Agenda and draft minutes

Development Plan Panel
Monday, 24th June, 2019 10.00 am, MOVED

Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds, LS1 1UR

Contact: Natasha Prosser 0113 3788021 

Items
No. Item

1.

Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)

 

(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting)

Minutes:

There were no appeals against refusal.

 

2.

Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public

1  To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.

 

2  To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.

 

3  If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-

 

  RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:

Minutes:

There was no exempt information.

 

3.

Late Items

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.

 

(The special circumstance shall be specified in the minutes).

Minutes:

The Panel was in receipt of the Executive Board Report and its appendices, which was considered as a late item of business. These documents could not be provided to DPP at the time of the agenda despatch, due to the publication timescales of the relevant Executive Board agenda. However, it was deemed appropriate that such matters be considered at this DPP meeting.

 

The Panel further received a set of corrections and an update version, in relation to the Executive Board Report and Appendices (Minute No. 95 refers).

 

4.

Declaration of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct

Minutes:

There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.

 

 

5.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Carter and McKenna. Councillor Lamb attended as a substitute. Apologies were also received from Till Hill, Chief Planning Officer and Jonathan Carr, Head of Development Management.

 

6.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 213 KB

To agree the minutes of the meeting held on 15th May 2019, as a correct record.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That the minutes of the Development Plan Panel meeting held on 15th May 2019 be approved.

 

7.

Site Allocations Plan Update pdf icon PDF 17 KB

The report of the Chief Officer provides Members with an update on the Site Allocations Plan prior to the Executive Board meeting on 26th June 2019.

 

(Report attached)

 

(Appendices to follow)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Further to Minute No. 56 of the meeting held 10th January 2019, the report of the Chief Planning Officer invited the Panel to note the progression of the Site Allocations Plan and invited Development Plan Panel to recommend to Executive Board that: Executive Board note the Inspector’s final report on the Submission Draft 2017 Site Allocations Plan and endorses the Site Allocation Plan.

 

It was noted that prior to the meeting, Panel Members had received a formal late item including the Executive Board report and its Appendices; Members were also in receipt of a note detailing corrections relating to the Executive Board report and Appendix 1, which were to be taken into consideration by Panel Members.

 

The Team Leader presented the report and summarised the main points detailed in the Executive Board Report. Members noted the Site Allocations Plan would be considered by Executive Board on 26th June 2019 with a recommendation that Full Council be recommended to adopt the draft Site Allocations Plan (Version for Adoption). 

 

In response to Members’ comments and concerns, the Panel received further information regarding:

 

·  Haigh Wood North (HG2-168) and Haigh Wood West (HG2-169). Officers confirmed that these specific sites are in the plan as housing allocations and are not greenbelt sites. In addition, Members requested further information on the history of these sites.

·  Land at Kirkstall Forge, Kirkstall Forge (HG2 – 234). Clarity was sought on why an area within this site had been allocated for housing. Officers explained the site had a capacity of 0 and buildings were not expected to be built on that named area and that site requirements allowed infrastructure and delivery overall. It was confirmed site requirements on ecology would be considered as part of the planning application

·  The Duty to Co-operate and the structured approach between Leeds and Kirklees Council, in particular discussions regarding schools provision and highways issues. In response, Members were informed there is a Duty to Co-Operate Working Group that meets to discuss emerging plan proposals that raise strategic cross boundary matters and further information could be provided in relation to specific plans. Officers made reference to highways assessment work and the infrastructure background paper, and confirmed that such background papers are available online and on the core document list on the Inspector’s website; links can be provided to Members upon request.

·  Officers confirmed that background papers are available online and on the core document list on the Inspector’s website; links can be provided to Members upon request.

·  Members discussed infrastructure provision and noted the intention for briefing sessions to be held with Ward Members and Development Management colleagues, in order to provide information on the proposed infrastructure provision detailed within Site Allocations Plan and how it should be implemented.

·  The housing requirement figure, and clarity on the current amount of greenbelt sites being released against that figure. Members were informed a Newsletter would be produced to provide clarity between the Site Allocations Plan and the emerging Core Strategy Selective Review.

·  In responding  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) - Scoping Report pdf icon PDF 54 KB

The report of the Chief Planning Officer advises Members of the proposed scope of the SCI and the opportunities to make planning more accessible, easier to understand with early and meaningful engagement embedded in the system.

 

(Report attached)

 

Minutes:

The Panel considered the report of the Chief Planning Officer which outlined the proposed scope of the SCI and the opportunities to make planning more accessible, easier to understand with early and meaningful engagement embedded in the system.

