Agenda and minutes

Inner West Community Committee
Wednesday, 12th October, 2016 6.00 pm

Venue: Milford Sports Club Beecroft Street, Kirkstall, Leeds, LS5 3AS

Contact: Debbie Oldham 0113 395 1712 

Items
No. Item

Community Committee Topic: Transport

The Community Committee held a workshop on transport. A large number of the local community were in attendance at the meeting.

 

The Chair introduced the topic and welcomed all to the meeting.

 

The Head of Transportation, Andrew Hall gave a presentation linked to the submitted report of the Chief Officer Highways and Transport.

 

The meeting were informed that a number of meetings and surveys were currently being held to engage with Elected Members and the community to seek feedback and input on the future strategic approach to transport in the city and the development of a proposition and delivery plan for the £173.5 million fund due to be allocated following the cancellation of the NGT project.

 

After the presentation the meeting was opened up to a Question and Answer session with the following issues being raised and suggested improvements:

·  Equal access to all transport for those with disabilities and low incomes

·  More stations in local areas with sufficient parking

·  More Park and Ride schemes

·  20mph restricted areas to be monitored and speed limit to be enforced

·  Use of speed bumps and humps

·  Height of speed bumps

·  Speed indicator signs

·  Pathways not wide enough

·  The Highways Service to be more responsive

·  Vespers, St Ann’s and Morris Lane highlighted as speed hot spots

·  Concerns about the Kirkstall gyratory – amount of traffic using this junction and worries when junction fails smaller roads used as ‘rat runs’

·  Inability of Highways to respond quickly enough to grid lock situations

·  Capacity of major road links

·  Pollution around Kirkstall Road

·  Public transport too expensive

·  One fare for buses in Leeds area

·  Use of day tickets and passes on all buses in Leeds area

·  Franchised bus service

·  More rail tracks

·  Use of different modes of transport

·  Regulate peak travelling times

·  Crossings over the canal and rivers

·  Stations not adequate in size and location

·  City wide speed limit

·  Similar scheme to dockland light railway

·  Similar scheme to ‘Boris’ bikes’ in London

·  Congestion charge

·  Training for bus drivers to accommodate passenger needs

·  Conductors/ Hosts on buses

·  Use of phone app to highlight awareness of problems on roads and areas to avoid

·  Subsidised fares for young and old people

·  More cycle lanes

·  Use presentations to schools and colleges to educate young people to show benefits of different modes of transport

·  Reliability of bus timetables

·  Speed Indication Devices (SID’s) these are known to be effective and are mobile

·  Links with the West Yorkshire Combined Authority for Bus Strategy to improve service

 

At the end of the session everyone was encouraged to complete the Leeds Transport Conversation survey either on line or hard copy and also the West Yorkshire Combined Authority Survey.

 

The Leeds Transport Survey closes on 11th November 2016

 

The West Yorkshire Combined Authority Survey ‘Have your say’ closes 20th October 2016

 

The Chair thanked Andrew Hall for his presentation and all those who had attended for their contributions and suggestions.

Chairs Comments

The Chair welcomed all those who attended the Inner West Community Committee formal business meeting.

 

He asked everyone to introduce themselves.

18.

Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).

 

 

(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Chief Democratic Services Officer at least 24 hours before the meeting.)

Minutes:

There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.

19.

Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public

1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information within the meaning of Section 100I of the Local Government Act 1972, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.

 

2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.

 

3 If the recommendation is accepted, to formally pass the following resolution:-

 

RESOLVED – That, in accordance with Regulation 4 of The Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Meetings and Access to Information) (England) Regulations 2012 or Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 as appropriate, the public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-‘

 

Minutes:

There were no exempt items.

20.

Late Items

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.

 

 

(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)

Minutes:

There were no late items.

21.

Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.

 

 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.

22.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Cllrs. J Illingworth, A Smart and J Heselwood, there was also apologies from Co-optees Stephen McBarron and Hazel Boutle.

23.

Open Forum / Community Forums

In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee.  This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair.  No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.

Minutes:

In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.

 

Mr and Mrs Townsend who own a business in Stanningley attended for this item at the invitation of the Chair. 

 

The Chair asked Andrew Hall, Head of Transportation who had been at the earlier Community Committee workshop to be present for the representation from Mr Townsend

 

Mr Townsend informed the Committee that he had that day handed a petition of 2000 names to Cllr. Ritchie in relation to the two roundels located at Stanningley Bottom.

