committee held on 7th October 2015.
It was noted that Cllr. Ann Blackburn had given her apologies however had been missed from the minutes.
RESOLVED - The minutes of the meeting held on 7th October were recorded as a correct record.
To receive the report of the North West Locality Safety Partnership to provide Members of the Outer West Community Committee with an overview of the performance of the West North West Locality Community Safety partnership. The report focuses upon the period October 2014 - September 2015. Reports on the performance of the West North West Locality Safety partnership including crime statistics, information on Antisocial Behaviour , Domestic Violence and examples of some of the partnership initiatives.
The report of the North West Locality Safety Partnership provided Members of the Outer West Community Committee with an overview of the performance of the West North West Locality Community Safety partnership.
The report focused on the period October 2014-September 2015
Acting Inspector Nick Boyes and the Area Community Safety Co-ordinator attended the meeting.
Members were informed that there had been a rise in crimes in the Outer West area particularly in vehicle thefts. Acting Inspector Boyes told the Committee that offenders were travelling in to the area from Bradford and locally from Bramley to commit the crimes. He said that several arrests had been made.
The Committee were informed that the partnership working with Environmental Services was working well and that there was good co-operation between Leeds and Bradford Police forces.
Ward Members were asked to spread the word to keep doors and windows locked and keys especially car keys out of view.
Crimes statistics for each ward had been provided within the submitted report.
Members were informed that from February 2016 more Police will be based at Pudsey Police Station. From February 2016 there will be a transition to a new operating model to ensure that demand is met across all work areas with reduced staff. The majority of uniformed officers will work on a 24/7 shift pattern as will the Partnership Ward Area (PWA) Inspectors. Inspector Dan Wood would retain overall responsibility for Outer West area.
Members were informed that Partnership Ward Sergeant Louise Julian would take over in February 2016 she would be attending the next meeting to meet all ward members.
The Area Community Safety Co-ordinator spoke about the Neighbourhood Problem Solvers approach and the good partnership working across the Community Committee area.
The Committee were informed that future work in the area would include projects in relations to The Heights, vehicle crime and Farm Watch.
Discussion took place on the following issues:
· Concerns in relation to Cross Lane, Farnley
· The high rise in vehicle crime
· New Neighbourhood Watch scheme at Rodley
· Police presence at Forums and Neighbourhood Watch meetings
· Crimes relating to farms
· Speed Indication Devices
The Members thanked Acting Inspector Boyes for his contribution to the meeting and the information that he had been providing to Ward Members the Chair saying that it was ‘like a breath of fresh air’.
RESOLVED – That Members would continue to support the locality Community Safety Partnership in relation to continuing to delivering towards the Safer Leeds priorities through effective partnership working set out by Safer Leeds for the 2015/16.
To receive the report of the West North West Area Leader to provide the Outer West Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund for 2015/16 and the current position of the Small Grants and skips pots and those Small Grants and skips that have been approved since the last meeting. The report also provides an update on the Youth Activity Fund.
The report also asks the Community Committee to approve the commissioning process and timescales for the 2016/17 Wellbeing budget.
The report of the west North West Area Leader provided the Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund for 2015/16 and the current position of the Small Grants and skips pots and those Small Grants and skips that had been approved since the last meeting.
Members were updated on the project from Parks and Countryside for playground improvements to Victoria Park was approved.
Two applications had been received for the Committee to consider:
· Appendix 2 of the submitted report listed Gardening for Wellbeing submitted by The Conservation Volunteers - Hollybush Conservation Centre, requesting £3,260
· Appendix 3 of the submitted report listed New Street Grove crime prevention fencing submitted by Housing Leeds requesting £6,475
In relation to Appendix 2 of the submitted report Members were informed that interest had been expressed by residents from the Outer West in the project. However due to demand those residents had had to be turned away. Members discussed transport to and from the project and the health benefits of the project specifically those with mental health issues. Cllr. Ann Blackburn to provide the name of a group in Pudsey to the Communities Team.
In relation to Appendix 3 of the submitted report Members were provided with plans showing the area of concern. Members were informed that this issue had been discussed at the Housing Advisory Panel and that match funding had been approved.
Members also discussed the public footpath which runs along the palisade fencing in situ currently. Members requested that this be addressed.
Members briefly discussed the Youth Activities Fund commissioning round. A General Purposes Sub-Group meeting would be organised in the new year to consider applications.
RESOLVED – That the Committee:
· Noted the current budget position for the revenue Wellbeing Fund for 2015/16 - Appendix 1 of the submitted report
· Considered the Wellbeing large grant and Youth Activity Fund application which had been received since the last Community Committee
· Noted and considered the small grants that had been approved since the last meeting
· Noted the skips that had been approved since the last meeting
· Noted the current budget position for the Capital Wellbeing Fund for 2015/16
· Noted the Finance Monitoring information at Appendix 4 of the submitted report
1) Appendix 2 of the submitted report listed Gardening for Wellbeing submitted by The Conservation Volunteers - Hollybush Conservation Centre, requesting £3,260 - APPROVED
2) Appendix 3 of the submitted report listed New Street Grove crime prevention fencing submitted by Housing Leeds requesting £6,475 - APPROVED
The report of the Locality Manager, Environmental Action Service presents for approval a new Service Agreement between the Committee and the Environmental Action Service to help maintain clean and tidy neighbourhoods across the Outer West area.
