Agenda and minutes

Inner North East Community Committee - Monday, 14th March, 2016 6.30 pm

Venue: Allerton Grange School, Talbot Avenue, Leeds, LS17 6SF

Contact: Helen Gray 0113 247 4355 

No. Item


Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).


(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting).


There were no appeals against the refusal of inspection of documents.



Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public

1  To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.


2  To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.


3  If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-

   RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-


The agenda contained no exempt information.


Late Items

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration


(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes)


No formal late items of business were added to the agenda however Members were in receipt of a copy of the minutes of the previous meeting despatched as a supplement to the agenda (minute 56 refers)



Declarations of Disclosable Interests

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-18 of the Members’ Code of Conduct


No declarations of interest were made.



Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence


Apologies for absence were received from Councillors G Hussain and M Rafique who were attending the Leeds Apprenticeship Fair and apologies were received from Jane Maxwell, the Area Leader.



Open Forum

In accordance with Paragraphs 4:16 and 4:17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.


The following members of the public addressed the meeting under the provisions of Paragraphs 4:16 and 4:17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules (Open Forum)

Chapeltown Choice – Karen Elliott, (LCC Adults Social Care) presented information on the one year “Chapeltown Choice” project including the role of the “Community Broker” – Josscelyn Brown – and the availability of an “Activity Fund”, with grants available of up to £1000 for projects seeking to develop new activities to promote independence and tackle social isolation.

The meeting noted the information and requested that a list of GPs involved in the project be provided directly to Members


Community Committee role – Damien Murray, local resident, initiated a discussion on the role of the community committee, its meetings and workshops, as this was the first meeting he had attended.

It was noted that officers would continue the discussions informally with Mr Murray in the future



Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 82 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the previous meeting held 7th December 2015


RESOLVED – that the minutes of the previous meeting held 7th December 2015 be agreed as a correct record.



Matters Arising


Minute 43 c) Wellbeing Budget – It was reported that, following the decision to defer a decision on the “Grand Ambitions” project application, further discussions had been held and the grant had subsequently been approved as a delegated decision.



Dates, Times and Venues of Future Meetings pdf icon PDF 320 KB

To consider the report of the City Solicitor on proposed meeting arrangements for the 2016/17 Municipal Year


Having considered a report seeking consideration of meeting dates, times and venues for the 2015/16 Municipal Year, the CC


a)  To agree the following schedule of meeting dates and start times in order that they may be included within the Council diary for the 2016/17 Municipal Year (all to be held on Mondays):

20th June 2016 at 6.30pm

19th September 2016 at 6.30pm

5th December 2016 at 6.30pm

b)  That an alternative date be found for the proposed March 2017 meeting

c)  To agree to continue existing venue arrangements – to alternate meeting venues between the wards within INE CC area – and to note that venues will be confirmed at a later date



Strong and Resilient Communities pdf icon PDF 351 KB

To consider the report of the Chief Officer for Communities setting out how the Council will work better across it communities, directorate and partners to deliver a more joined up approach to community cohesion.


Liz Jarmin, Head of Community Safety Partnerships, attended the meeting to present a report which set out a refreshed approach to deliver a more joined up approach to community cohesion as well as aiming to support and safeguard those who may be vulnerable to radicalisation and extremism.


The focus of the local ‘Prevent agenda’ sought to prevent people from considering terrorism by delivering preventative activities before any crime was committed. The city wide approach would be to tailor activities to specific communities; to build a bond with those communities, discover their needs and to offer support to bring about contentment and the ability to deal with grievances and issues before problems arose.


The following matters were discussed:

·  Acknowledgement that community leaders may not be representative of all parts of a community

·  The suggestion that an informal workshop could tease out the issues which concerned the community

·  The approach of other cities

·  The link to the Council’s new “Strong Communities Benefitting from a Strong City Breakthrough Project”

·  The approach being adopted to address the Prevent agenda across various service areas within the Council.


(Councillor Dowson joined the meeting at this point)


It was noted that the recent Community Committee Chairs had agreed that the there key issues of the Breakthrough Project, Cohesion and Equality could be driven by the ten Community Committees.


