Agenda and draft minutes

Inner North East Community Committee - Monday, 19th July, 2021 6.00 pm

Venue: Leeds Civic Hall, Rooms 6&7

Contact: Natasha Prosser 0113 3788021 

Link: to view the meeting

Items
No. Item

1.

Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).

 

(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting).

Minutes:

There were no appeals against the refusal of inspection of documents.

 

2.

Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public

1  To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.

 

2  To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.

 

3  If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-

   RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-

Minutes:

There were no exempt items.

 

3.

Late Items

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration

 

(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes)

Minutes:

There were no formal late items.

 

4.

Declaration of Interests

To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.

Minutes:

There were no interests raised at the meeting.

 

5.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr J Dowson.

 

6.

Open Forum

In accordance with Paragraphs 4:16 and 4:17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.

 

In order to facilitate the Open Forum whilst certain restrictions relating to the pandemic remain in place, the process has been adapted slightly, so that members of the public are invited to make written submissions in advance of the meeting on any matter which falls within the Committee’s terms of reference. These will be read out under the agenda item and considered by the Community Committee.

 

Minutes:

On this occasion there was a submission from Ms A Akbar on behalf of Heroes, Warriors and Leaders.

 

The submission from Ms A Akbar was as follows:

“Lots of the community are not happy with the big plant boxes blocking all our roads. In addition, this was done without consultation and during lockdown, so people did not have a choice. They should have gone through the temporary Chapeltown Neighbourhood Forum. The overwhelming response is we do not want them, petitions were raised, and we really are committed to opposing them as a community.”

 

The Committee explained that the Council are taking part in delivering the Active Travel Neighbourhoods scheme, using an experimental traffic order to trial the road closures for a maximum of 18 months. This will be monitored during this time to see whether traffic has reduced, and road safety improved. Additionally, it was confirmed that prior to permanent closure of ‘through’ traffic, a statutory process will need to be followed which includes publication of notice and formal consultation. This trial will be in place for a minimum of 6 months, and during that time, residents are encouraged to provide their submissions to the consultation.

 

Members requested that the Localities Officer feedback information to Ms A Akbar on the Active Travel Neighbourhoods scheme, and to provide the relevant link to the formal consultation website where groups can provide their views on the pilot scheme.

 

7.

Minutes of the previous meeting - 1 March 2021 pdf icon PDF 191 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the previous meeting held Monday 1st March 2021.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That the minutes of the previous meeting held on the 1st March 2021, be approved as an accurate record.

 

8.

Community Committee Appointments 2021/22 pdf icon PDF 497 KB

To consider the report of the City Solicitor that invites members to note the appointment of Cllr M Shahzad as Chair of the Community Committee for 2021/22 as agreed at the recent Council Meeting, and also to invite the Committee to make appointments to those positions detailed in section 6 / the appendices.

 

(Report and Appendices attached)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the City Solicitor noted the appointment of Cllr M Shahzad as Chair of the Community Committee for 2021/22 as agreed at the recent Annual Council Meeting, and also invite the Committee to make appointments to those positions detailed in section 6 and the appendices. The Committee was also invited to note the appointment of Cllr J Dowson as Deputy Chair.

 

The Community Committee made the following appointments:

Organisation / Outside Body

No. of Places

Appointment

Moor Allerton Elderly Care

1

Cllr M Shahzad

Community Action for Roundhay Elderly

1

Cllr Z Hussain

2Gether

1

Cllrs J Dowson, E Taylor & M Rafique (Shared Role)

Alwoodley, Roundhay, Moortown (ARM)

2

Cllr R Charlwood (Moortown) & Cllr L Martin (Roundhay)

Inner North East HAP

3

Cllrs J Dowson (Chapel Allerton), S Hamilton (Moortown) & L Martin (Roundhay)

Chapeltown LCP

1

Cllr E Taylor

Central LCP (includes Meanwood & Moortown)

1

Cllr R Charlwood

Children and Young People Champion

1

Cllr Z Hussain

Environment Champion

1

Cllr M Shahzad

Community Safety Champion

1

Cllr M Rafique

Employment, Skills and Welfare Champion

1

Cllr S Hamilton

Health, Wellbeing and Adult Social Care Champion

1

Cllr E Taylor

Corporate Parenting Board

1

Cllr Z Hussain

 

RESOLVED – To agree the appointments as set out above and to note the appointment of Cllr M Shahzad as Chair of the Inner North East Community Committee and Cllr J Dowson as Deputy Chair.

 

9.

