Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds, LS1 1UR
Contact: John Grieve 0113 224 3836
APPEALS AGAINST REFUSAL OF INSPECTION OF DOCUMENTS
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting.)
There were no appeals against the refusal of the inspection of Documents
EXEMPT INFORMATION - POSSIBLE EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC
1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
3 If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:
No exempt items or information have been identified on the agenda
There were no items identified where it was considered necessary to exclude the press or public from the meeting due to the confidential nature of the business to be considered.
To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.
(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)
There were no late items.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies for absence were received from Councillor R Procter
DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY AND OTHER INTERESTS
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2000 and paragraphs 13-18 of the Members’ Code of Conduct. Also to declare any other significant interests which the Member wishes to declare in the public interest, in accordance with paragraphs 19-20 of the Members’ Code of Conduct
There were no declarations of any disclosable pecuniary interests.
In accordance with Paragraphs 6.24 and 6.25 of the Area Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Area Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.
In accordance with Paragraphs 6.24 and 6.25 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, the Chair allowed a period of up to 10 minutes for Members of the Public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee.
On this occasion, there were no matters raised under this item by Members of the Public.
To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 13th October 2014
The minutes of the previous meeting held on 13th October 2014 were confirmed as a true and correct record.
MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
To consider any matters arising from the minutes (If any)
HGV Parking on Sandbeck Lane (Minutes Nos. 9 & 22 refer) – The issue having being raised previously, the Chair asked if there had been any progress in deterring HGV parking overnight on Sandbeck Lane. The Chair also reported that after the HGV’s had moved off, large amounts of litter were left behind which was a further problem.
In responding Chief Inspector Davison said the officers had been deployed periodically to offer advice and occasionally take action. He suggested a long term solution was needed which required the involvement of Highway officers (Nick Barras)
Your New Community Committee (Minute Nos.13 & 22 refer) – The issue of Community Infrastructure Levy (CILs) having been raised previously. In providing an update officers reported that a meeting scheduled for 21st October 2014 had not taken place but an initial scoping session had been held.
Barleyfields Community Centre (Minute No.25 refers) – In offering comment Councillor Lamb said that as part of the feasibility study the user and family group had been consulted.
The Chair, referring to resolution (ii) Leeds City Council and Wetherby Town Council to explore the feasibility of a Community Asset Transfer - asked if any progress had been made on this issue.
In responding the Area Leader said discussions were ongoing about the cost of running the building and further discussions would take with user groups, Members would be kept informed of the situation
To consider a report by Chief Inspector Matthew Davison / Lisa Raynor from West Yorkshire Police which outlines the current vehicle fleet position of West Yorkshire Police in the Outer North East area.
The report also requests Outer North East Community Committee to continue supporting funding of £6,000 per annum for fuel costs associated with the Landrovers deployed across all Outer North East wards.
Members received a report from Chief Inspector Matthew Davison, West Yorkshire Police. Beverley Yearwood, Area Community Safety Co-ordinator was also in attendance.
The report outlined the current vehicles fleet position of the West Yorkshire Police in the Outer North East area. The report also requested the Committee to continue to support funding of £6,000 per annum towards fuel costs associated with the Police Land Rovers deployed across all Outer North East wards.
In providing a breakdown of the number of police vehicles for the area, Chief Inspector Davison said that currently there was a fleet of six vehicles covering the Outer North East area. Of these, three were fully funded by WYP and the fourth was 1/3 funded by Wetherby Town Council. The four vehicles cost West Yorkshire Police £35,000 per annum plus fuel.
The additional two vehicles were Land Rovers. One was a loan from a local company, the second Land Rover was gifted by a local company and adopted under WYP capital scheme. If the vehicle was to be written off or when the repair costs were uneconomical, the vehicle would not be replaced.
It was reported that the basic costs of £4,632 for the two Land Rovers were not factored in to the West Yorkshire Police fleet budget so these costs were additional.
In raising a query Councillor Buckley suggested that the Land Rovers were not deployed in the Alwoodley area, therefore not all areas were covered.
In providing clarification Chief Inspector Davison said the use of the vehicles was limited to Farmwatch duties mainly in the rural areas of Wetherby and Harewood. But, if there was an immediate need elsewhere in the area the Police would have the right to use vehicles in neighbouring areas.
Councillor Procter asked if the fuel costs for the two Land Rovers was included as part of the fleet transport review.
In responding Chief Inspector Davison said that whilst WYP could not guarantee that the Land Rovers would not be considered in any decisions around reducing the fleet further, assurances were provided to Members that their contribution would only be billed at the end of the funding, and only if it had been used for the additionality of the Land Rovers. Full details of deployment and fleet numbers would be made available in each quarterly return.
The issue of sponsorship stickers was raised, Chief Inspector Davison suggesting the existing stickers required replacing but there was significant costs in there replacement.
Councillor Procter suggested the City Council Print Unit based at Seacroft may be able to assist in the production of the stickers at a reasonable cost.
