Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The Chief Officer (Financial Services) submitted a report providing an update on the Council’s Capital Programme for 2020/21 as at Quarter 1 and which included an update of Capital resources and progress on spend. In addition, the report also outlined the review of the Capital Programme being undertaken as a result of the need to address the financial impact of Covid-19.
Responding to a Member’s enquiry, the Board was provided with an update on the recent announcement regarding the further provision of £22.3m of funding for the for the next phase of the Leeds Flood Alleviation Scheme on the River Aire (including £1.3m for the Natural Flood Management element of the scheme), which, it was highlighted, was subject to final business case approval.
Members provided their support for the approach being taken to restrict further capital spending whilst the programme was reviewed, which was subject to the exceptions as outlined by the Executive Member for Resources and as detailed within the report.
Responding to an enquiry regarding the actions being taken to progress the delivery of capital receipts and the disposal of surplus assets, it was undertaken that the Member in question would be provided with a briefing on such matters.
(a) That the following injections into the Capital Programme be approved:-
· £65,166.3k of 2021/22 Basic Need Grant allocation within the Learning Places Programme as set out in Appendix B of the submitted report;
· £3,822.0k of Presumption Free School Grant for East Leeds Free School as set out in Appendix B of the submitted report;
· £1,672.2k for Kirkstall Road Corridor as set out in Appendix B of the submitted report, funded by European Social Fund (ESIF) grant part of Leeds Flood Alleviation Stage 2;
· £1,534.2k for Adaptations Programme as set out in Appendix B of the submitted report, funded by Disabled facilities grant;
· £1,321.7k of other injections, primarily relating to grants for Flood Alleviation, WYCA (West Yorkshire Combined Authority) grants, various prudential borrowing schemes and some section 106, as set out in Appendix B of the submitted report;
(b) That it be noted that the above resolutions to inject funding of £73,516.4k will be implemented by the Chief Officer (Financial Services);
(c) That the latest position on the General Fund and Housing Revenue Account Capital Programme, as at quarter 1 2020/21, be noted;
(d) That the review of the Capital Programme for 2020/21 and future years which is being undertaken due to the current financial position of the Council, be noted.
Publication date: 24/07/2020
Date of decision: 20/07/2020
Decided at meeting: 20/07/2020 - Executive Board
Effective from: 30/07/2020