Inner North East Community Committee - Finance Report pdf icon PDF 560 KB

To consider the report of the Head of Locality Partnerships that provides the Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund, Youth Activity Fund as well as the CRIS and Community Infrastructure Levy Budget for 2021/22.

 

(Report attached)

 

Minutes:

The report of the Head of Locality Partnerships provided the Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund, Youth Activity Fund, Capital Budget, as well as the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Budget for 2021/22.

 

Members were advised that Paragraph 14 of the report, presented the minimum conditions in relation to delegated decisions. The Committee were invited to review and consider whether any changes were required to the minimum conditions. Members were of the view that no changes were required for this coming year.

 

The projects set out in the report were discussed, and agreed as follows:

Project Title

Wards

Amount requested

Decision

Chapel Allerton Arts Re-engagement 2021

Chapel Allerton, Roundhay & Moortown

£5,025 (Wellbeing)

Agreed

Your Local Pantry, Meanwood – Year 1

Chapel Allerton & Moortown

£4,885 (Wellbeing)

Agreed

Active Communities Project

Chapel Allerton & Roundhay

£2,550 (Wellbeing)

Agreed

More than a Coffee Morning (Zumba Class)

Chapel Allerton & Roundhay

£2,790 (Wellbeing)

Agreed

Leeds Money Buddies

Chapel Allerton, Roundhay & Moortown

TBC

Deferred for further information

Environmental Summer Playscheme

Chapel Allerton, Roundhay & Moortown

£3,818.74 (YAF)

Agreed

New Horizon Summer Youth Project

Chapel Allerton, Roundhay & Moortown

£1,691 (YAF)

Agreed

 

Members received the following information:

·  An update on the Wellbeing Fund. A full breakdown and projects were provided at Table 1 of the submitted report. The total revenue funding available to the Community Committee for 2021/22 is £165,530.17, with a remaining balance of £59,589.20;

·  Delegated decisions taken since the last Community Committee held on 1st March 2021. These were set out at paragraph 28 of the submitted report;

·  Declined projects since the last Community Committee held on 1st March 2021. Details of this project was set out at paragraph 29 of the submitted report;

·  An update on the Youth Activities Fund. The remaining balance for 2021/22 is £60,727.75;

·  A breakdown of the Ward Pots 2021/22 as outlined in Table 4 of the submitted report;

·  The Capital Budget 2021/22 and an update on the remaining balance being £20,348;

·  The Community Infrastructure Levy Budget 2021/22 allocation broken down by ward as summarised in Table 7 of the submitted report. Members were informed there will be an update at the next Community Committee meeting in terms of an injection figure to this budget.

 

RESOLVED – To note and approve:

a)  Details of the ‘minimum conditions’ for delegated decisions (Paragraph 14 of the submitted report)

b)  Details of the Wellbeing Budget position (Table 1)

c)  The projects as set out above

d)  Details of the projects approved via Delegated Decision

e)  Details of the Youth Activities Fund position (Table 2)

f)  Details of Skips and Wards Pots (Table 4)

g)  Details of the Capital Budget (Table 6)

h)  Details of the Community Infrastructure Levy Budget (Table 7)

 

10.

Inner North East Community Committee - Update Report pdf icon PDF 654 KB

To consider the report of the Head of Locality Partnerships that provides an update of the work which the Communities Team is engaged in, based on priorities identified by the Community Committee. It also provides opportunities for further questioning, or to request a more detailed report on a particular issue.

 

The report provides regular updates on some of the key activities between Community Committee meetings and functions delegated to Community Committees, Community Champions roles, community engagement, partnership and locality working.

 

(Report attached)

 

Minutes:

The report of the Head of Locality Partnerships provided the Community Committee with an update of the work which the Communities Team was engaged in, based on priorities identified by the Community Committee. It also provided an opportunity for further questioning, or to request a more detailed report on a particular issue.

 

The report also requested Members to make nominations to each of the Inner North East Community Committee subgroups for 2021/22.

 

Members highlighted key activities undertaken in terms of their role as Community Committee Champions, including an update on:

·  IT equipment for schools during national lockdown for home learning and for people shielding at home;

·  A service update on the Cleaner Neighbourhoods Team and the challenges surrounding staff self-isolating and the impact this has across communities;

·  A service update on the Leeds Anti-Social Behavioural Team and the position on active cases across the North East area, including patterns/emerging trends.

 

A member raised particular concern in relation to bins being left on pavements and causing obstructions for pushchairs and those deemed partially blind. The Executive Member for Environment and Housing informed the Committee of the challenges faced by the CNT in terms of staffing and will feed back concerns to the team.