The Community Committee broadly welcomed the contents of the report, particularly acknowledging the intention not to take a prescriptive approach but to engage with the community and partners first.



a)  To note the contents of the submitted report and the proposal to develop refreshed approach to the Council’s Cohesion and Prevent related activity, under the banner of the ‘Strong and Resilient Communities programme’ (draft title) and within the context of the new Breakthrough project ‘‘Strong Communities Benefitting from a Strong City”.

b)  To note the comments made by Members during discussions on how best to engage within their respective locality on this agenda, especially in light of the introduction of the statutory Prevent Duty.

c)  To note that representatives of the Council Prevent Team will be invited to attend future ward Member meetings to identify potential support arrangements that the Prevent Team can provide to Committees/Locality Teams in the development of local programmes of activity



Environmental Services Delegation - 2016/17 Priorities pdf icon PDF 4 MB

To consider the report of the Chief Officer, Environmental Action Service, seeking the views of the Community Committee on the focus of the East North East Locality Team for the 2016/17 municipal year



Councillor B Urry, Inner North East CC Environment Champion, introduced a report on proposals to refresh the Environmental Service Delegation for 2016/17. Councillor Urry noted the new functions acquired by the Environmental Action Service Locality Team during 2015/16 and welcomed the responsiveness of the team during the previous year.


John Woolmer, ENE Locality Manager, attended the meeting along with Amy Dickinson the Inner North East Area Team Leader. Members noted the request for their views on the issues they would like the Locality Team to focus on during 2016/17 in order to inform the update of the existing Service Agreement. The revised Agreement would then be considered by the Environmental advisory Sub Group and presented to the first committee meeting of the municipal year.


During discussions, the CC considered the following:

·  The success of the zonal operational working model which includes a team exclusively covering the three Inner North East wards

·  The success of the household bulky waste collection service and the reduction in the number of complaints about that service

·  The new partnership with Housing Management Leeds to address council housing stock

·  The work to increase recycling rates; with an incentive scheme being drawn up

·  The comments made in respect of the impact of the Christmas floods and the need to ensure roadside gullies and drains are maintained

·  The comment on the need to ensure that various service areas needed to work together to provide a continuous service


-  Finally the report included a request to consider two new areas of work for inclusion within the 2016/17EnvironmentalServiceAgreement in respect of: How the Council will work tosupportandensureits’tenants contribute to theeffectivemanagementofhouseholdwaste, and

-  How the EAS Team can work with the CC to identifypracticalopportunities to work withthecommunity/residentsto improverecyclingandre-useratesto help reducelandfillcosts,includinghowthatcanbemeaningfullymeasured.


a)  To note the content of the report, including the new functions  ...  view the full minutes text for item 60.


Wellbeing Budget Report pdf icon PDF 267 KB

To consider the report of the East North East Area Leader setting out the Inner North East Community Committee Wellbeing budget, including details of any new projects for consideration


Additional documents:


Clare Wiggins, Area Officer, presented a report on the Inner North East CC Wellbeing budget, including an update on the current position of the revenue and capital budgets and details of the £161,270.00 budget allocation for 2016/17 which included both Wellbeing budget and Youth Activity Funding.


The report outlined the likely carry-over of Wellbeing funding from the current year, subject to scheme slippage. Additionally, the amendments proposed to the ward budget allocations for skips, community engagement and events in response to recent expenditure were highlighted for Members consideration. The top-slicing arrangements for the Area-wide Wellbeing Budget were detailed as follows:

Neighbourhood Improvement staffing budget

Flower Planters

CCTV Chapeltown

Festive Lights






Members noted that there were no revenue or capital applications for consideration, pending a meeting of the advisory Wellbeing Working Group on 10th April 2016.


The Committee noted the important role that wellbeing funding could play for larger projects, with particular reference to the RJC Dance project, where an initial £3,652 capital wellbeing grant allowed the project to source a significant Arts Council England investment. Additionally, comments made in respect of the design of the application form for grants of less than £1000 were noted.



a)  To note the current balances for the 2015/16 and the spend to date against these budgets as set out in Appendix 1 of the submitted report

b)  To note the budget allocation for 2016/17 as agreed at Full Council on 24th February 2016

c)  To note the following delegated decisions made in relation to Wellbeing applications since the last meeting of the Inner North East Community Committee on the 7th December 2015:


Amount Awarded

Streets 2 Society

I Can Code School Clubs

Grand Ambitions

Irish History Month (2016)

Bench for Stonegate Road

Chess Board









Community Committee Update Report pdf icon PDF 320 KB

To consider the report of the East North East Area Leader which provides an update on the work programme of Inner North East Community Committee, its recent successes and current challenges. The report also provides a brief introduction to a presentation on new ways of working from West Yorkshire Police




Clare Wiggins, Area Officer, presented an update on the work programme of the Inner North East CC, its recent success and challenges. Additionally, an outline of the main issues discussed by the Member advisory sub groups and the progress of the Neighbourhood Improvement Partnerships was included.


The report also provided an introduction to a presentation from West Yorkshire Police on the new Policing delivery model.  Inspector Ian Croft and Sergeant Dave Holder attended the meeting to present the new ways of working model for the Inner North East area.


