Decision Maker: Executive Board
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Executive Board will be asked to:
a) Agree to the adoption and publication of the Connecting Leeds Transport Strategy and first Action Plan 2021-24.
b) Accept an annual progress report of the Strategy and Action Plan
c) Agree that the Director of City Development alongside the Chief Officer Highways and Transportation will lead on implementing the delivery of the Connecting Leeds Transport Strategy and Action Plan.
d) Note that the future Action Plans beyond 2024 will require greater levels of funding and more stringent policies to achieve the targets as set out in the Connecting Leeds Transport Strategy.
Further to Minute No. 104, 16 December 2020, the Director of City Development submitted a report presenting the ‘Connecting Leeds’ Transport Strategy, Executive Summary and associated Action Plan for 2021-24 which set out the vision for Leeds’ transport provision and infrastructure during that period. Specifically, the report sought the Board’s approval for the adoption and publication of those documents following the extensive consultation and engagement exercise which had been undertaken during 2021.
In considering the report, Members discussed a range of issues, including:-
- The associated consultation process which had been undertaken, the range of actions within that and the level of response received;
- The ambitious nature of the strategy and its deliverability in the timeframes presented;
- The range of net zero carbon emission targets nationally, regionally and for Leeds, together with ongoing national transportation discussions, and the delivery of the strategy alongside such matters;
- The timing of the strategy and the need for action to be taken at the earliest opportunity;
- The need to ensure that the strategy reflected people’s adapted ways of living and working as a result of the pandemic, and the importance for the strategy to understand and provide for the bespoke needs of each community across the city. Also, Members received further information on the intention for the Council to continue to engage with communities on such matters;
- Members paid tribute to the work of the Highways and Transportation services for the work they continued to undertake in challenging circumstances. Members also discussed the capacity of the relevant services within the Council to deliver the aims of the strategy and the actions being taken where possible to increase such capacity;
- The importance for all partners, businesses and members of the community to fully engage with the aims of the strategy, in order to ensure that the required ‘step change’ was made;
- The Board discussed the impact of road works, with further detail being provided on the logistical considerations given to such works, the range of reasons why they were required, often in restricted timeframes, and the approach taken to co-ordinate such works and minimise impact wherever possible.
(a) That the adoption and publication of the ‘Connecting Leeds’ Transport Strategy and first Action Plan 2021-24, as appended to the submitted report, be agreed;
(b) That an annual progress report on the Strategy and Action Plan be submitted to the Board at the appropriate time;
(c) That agreement be given for the Director of City Development alongside the Chief Officer (Highways and Transportation) to lead on implementing the delivery of the ‘Connecting Leeds’ Transport Strategy and Action Plan;
(d) That it be noted that the future Action Plans beyond 2024 will require greater levels of funding to achieve the targets as set out within the ‘Connecting Leeds’ Transport Strategy.
Reason Key: Affects more than 1 ward;
Portfolio Holder: Executive Member for Infrastructure and Climate
Other reasons / organisations consulted
An extensive consultation and engagement process was undertaken between December 2020 and April 2021.This built on consultations already undertaken as part of the Transport Conversation and the ongoing Connecting Leeds Work.
Consultation to date:
Leader of the Council
Executive Member for Infrastructure and Climate
Director of City Development
All ward councillors
The West Yorkshire Combined Authority
Leeds Chamber of Commerce
Other interested stakeholders
Contact: Paul Foster, Transport Projects Manager 0113 378 7518 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report author: Paul Foster
Publication date: 25/10/2021
Date of decision: 20/10/2021
Decided at meeting: 20/10/2021 - Executive Board
Effective from: 30/10/2021