Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – To elect Cllr Neil Buckley as Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. However, there was supplementary information which had been circulated to all parties prior to the meeting (Minute 6 refers)
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
No declarations of interests were made at the meeting.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory sets out an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Swanpride Limited, for Martinez Wines, 8 Thorntons Arcade, Leeds, LS1 6LQ.
The Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory submitted a report for Member’s consideration on an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Swanpride Limited, for Martinez Wines, 8 Thornton Arcade, Leeds, LS1 6LQ.
Attending the meeting were:
· Jonathan Cocker - Applicant
· William Cartwright - Applicant’s Representative
· Sean (McKicks Ltd) - Objector
· Tariq (Mc Kicks Ltd) - Objector
· Nancy Amoudi (McKicks Ltd) - Observer
· David Spereall – Journalist
The Legal officer explained the procedure for the hearing.
It was noted that McKicks Ltd had sent in CCTV footage of anti-social behaviour to the rear of their premises in Swan Street for the Sub-Committee to view. However, the Legal Officer explained that this footage could not be viewed as it was against General Data Protection Regulations as the faces of the people shown could be clearly seen and could not be pixilated out.
The Licensing Officer presented the application informing the Members of the following points:
· The premises intended to operate as a drinking establishment with the provision for sale by retail of alcohol for consumption both on and off the premises.
· The premises are located within the Leeds City Centre Cumulative Impact Area, but not in either of the two designated red zones.
· The application was for sale by retail of alcohol Sunday to Thursday 11:00-23:00 and Friday and Saturday 11:00-00:00. The application was appended to the submitted report at Appendix A.
· The applicant proposed to promote the licensing objectives by taking the steps identified in Section M of the application form and supplemented by the profoma risk assessment attached to the report at Appendix B.
· A map identifying the location of the premises was attached at Appendix C.
· There had been no representations from responsible authorities. However, the licensing authority was in receipt of two individual letters of objection, both of which were opposed to the application on grounds of crime and disorder and public nuisance. Redacted copies of the letters were appended to the report at Appendix D.
· A copy of the Cumulative Impact Assessment was attached to the report at Appendix E. It had already been noted that the premises were not in the designated red zones.
· A list of licensed premises in the local area was attached to the report at Appendix F.
· Since the publication of the agenda further letters had been received in support of the application and had been provided to all interested parties as supplementary information.
Mr Cartwright the applicant’s representative provided the following information: