To consider the report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory), including an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Mohammed Faisal Rashid, forLa La's 501 Bradford Road, Stanningley, Pudsey, LS28 8EE.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory presented an application for the grant of a new premises licence made by Mohammed Faisal Rashid, for La La's, 501 Bradford Road, Stanningley, Pudsey, LS28 8EE, and proposed to operate as a restaurant with available function rooms.
In summary, the application sought to provide:
· Sale by Retail of Alcohol
Mon - Thurs 12:00 - 00:45
Fri - Sun 12:00 - 01:00
· Late Night Refreshment
Mon - Thurs 23:00 - 00:45
Fri - Sun 23:00 - 01:00
Every Day 18:30 - 22:00
· Recorded Music
Every Day 12:00 - 00:45
Representations had been received from West Yorkshire Police and Environmental Health in their capacity as a responsible authority. Members were informed that measures had been agreed with both responsible authorities, and copies of the agreements could be found at appendix C and D of the submitted report.
Further to this, a representation from a member of the public was still outstanding, which opposes this application on the grounds of public nuisance.
In attendance at the meeting were:
Mohammed Faisal Rashid, Proposed licence Holder
Graham Goldsborough, Licence Holders Agent
Jacob Hamilton, Observing
Richard Beecham, Press
Mr Goldsborough informed the Licensing-Sub Committee of the following:
· The premise originally traded as The Farmers, for approximately 14 years before being converted into a restaurant;
· In February 2018, the premises traded under the name of Papaya, but shortly followed with financial difficulties and eventually closed;
· La La’s have branches in Wakefield, Batley and Huddersfield, and is currently operated by Mr Rashid’s father;
· Mr Rashid has held a personal licence for 10 years, and has had effective control over the other 3 premises;
· It was highlighted that the Bradford premises closed 2 years ago, and was intended to re-locate on the outskirts;
· Previous staff from the Bradford premises would be re-located from Huddersfield and Wakefield, to the proposed Pudsey premises. Additionally, the recruits from these premises had 10 years’ experience in key positions;
· There are no objections from responsible authorities, and the agreed measures would be worked with, to ensure the licensing objectives are met;
· The submitted objection related to a premises further down the road, which was nearer to the objectors home address;
· It was confirmed that live music would be for special occasions, and background music would be low-key;
· This would be a family orientated restaurant, with manageable door-staff.
In responding to Members comments and concerns, the following was confirmed:
· There is a big car park, adequate for 120 guests;
· Families seeking a wedding reception would be directed to the La La Banqueting Suites, in Bradford;
· The smoking area was to the front, due to neighbours being to the side of the premises;
· Door staff will be enforcing issues relating to noise, and signs would be displayed;
· The use of fireworks was not intended.
The Sub-Committee carefully considered the information submitted, both written and oral, and
RESOLVED – That the application be granted as applied for, with the additional conditions as agreed with the responsible authorities.
(The meeting concluded at 10:42)