 

Members’ attention was also drawn to the following points:

·  Breeze Membership – There is an introduction of a paid annual membership to Breeze, and children on free school meals will be exempt from the £5 fee. It was noted that work is ongoing around wavering the fee for other groups of young people. The Committee acknowledged that there will many children being excluded, and further considerations need to be taken in terms of the requirements around the fee being waivered, particularly for families experiencing job losses as a result of the pandemic;

·  Community defibrillators – two new defibrillators have been installed in the Inner North East area; one in Stainbeck URC and the other at Meanwood Valley Urban Farm. Members were informed that an update on the location of defibrillators across the Inner North East area will be circulated;

·  Neighbourhood Centres;

·  The Housing Advisory Panel budget and the projects approved including Chapeltown Community Nursey, Litter Free Meanwood and Your Pantry Meanwood;

·  Community Cares Volunteer Coordinators.

 

The Committee commended the work carried out by the Third Sector over the course of the pandemic and requested their thanks to all volunteers be noted.

 

RESOLVED – To note the contents of the report, and appointments to the following sub-groups:

Inner North East Finance Sub Group 2021

Chapel Allerton Ward

Moortown Ward

Roundhay Ward

Cllr J Dowson

Cllr S Hamilton

Cllr J Goddard

 

Inner North East Community Safety & Environmental Sub Group 2021

Chapel Allerton Ward

Moortown Ward

Roundhay Ward

Cllr M Rafique

Cllr M Shahzad

Cllr J Goddard

 

11.

Inner North East Community Committee - Youth Activity Fund Consultation Report pdf icon PDF 392 KB

To consider the report of the Head of Locality Partnerships that provides the Inner North East Community Committee with an update on the Youth Activity Fund consultation with children and young people. The consultation aims to inform the Community Committee’s Youth Activity Fund spend for the 2021/22 financial year.

 

The report also provides the Inner North East Community Committee with reflections from the last year as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the challenges that this has presented Community Committees, the Communities Team and youth activity providers.

 

(Report and Appendix attached)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the Head of Locality Partnerships provided the Community Committee with the background and context on the decision not to have a youth summit in 2020/21.

 

The report provided the Community Committee with an update on the Youth Activity Fund consultation with children and young people. The consultation had been held with the aim to inform the Community Committee’s Youth Activity Fund spend for the 2021/22 financial year.

 

It had been the plan to deliver the Youth Summits virtually this year, to ensure that events could still go ahead even with Covid restrictions. However, with the lockdown in December 2020, and with schools closed until 8th March 2021, even virtual Youth Summits were not possible. Therefore, it was proposed that an online consultation survey would be produced to capture feedback on how children and young people wished to see the Youth Activity Fund spend in their area.

 

The consultation survey was promoted from Monday 15th February 2021 until Friday 30th April. Promotion of the survey was publicised widely across the Inner North East Community Committee area, and information was posted on the Community Committee Facebook page, and publicity sent out to school & cluster contacts, youth groups and other funded organisations that work with young people.

 

The Inner North East Community Committee received 57 survey responses to the survey, with all responses being completed via the online consultation survey.

 

The survey recorded that children and young people from the Inner North East Community Committee area suggested the following:

·  Activities to be offered in venues such as community centres, youth clubs and sport centres as well as activities delivered outdoors.

·  Activities to take place after school, in the evenings and on the weekend with some holiday camps.

·  Activities are inclusive of friendship groups and refreshments are available and supported by good quality staff.

·  Popular activities included, Sport Clubs such as Rugby and Football, Youth Club based activity, Cooking, Dance, Outdoor Activities.

 

The Committee were informed of an upcoming Breeze Event, that will provide officers with the opportunity to capture further young people’s views on preferred options.

 

The Committee recognised the importance of seeking providers and ensuring that the Community Committees funding priorities focus on Youth Clubs. Positive feedback was relayed in terms of a Youth Club in Meanwood and remote activity sessions with young people held by youth workers.

 

RESOLVED – To note:

a)  Reflections from the last 12 months during the pandemic.

b)  Details of the Youth Activity Fund consultation survey.

c)  That the Youth Activity Fund survey informs the Community Committee’s Youth Activity Fund for 2021/22.

d)  That any projects funded by the Community Committee from the Youth Activity Fund focus on the themes and activity priorities identified in the Youth Activity fund consultation survey.

e)  That the Communities Team arrange a physical Youth Summit with young people this financial year, 2021/22 and that this informs the Youth Activity Fund spend for 2022/23.

 

12.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note the date and time of the next formal meeting as Monday 6th September 2021, at 6 pm.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED – To note the date and time of the next meeting as Monday 6th September 2021, at 6 pm.

 

(The meeting concluded at 19.10)