Decision Maker: Executive Board
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To formally accept the Department for Education’s Strengthening Families, Protecting Children funding offer. Then to approve the structure and reporting proposals to support the delivery of the programme.
The Director of Resources and Housing submitted a report regarding proposals which would enable the Council to take a lead role in national improvement programmes and at the same time ensure that there was sufficient leadership capacity to maintain the Council’s own position whilst supporting other Authorities.
Members welcomed the submitted report and the recognition that Leeds had received in this area. The Board also welcomed the framework in the submitted report which looked to meet the challenge of ensuring that the Council continued to successfully support the children and young people of Leeds in addition to those in other designated Authorities.
(a) That the proposals, as set out within the submitted report, be approved, specifically with the following being agreed:-
(1) To formally accept the Department for Education’s ‘Strengthening Families, Protecting Children’ funding offer;
(2) The establishment of a ‘Strengthening Families, Protecting Children’ team including a Programme Director post, which will operate at Director level;
(3) The flexible deployment of the current Director of Children and Families to the post of Programme Director;
(4) The appointment of a temporary Director of Children and Families, subject to the decisions of the Employment Committee;
(5) To review these arrangements in 12 months’ time.
(b) That as a result of the resolutions (above), it be noted that the Chief Officer HR will, during December 2019 make the necessary arrangements to implement resolutions (a)(2) – (a)(4), with it also being noted that the Chief Officer HR will undertake a review of these arrangements in December 2020.
Reason Key: Financial Impact>£500K;
Portfolio Holder: Executive Member for Children & Families
Other reasons / organisations consulted
Trade Union consultation is ongoing
All recognised trade unions
Contact: Andy Dodman, Chief Officer Human Resources 0113 3788541 Email: Andrew.Dodman@leeds.gov.uk.
Report author: Andy Dodman
Publication date: 28/11/2019
Date of decision: 25/11/2019
Decided at meeting: 25/11/2019 - Executive Board
Effective from: 05/12/2019