Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Link: to view the meeting
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor Andrew Hutchison be elected as Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. However, there was supplementary information which had been published to the web page and circulated.
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requests Members consideration on an application to vary a premises licence held by Turkuaz Restaurant, 20 - 22 Harrogate Road, Rawdon, Leeds, LS19 6HJ.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requested Members consideration of an application to vary a premises licence held by Turkuaz Restaurant, 20-22 Harrogate Road, Rawdon, Leeds, LS19 6HJ.
In attendance at the meeting were:
· Mr Kenan Karaaslan (Applicant)
· Mr Ali Yalcin (Applicant’s Representative)
· Margaret Thompson (Objector)
The Licensing Officer informed the Sub-Committee of the following points:
· Amend condition 27 of the current license to extend the time customers are permitted to use the front garden/external area up to 22:00 hours, Monday to Sunday. The current permission allows use of this area up to 20:00 hours, Monday to Sunday. Also requested the allowance for the sale of alcohol and recorded music until 00:30 hours on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.
· History of the premises was set out at paragraph 2 of the submitted report;
· Schedule copy of the existing premises licence was appended to the report at Appendix A;
· The application was attached to the report at Appendix B;
· Entertainment Licensing were in receipt of nine individual letters of objection, one of which was submitted on behalf of Rawdon Parish Council. The representations oppose this application mainly on the grounds of public nuisance;
· Supplementary information had been received from West Yorkshire Police setting out agreed measures with the applicant.
Mr Yalcin on behalf of the applicant informed the Members of the following points:
· Turkuaz has been operational for 10 years;
· During the pandemic the restaurant has been practising social distance and whilst reducing the space inside the premises have used the outside space. Therefore, they would like to increase the hours of use for outside by an extra two hours, until 22:00 hours;
· There have been no objections received from Environmental Health;
· There are 19 businesses within 50 yards of the premises, one is a bistro and one is bar, Rawdon Moustache. Also nearby there is the Peasehill Hotel and Restaurant which is licensed until 11:00pm, it was also noted that there is an Italian restaurant which has the same operating times as the hotel;
· The outside area would not become a beer garden, alcohol would only be served outside with food;
· There is enough parking space, with most customers using taxi’s or family members to drop them off and pick up. Residents nearby use the parking area in from of the premises and it was noted that there was a car park nearby;
· Currently the restaurant is open until 10pm. However, the applicant wishes to open for longer on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve until 12:30am, so that his customers can stay longer if they wish to;
· Mr Yalcin was of the view that some of the claims made by the residents were personal issues.
Miss Thompson one of the objectors advised Members of the following points:
· This area is largely residential with a number of families living in the area. However, the area is a mix of residential and commercial premises, with a number of commercial premises having apartments above them. The Peasehill Hotel ... view the full minutes text for item 6.