Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Link: to view the meeting
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Cllr Paul Wray be elected to the Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no late items.
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requests Members consideration on an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Fat Hippo Restaurants Limited, for Fat Hippo Restaurants Limited Ground Floor, White Rose House, 8 Otley Road, Headingley, Leeds, LS6 2AD.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory set out an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Fat Hippo Restaurants
Limited, for Fat Hippo Restaurants Limited Ground Floor, White Rose House, 8 Otley Road, Headingley, Leeds, LS6 2AD.
In attendance for this item were:
· Paddy Whur, Woods Whur (representing the applicant; Fat Hippo Restaurants Limited)
· Michael Phillips, Fat Hippo Group (Managing Director)
· Susan Duckworth, Principal Licensing Officer (Licensing Authority)
· Dave Parker (West Yorkshire Police)
The Licensing Officer presented the application providing the Members with the following information:
· These premises wished to operate as a restaurant providing sale by retail of alcohol everyday 11:00 -23:00 for consumption both on and off the premises;
· The proposal was for a restaurant with alcohol being sold ancillary to food sales. As set out at Section M of Appendix A;
· Representation had been received from the Licensing Authority and West Yorkshire Police due to the location of the premises being within the Cumulative Impact Area (CIA) of Headingley. Representations were appended to the report at Appendix D;
· Supporting Evidence from West Yorkshire Police was provided at Appendix E;
· A copy of the Cumulative Impact Policy was provided at Appendix F;
· Appendix G provided a list of other licensed premises in the area.
Mr Whur informed the Licensing Sub Committee of the following points:
· The Fat Hippo Restaurants are Burger Restaurants which also have premises located in Jesmond, Newcastle, Birmingham and Nottingham. Some of these restaurants are located in CIA’s;
· The restaurant was not requesting regular entertainment licence but would be a ‘true’ restaurant with 90% of sales food related;
· The applicant has taken a 10 year lease on the premises spending approximately £300,000 and would be providing about 25 new jobs;
· Fat Hippo restaurants in other locations had a good track record with no representations being made;
· These premises would be an all seating restaurant;
These premises would be an all seating restaurant;
· Attention was drawn to 7.36 to 7.38 of the Council’s Statement of Licensing Policy which sets out what factors the Committee should take into account and which factors are not relevant. It was recognised that data provided was out of date due to the 2020 pandemic;
· Members attention was also drawn to the decision in relation to the Brewdog appeal;
· Last orders would be at 11pm with the premises closing at midnight;
· No representations had been received locally with no residents raising concerns.
In objection to the application West Yorkshire Police and the Licensing Authority informed Members of the following:
· Objection was purely on the location within the CIA of Headingley;
· It was recognised that there were no crime statistics in relation to these premises as it was not currently operating. However, contact had been made with the Police in Newcastle and County Durham, it was noted that there had been no issues in relation to the Fat Hippo Restaurants in these locations;
· It was also recognised that the data was out of ... view the full minutes text for item 6.