The Locality Manager, Environmental Action Service was in attendance at the meeting he presented for approval a new Service Agreement between the Committee and the Environmental Action Service to help maintain clean and tidy neighbourhoods across the Outer West area.
The Locality Manager explained to the Committee that the Environmental Action Service had taken on new functions including:
· Graffiti removal, needle picking, public toilet cleaning, ginnel clearance, LCC bin-yard clearance
· Household bulky item collection service, and
· Work previously done by ‘Estate Caretakers’ in council housing areas
Members were updated about the restructure within the service and the new ways of working within dedicated teams.
The Locality Manager highlighted page 16 of the submitted report which outlined the priorities for delivery.
Members were informed that partnership working with colleagues in Parks and Countryside was working well.
Members raised their concerns with the amount of leaves which had accumulated in certain areas. Members were informed that this work was on going however the wet weather had been a factor in not been able to collect the leaves. The Locality Manager asked Members to contact him with areas of concern so that he could address.
The Parks and Countryside Technical Manger was also in attendance at the meeting, he updated the Committee on the collections from litter bins located in parks. Members were informed that a mapping exercise was taking place to identify the locations of litter bins and to ensure that bins were located where most needed.
RESOLVED - The Community Committee;
· approved the Service Agreement for the 2015/16 municipal year;
· delegated the responsibility to oversee the development and delivery of the Agreement and associated ‘Plans on a page’ to the Environmental Sub Group, with input through ward member and sub-group meetings.
To receive the report of Leedswatch to outline the effectiveness of the 11 cameras, which serve the Outer West Community Committee Area.
Appendix 1 to this report to be tabled at the meeting.
Two Officers from Leedswatch presented the report to the Committee on the effectiveness of the 11 cameras, which serve the Outer West Community Committee area.
The submitted report provided analysis of the crime and anti-social behaviour by Ward, with CCTV camera locations as at Appendix 1, the different types of incidents and arrests captured by CCTV Operators in ‘real time’ including a focus on monthly occurrence of incidents. The report focussed on the period April 2015 – end October 2015.
The submitted report also had information on the current costs for all CCTV cameras in the Committee area.
Members were informed that staff had been realigned into five teams working 24/7 Monday – Sunday:
· Safer Learning Officers
· Parks Watch
· Security Patrol Team
· Engineering Team – repair cameras
· The format of the information by ward
· The information provided
· Location of the cameras within the Outer West area
· Cost of the cameras and maintenance charges
RESOLVED – That the Outer West Community Committee noted the content of the report.
To receive and note the minutes of the Heights and Bawns Neighbourhood Improvement Board held on 30th September 2015.
RESOLVED – The Committee noted the minutes of the Heights and Bawns Neighbourhood Improvement Board held on 30th September 2015.
The report of the West North West Area Leader provides the Community Committee with an update of the work of the three sub groups of the Committee: Environment, Business, Employment and Skills and General Purposes. The report also updates the Committee on pieces of work and partnership working that has taken place in the area since the last meeting.
This report updated the Community Committee on the work of the three sub groups of the Community, the work that had been taking place and the partnership work that had taken place in the area since the last meeting.
Members were informed that the Environmental sub group had met on 6th November 2015 and discussed partnership working throughout the Outer West. The first partnership would focus on a coordinated approach to emptying parks bins, street bins and dog bins. The Committee had heard early from the Technical Manager of Parks and Countryside that a piece of work was under way to map locations of these bins.
It was reported that following on from the workshop held in October which focused on delivering actions which support Business Enterprise and the Economy linked with employment opportunities it was decided to set up a Business, Employment and Skills sub group. The sub group has had two meetings Chaired by Cllr. Richard Lewis. The sub group decided to have four meetings a year.
It was reported that the Christmas Lights had been switched on in Pudsey and Farsley with the events being well attended. However, Calverley lights switch on had to be cancelled due to bad weather.
Members noted that the use of social media by the Outer West Community Committee was well used and proving to be a success.
Members were also informed that the Calverley Rotary Club would be again offering Christmas day lunches for delivery to the elderly.
Ward Member for Calverley and Farsley clarified the position of the costs of the Farsley Christmas lights.
Members had received information in relation to the ‘Get Cooking’ project to be held at Springpark Centre, Farsley requesting £365.70. The project had been circulated to members by email.
RESOLVED – That the Community Committee noted the report including the key outcomes from the sub groups.
Members agreed to approve £365.70 for the ‘Get Cooking’ project