 

He explained that he had owned his business located at Stanningley Bottom for two and half years and prior to the alterations of the road layout had only witnessed one accident. However, in the last six months since the new layout of two roundels on the junction with Stanningley Road and Richardshaw Lane he had witnessed eight accidents including near misses and road rage.

 

He said that the topic of conversation for his customers was their dissatisfaction of the road layout and the increased danger that it causes.

 

Mr Townsend presented some suggestions to prevent accidents at this junction which included:

·  LED speed signs

·  Notices to indicate rights of way

·  Signs preparing the motorist on approach to the junction

 

The Chair informed the Committee that he had contacted Highways requesting information about the roundels. He also expressed his concerns about the difficulties of seeing the markings in the rain.

 

Andrew Hall thanked Mr Townsend for a well put together submission including his suggestions on improvements.

 

Andrew Hall informed the Committee that Highways were aware of issues at the junction with the two roundels and were working to develop and improve the scheme.

 

The Chair asked for ‘pinch points’ to be assessed and addressed.

 

Members were informed that the junction at Stanningley Bottom was a priority.

 

The Chair thanked Mr and Mrs Townsend for attending the meeting and for their representation. He also thanked Andrew Hall.

 

 

24.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 112 KB

To receive the minutes of the meeting held on 22nd June 2016 and confirm as a correct record.

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting held on 22nd June 2016, be approved as a correct record.

25.

Matters arising

Minutes:

At the Community Committee Workshop Drugs and Young People held on 22nd June, Tom Donohoe, Head of Police Contact Centre had extended an invite to Members to visit the Centre. Eric Bowes Co-optee for Armley informed the Committee that Members of the Armley Forum had visited the Police Contact Centre which had been very informative and enjoyable.

 

Cllrs. J McKenna and C Gruen expressed their disappointment with Members attendance at sub group meetings. They asked that the Chair remind Members of their responsibilities. The Chair said that he would raise this at the next Chairs Forum with Cllr. Coupar and report back.

 

 

26.

Leeds Transport Conversation

The report of the Chief Officer Highways and Transport to report on the Transport Conversation and engagement process and seek feedback and input from Members on the future strategic approach to transport in the city and the development of a proposition and delivery plan for the £173.5 million fund due to be allocated following the cancellation of the NGT project.

 

(This item supports the workshop to be held prior to the formal Committee meeting on the theme of transport)

Minutes:

Having discussed the “Transport Conversation” as part of the Community Committee topic, no other matters were raised under this item.

 

RESOLVED – The Committee resolved to:

a)  To note the wider strategic context of the transport Conversation which will extend beyond a first phase conversation into the Spring / Summer of next year, informing a wider transport strategy for the City and your area over the next 20 years

b)  To note the Department of Transport £173.5 million offer for public transport improvements, in the context of a currently planned report to Executive Board on the 19th October and the planned submission of strategic investment case to the Department of Transport.

c)  To provide feedback and advise on your key priorities to transport investment in the city and the local community.

27.

Finance Report pdf icon PDF 361 KB

The report of the West North West Area Leader to provide an update for Members on the projects funded through the Inner West Wellbeing Fund and Youth Activities Fund budgets. The report also asks Members to approve the application process for bids to the 2017/18 Wellbeing budget.

 

(Report attached)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The West North West Area Leader submitted a report which updated the Members on the projects funded through the Inner West Wellbeing fund and Youth Activities Fund budgets.

 

Members heard that since March 2016, the Committee had awarded grants totalling £116,314 to 33 projects following an application round. The list of projects funded so far in 2016/17 was presented at Appendix 1 of the submitted report.

 

Members were advised of the remaining balances for each ward as set out at point 2 of the submitted report

 

Members were informed of 2 applications approved by delegated decision;

·  Hollybush Roundhouse - £4,000

·  West Leeds Credit Union - £1,200

 

Members were asked to consider three new grant applications for Armley:

·  Poplars Fencing Scheme - £2,557

·  Armley Junction Café - £1,000

·  Gotts Park Golf Club - £11,764

 

Cllr. J McKenna explained the refurbishment to Gotts Park Mansion to the Committee and the importance of keeping this Grade II listed building open.

 

Members discussed the use of Section 106 money and requested a report to the next meeting from Parks and Countryside to include Section 106 spending.