Sgt Holder spoke in detail on the following:

·  Leeds District Mission Statement

·  The District Structure Overview, with an outline of the resources available - including the Neighbourhood Team; the Crime Team; the Ops Team and the Partnerships Team

·  An explanation of the role Neighbourhood Sergeants and their supervisory responsibilities was provided, along with an overview of the specific role and responsibilities of Neighbourhood Ward Officers and PCSO’s

·  In terms of resources available, there were no noticeable or significant changes in the area


During discussions, the following issues were considered:

-  Assurances over the future of Stainbeck Police Station

-  Road traffic behavior in the locality and plans to extend 20mph zones

-  PCSO shift patterns and flexibility


The CC additionally noted updates on the work undertaken within the Community Committee Champion portfolios and discussed the following:

·  The recent launch of the Neighbourhood Improvement Partnership Board and the priority setting discussions which had identified a new priority - consideration of private landlords and how private tenants are managed

·  Recent discussions with representatives of Adult Social Care and ways to forge closer links with ward Members

·  The success of the Leeds Apprenticeship Fair

·  Councillor Charlwood, Community Committee Champion for Children’s Services provided an overview of current issues and the Champions’ priorities; including a current pilot of “mindfulness” in schools and extra funding from the Clinical Commissioning Groups to support Targeted Mental Health in Schools. The CC also noted information provided on the schools admissions and allocations in the locality


a)  That the contents of the report and the comments made during discussions be noted.

b)  That the contents of the presentation made by West Yorkshire Police on the new Policing model for local service delivery be noted.



World Triathlon Leeds pdf icon PDF 575 KB

To consider the report of the Head of Sport & Active Lifestyles on arrangements for the World Triathlon Leeds being held in and around Roundhay Park on 11th & 12th June 2016


Helen Evans attended the meeting to present the report of the Head of Sport and Active Lifestyles on the arrangements for the World Triathlon being held in Leeds on 11th/12th June 2016 with the main event being on the Sunday 12th which will consist of an amateur/mass participation event (3 distances) in the morning and then Elite Women and Elite Men in the afternoon.


The report detailed the impact the event would have on the locality – in particular the “come and try” event planned for Saturday 11th June 2016 centred in and around Roundhay Park – and Members were provided with information on the likely road closures. It was noted that the process of community engagement had begun, with residents on affected routes being notified.


During discussions, the following matters were raised as key issues:

·  Street cleansing during and after the vent

·  The need to alert residents to the event and widely advertise the highways impact

·  Local ward Members’ involvement It was agreed that a detailed highways plan would be provided for discussion at Ward Member briefings

·  A budget of £25,000 had been identified to enable local organisations and residents along the route to celebrate the Leeds 2016 Triathlon event.

·  Invitations to bid for funding would be circulated through local

·  A budget of £100,000 had been identified to support legacy work in the 4 main hubs across the city. The comment that those residents of the most effected wards should have input was noted


a)  To note the contents of the report

b)  That the comments made during discussions on ways for the local communities to maximise the opportunities generated by the World Triathlon Series be noted for action



Children's Physical Activity pdf icon PDF 300 KB

To consider the report of the Consultant in Public Health (Healthy Living and Health Improvement) on the issue of children’s physical inactivity


Jan Burkhardt presented a report on the issue of children’s physical inactivity and how this could be addressed in Inner North East Leeds to help all children be active and healthy.


The report provided an overview of the issues currently impacting on Leeds children’s physical activity and options available to increase children’s physical activity. In particular the benefits of a “Play Streets scheme” - a resident-led initiative to enable children to play freely and safely in their own street – were highlighted.


Members discussed the following related issues:

·  Availability of city wide initiatives such as Leeds Let’s Get Active

·  The success of a Play Street scheme in Gledhow and the availability of information on how residents can establish such a scheme. In response, officers confirmed that there was descriptor of the streets which could support a Play Street and application process on the LLC website


This issue was due to be the subject of the informal workshop scheduled to follow-on from the business meeting, however due the late hour, Members agreed to cancel the workshop and discuss the report.


a)  To note the content of the report

b)  To note the comments made during the formal business meeting in respect of actions that could be taken at a locality level to support children and families to be more active.

c)  To note that the scheduled workshop would now be cancelled



Community Comment

To receive any feedback or comments from members of the public on the reports presented to this Community Committee meeting.


 A time limit for this session has been set at 10 minutes.


Due to the number and nature of queries it will not be possible to provide responses immediately at the meeting. However, members of the public shall receive a formal response within 14 working days


No comments were made.



Chair's Closing Remarks


In closing the meeting, Councillor Taylor noted that this would be Councillor Urry’s last Community Committee meeting before his retirement as a Roundhay ward Councillor and thanked him for his hard work and contributions to the CC. Members expressed their best wishes for his retirement.