 

Appended to the report:

o  Summary of community feedback at Appendix 1

o  Initial draft scope of the SCI at Appendix 2

 

The Neighbourhood Planning Officer presented the report and highlighted:

·  Once adopted, the SCI will become legally binding;

·  Changes towards the attitude of printing and resource have been made and the suggestions as set out in Appendix 1 have been useful in terms of improvement;

·  The opportunity for co-producing the document with local communities;

·  Looking into a simplified user’s guide for the SCI on terminology and processes. An update on this will be provided at the November meeting.

 

Members sought clarity in regard to the two stages of consultation.  Officers confirmed that initial consultation with certain groups has already taken place.  This was part of a preliminary ‘soft-testing’ process to obtain initial feedback and early-stage suggestions.  This will be widened and continued through the summer with the intention of putting together a draft SCI.  This draft SCI will be consulted on during a subsequent, formal 6 week period in the autumn.  Officers confirmed that comments are welcomed at any stage. 

 

In responding to Appendix 2, Members raised the following concerns:

·  Determining the rights of Neighbourhood Forums and Parish Councils

·  The significant number of planning applications not including full documentation or sufficient narrative so as to enable an understanding of what development is proposed.

·  The unlikelihood of Members attending site visits during peak hours

 

Discussions with Members focused on:

·  Engaging with a wider group of people, particularly at an early-stage when developments are proposed.

·  Community involvement after decision making, including at planning appeals’ stage.

·  The importance in engaging in the community i.e. libraries and identifying ways of communicating on social media.

·  Managing expectations of and input from neighbourhood planning and special interest groups (as appropriate), as well as ensuring input from areas that are not represented by a neighbourhood planning (or similar) forum.

·  Young people and their input in the process. Members identified that the framework could be somewhat complicated, and would need to be made accessible for all ages.

·  Officers made reference to Camden council and an app for planning issues, identifying this as an area for improvement with new technology and social media as areas that could be explored going forward.

·  Members discussed the concerns on how communication and information is delivered in regard to councils, parish councils, communities and neighbourhood planning groups. Officers confirmed there was room for improvement, and raised the idea of having training sessions, in order to build relationships and understanding.

 

RESOLVED – To note the report and discussions during the meeting.

 

9.

Revised Tall Buildings Design Guide: Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) pdf icon PDF 109 KB

The report of the Chief Planning Officer requests Members consideration, in endorsing the undertaking of public consultation on the Draft Tall Buildings Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) (Appendix 1).

 

(Report attached)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Panel considered the report of the Chief Planning Officer, requesting endorsement for public consultation to be undertaken on the Draft Tall Buildings Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document (SPD).

 

Appended to the report:

o  Revised Tall Building Guide (SPD) at Appendix 1

o  Draft Wind & Micro-climate Toolkit for Leeds

 

The Principal Officer, Planning and Sustainability, presented the report.

 

The Panel discussed the following with officers:

·  That the SPD contains references throughout to the recently-declared climate emergency, but that this could also be reflected in the introductory section, for ease of reference and clarity. Officers informed the Panel of the proposal to refresh the ‘Building for Tomorrow Today’ SPD and ‘Neighbourhoods for Living’ SPD, to reflect climate issues.

·  Discussion focused on the issues arising from developers using the Draft Wind & Micro-climate Toolkit as guidance. Officers confirmed the intention going forward for wind mitigation measures for developments to lie within the red line boundary of the developer’s site and / or be integral to building design (as appropriate).

·  Members were informed that, in most instances, this will result in the expense for wind mitigation measures falling to the developer in question – albeit each application will be different and so the best approach to wind mitigation must be assessed on a case-by-case basis. A Member suggested that the definition and terminology of what is meant by a ‘tall building’, is broadened.

·  A Member suggested that there is reference to ‘green walls’ on tall buildings being included in the SPD.

·  Members identified a typographic error in the heritage and conversation section, and it was confirmed this be corrected to title public spaces of ‘greenspace and realm’.

 

RESOLVED – That subject to the incorporation of the amendments raised during the meeting, and a revised version being circulated to Panel Members:-

a)  The contents of the report and its appendices be noted.

b)  The Panel be minded to endorse undertaking public consultation on the Draft Tall Buildings Guide SPD.

 

10.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note the date and time of the next meeting as 16th July 2019 at 13:30.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED – To note the date and time of the next meeting as 16th July 2019 at 13.30pm.