Councillor Lamb suggested that care should be taken when dealing with sponsorship stickers.
Officers confirmed that in making reference to a particular Town or Parish Council could be problematic.
The Chair thanked Chief Inspector Davison for his attendance and presentation. Referring to the request for a contribution towards fuel cost, this would be dealt with under a separate agenda item.
(i) That ... view the full minutes text for item 38.
To consider a report by the Assistant Chief Executive (Citizens and Communities) which provides an update on the current position of the Outer North East Community Committee’s budgets and sets out applications for wellbeing funding and youth activity funding for consideration by the Community Committee.
The Assistant Chief Executive (Citizens and Communities) sub mitted a report which provided an update on the current position of the Outer North East Community Committee’s budgets and set out details of applications seeking Wellbeing Funding and Youth Activity Funding.
Appended to the report were copies of the following documents for information / comment of the meeting:
· Outer North East Community Committee Wellbeing Budget 2014/15 (Appendix A refers)
· Outer North East Community Committee Youth Activity Fund Budget 2014/15 (Appendix B refers)
Clare Wiggins, Area Improvement Manager, presented the report and responded to Members comments and queries.
Detailed discussion ensued on the contents of the report together with the appendices which included:
· Available funding for the current financial year.
· Clarification around some of the projects seeking financial assistance.
(i) To note the spend to date and current balances for the 2014/15 financial year.
(ii) To note the applications that had been approved since the Community Committee on 13th October 2014 under the delegated authority of the Assistant Chief Executive (Citizens and Communities)
(iii) That the following projects requesting Wellbeing Funding be determined as follows:
(iv) To support in principal an application from MAECare “Building Capacity in Neighbourhoods” amount to be determined following further investigations of match funding
(v) That officers be requested to clarify if the Harewood Highways Scheme and Shadwell repair scheme would spend this year.
(vi) That the following projects requesting Youth Activity Funding be determined as follows:
To consider a report by the East North East Area Leader which provides an overview of “Facebook” and how and why Community Committees could use it as a communication tool to help engage with local residents.
The East North East Area Leader submitted a report which provided an overview of “Facebook” and how and why Community Committees could use it as a communication tool to help engage with local residents.
Kim Regan, Senior Communications Officer, Strategy Resources presented the report and responded to Members comments and queries.
Detailed discussion ensued on the contents of the report which included:
· To promote the work of the community committee
· Enhance existing work by involving local people
· Promote opportunities to residents, community groups and parish and town councils including funding opportunities, volunteering opportunities, training and events.
· Increase the visibility and enhance the identity of community committees
· Develop a greater understanding within communities of the role and work of the community committee including projects funded through the Wellbeing Fund and Youth Activities fund.
· Increase awareness and understanding within communities of the role and services offered by the Area Support Team, Leeds City Council and partners
· An alternative way of communicating decision making in a transparent and user friendly way.
· An alternative way of consulting with communities which would help to reach a different, younger audience.
· Provide a new means of communicating with the Parish and Town Councils
· Advertising committee meetings
· Promoting local community events such as fairs, galas and fun days
· Promoting community meetings
· Show how community organisations and projects are being supported by the Community Committee
· Sharing and linking local groups and information
· Sharing and linking other council services including the corporate page.
Councillor Cohen questioned the value for the Community Committee to establish a Facebook page suggesting a number of Members currently had their own Facebook accounts and were already promoting the work of the Committee.
In offering comment the Chair said that all the other Community Committees had already established their own Facebook accounts and it was important that this Committee also had a presence.
Councillor Robinson expressed concern about political bias, suggestion that articles may be posted, particularly around election time promoting individual Councillors/ parties.
In responding the Area Leader said there was a politically neutral protocol in place which provided guidance around the content of the Community Notice Board. It was the responsibility of the Area Support Team to manage and monitor the notice board and respond to any inquires.
Following a lengthy discussion it was the view of Members that the Committees’ presence on Facebook be supported
RESOLVED – .
(i) To approve the development of a new communication network for Outer North East Leeds
(ii) To support the use of Facebook in connecting and sharing information with a wider audience, a review of the service to be undertaken in 12 months’ time.
To consider a report by the Assistant Chief Executive (Citizens and Communities) which set out the main issues discussed at the latest meeting of the Outer North East Parish and Town Council Forum held on 16th October 2014. The minutes of the meeting are submitted for information/ discussion.
The Assistant Chief Executive (Citizen’s and Communities) submitted a report which set out the main issues discussed at the latest meeting of the North East Parish and Town Council Forum held on 16th October 2014. The minutes were submitted for information /discussion.
RESOLVED – That the report and minutes from the Outer North East Parish and Town Council Forum held on 16th October 2014 be noted
Date and Time of Next Meeting
To note that the next meeting will take place on Monday 23rd March 2015 at 5.30pm in the Civic Hall, Leeds.
RESOLVED - To note that the next meeting will take place on Monday, 23rd March 2015 at 5.30pm in the Civic Hall, Leeds.