 

Members were advised that all Wellbeing money needed to be committed by end of March, Members were asked to contact Communities Team if they wished any projects to be considered.

 

Members were asked to provide £1,000 per ward to top up the Small grants and skips fund to enable further applications to be submitted to the end of the financial year.

 

Members heard that since April fifteen projects had been funded at a total cost of £55,842 these were listed at appendix 2 of the submitted report. Members were informed of the continuation of the Woodbridges Youth Club approved by delegated decision for £5,938. Members were also advised of the Youth Activities Fund balances as set out at point 35 of the submitted report.

 

Members were asked to approve the method by which Wellbeing grants are approved for 2017/18. It was proposed that the application round would follow the same process as previous years with applications invited between 28th October 2016 and 13th January 2017, for approvals at the March Community Committee meeting. Members noted that the grant application round would also include bids to the Youth Activities Fund.

 

RESOLVED – That the Committee resolved to:

a)  Note the balance of the Wellbeing budget for 2016/17

b)  Note the projects approved by delegated decision listed at 4 and 5 of the submitted report

c)  Consider the new 2016/17 projects listed at 7- 9 of the submitted report

·  Poplars Fencing Scheme – To be deferred for more information to be sought for Armley Members.

·  Armley Junction Café - £1,000  -  Approved

·  Gotts Park Golf Club - £11, 764 – Capital Fund - Approved

d)  Consider whether any funding should be earmarked against the projects in development listed at 11-17 of the submitted report

e)  Approve a top up to the small grants and skips budget at 29 of the submitted report

f)  Note the balance of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 27.

28.

Community Committee Update Report pdf icon PDF 333 KB

To receive the report of the West North West Area Leader to update the Community Committee on the work of the sub groups of the Committee: Children and Young People and Environment. The report also updates the Committee on events, local projects and partnership working that has taken place in the area since the last meeting.

 

(Report attached)

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The West North West Area Leader submitted a report which updated the Members on the work of the three sub groups of the Community Committee.

 

The Community Champions Cllr C Gruen, Cllr Lowe and Cllr McKenna updated the Committee on the work of the sub groups highlighting the following points:

 

Children and Young People

·  The importance of the clusters within the schools of the Inner West

·  Positive feedback on the activities funded over the summer holidays

·  Children and Young Peoples Summit planned for February 2017 to consult on a range of topics and teach about local democracy.

 

Health and Wellbeing and Adult Social Care

·  The success of the Rise High Project and for the approach to be taken to 20 similar high rise blocks citywide.

·  The re-commissioning of the Locality Community Health Development  and Improvement Services contract had been awarded to BARCA Leeds

 

Employment, Skills and Welfare

·  Universal Credit due to go live in Leeds, 1st January 2017. The Committee noted that this change to benefits would hit the Inner West hard

·  Members requested a report to the next meeting on Universal Credit

·  92 people had attended the Armley Hub for recruitment at the new Victoria Gate retail development

·  The development of new Adult Learning opportunities in Bramley and Stanningley Ward. Members noted that a paper was to be taken to the November Executive Board.

 

Members noted that the date for the Environment Sub group had been set for 21st October.

 

Members discussed at length issues of community safety across the Inner West area, in particular the ongoing issues around the Holdforths.

 

A number of suggestions were put forward and tackling the issues around the Holdforth:

·  Use an approach similar to that used in Hawksworth

·  Neighbourhood Improvement Board – to discuss problem families at its next meeting

·  Look at recruiting more volunteer youth workers in the Holdforths

 

It was noted that the Community Plan should carry a forward from the Chair and the Civic Hall telephone numbers for the Inner West Community Committee Members.

 

Members also noted that the Newsletter was to be sent to groups and organisations within the area.

 

The Co-optee for Bramley and Stanningley invited all to attend a meeting of the newly formed Bramley Project Team to look at new projects for the area.

 

 

RESOLVED – That the Community Committee note the report including the key outcomes from the sub groups and approve the new Community Plan.

 

 

 

 

 

Chairs Comment

The Chair thanked all those who had attended the workshop and the formal meeting for their contributions and comments which had provided a good meeting.

29.

Date and time of next meeting

The next meeting of the Inner West Community Committee will be held on Wednesday 30th November 2016 at 6:00pm.

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Inner West Community Committee will be held on Wednesday 30th November 2016 at 6:00pm. No venue had been confirmed.