The Director of Public Health has given
1. Leeds City Council (“the Authority”), in exercise of the powers conferred by regulation 4(1) of the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 3) Regulations 2020 (“the No. 3 Regulations”), gives the following direction.
2. The Authority considers that the following conditions are met—
a. this direction responds to a serious and imminent threat to public health;
b. this direction is necessary for the purpose of preventing, protecting against, controlling or providing a public health response to the incidence or spread of infection by coronavirus in the Authority’s area; and
c. the prohibitions, requirements or restrictions imposed by this direction are a proportionate means of achieving that purpose.
3. Before giving this Direction, the Authority has had regard to—
a. any advice given to it by its Acting Director of Public Health; and
b. the need to ensure that members of the public have access to essential public services and goods (including whether the individual premises forms part of essential infrastructure).
c. The Authority’s Public Sector Equality Duty under section 149 of the Equality Act 2010
4. The Authority has taken reasonable steps to give advance notice of this direction to the owner or any occupier of the premises or a person carrying on/managing a business from the premises to which the direction relates.
Authorisation was given on the 9th October to issue a direction to prohibit both venues hosting wedding ceremonies/receptions or other celebratory gatherings, meaning that the restaurants would only be able to take bookings and accept parties of up to 6 persons or single household groups. This direction was issued in order to protect the Leeds population and the populations of surrounding Local Authorities from the significant Public health risk of COVID-19 and the spread of this highly infectious disease.
In accordance with the Regulations this decision was reviewed on the 16th October and the direction notification was continued for both restaurants
A further review has taken place and the decisions taken are:-
• that the direction notification issued on 9th October 2020 to La La’s restaurant shall remain in place and be subject to further review in accordance with the Regulations in 7 days due to no communication being received and stong evidence at least one wedding has taken place despite the direction to prevent them
• that the direction notification issued on the 9th October 2020 to Mumtaz restaurant shall be revoked due to the co-operation and changes made to improve safety and regulation compliance regarding holding wedding receptions