Agenda and draft minutes

Inner North East Community Committee
Monday, 2nd September, 2019 6.00 pm

Venue: Reginald Centre, Chapeltown Road, Leeds, LS7 3EX

Contact: Natasha Prosser 0113 3788021 

Items
No. Item

Approximately 6 representatives of the local community attended the meeting.

18.

Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).

 

(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting).

Minutes:

There were no appeals against refusal.

 

19.

Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public

1  To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.

 

2  To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.

 

3  If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-

   RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-

Minutes:

There was no exempt information.

 

20.

Late Items

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration

 

(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes)

Minutes:

The Committee were in receipt of the Get Set Leeds Report, which was considered as a late item of business. The report was unavailable at the time of publication due to scheduled clearance at the Community Committee Chair’s Forum taking place after the meeting of the Inner North East Community Committee for this cycle.

 

21.

Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-18 of the Members’ Code of Conduct

Minutes:

There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.

 

22.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors E Taylor and Tunnicliffe.

 

23.

Open Forum

In accordance with Paragraphs 4:16 and 4:17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.

Minutes:

In accordance with the Community Committee Procedure Rules, the Chair allowed a period of up to 10 minutes for members of the public to make representations or ask questions within the terms of reference of the Community Committee.

 

No matters were raised on this occasion.

 

24.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 272 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the previous meeting held Monday 1st July 2019.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That the minutes of the previous meeting held on 1st July 2019, be agreed as an accurate record.

 

25.

Matters Arising

Minutes:

Minute 10 Community Committee Appointments 2019 20 – since the previous meeting, the Committee had agreed to appoint Councillor. J Dowson as Deputy Chair for the duration of 2019/20 municipal year, in support of Councillor. M Shahzad.

 

26.

Inner North East Community Committee - Climate Emergency and Air Quality pdf icon PDF 441 KB

To consider the report of the Chief Officer, Sustainable Energy and Air Quality providing an update on the Climate Emergency and on-going work on air quality. The report explains both the climate emergency and the air quality agenda.

(Report attached)

 

Minutes:

The Chief Officer, Sustainable Energy and Air Quality, submitted a report that provided an update on the Climate Emergency and on-going work on air quality. The report provides information on both the climate emergency and air quality agenda.

 

Officers in attendance at the meeting:

  • George Munson, Senior Project Manager
  • Chad Newton, Senior Communication and Marketing Officer
  • Daniel Larkin, Graduate Local Government Officer

 

George Munson, presented the report to the Committee and provided a presentation, which focused on the following aspects:

·  Outline of the climate emergency, biodiversity and air quality challenges;

·  Key actions for individuals;

·  Overview of the climate conversation;

·  Feedback on response rate from the area;

·  Direct engagement undertaken / planned with the area;

·  Local involvement in anti-idling campaign;

·  Community car free day roll out

 

Throughout the presentation, George highlighted the following points:

·  The Big Leeds Climate Conversation will help develop a citywide plan to work towards becoming a carbon-neutral city by 2030 following the council’s climate emergency declaration earlier this year

·  Engagement has taken place with residents, Trade Unions, public sector organisations, businesses and third sector

·  Introduction of The Clean Air Charging Zone (CAZ)

·  Raising awareness of engine idling with signs, leaflets, active engagement and a series of poster competitions in schools

·  Following the Clean Air Day, a series of eleven community-led free car days have been planned

·  Improving public transport as part of Connecting Leeds and long-term Leeds City Region Connectivity transport strategies – both developed in partnership with the West Yorkshire Combined Authority

·  An electric bike and van scheme for businesses and continual communications work to promote behaviour change

·  There has been 29 events for the Climate Conversation, and of that, 1913 surveys have been filled out, with an addition of 540 shortened versions

·  Approximately 7.1 million tonnes of food is thrown away and of that, 70% is fit for consumption

·  23 million has been secured of government funding to support packages for affected businesses

·  In the Inner North East Area, 4 schools are taking part in the air quality schools programme:

o  Gledhow Primary;

o  Moor Allerton Hall;

o  St John’s; and

o  Carr Manor Primary

 

Members and residents were opened up to a discussion to provide information in relation to the best route on how to engage with the community, the barriers to change in the locality and suggestions of areas for tree planting and improving biodiversity.

 

Members of the Committee and residents, discussed the following points:

·  The definition of ‘good’ quality air and the method in how air is calculated

·  The need to take pets and children into consideration when looking at factors in how we make a difference

·  The identified issue with front gardens being paved over, resulting in a loss of greenspace. In addition, a concern was raised with the provision of space for electric vehicle charging, and a worry that further paving would be an issue. George added a planning group has been set up, to look at how planning powers are enforced

·  The need to increase grass verges with wild  ...  view the full minutes text for item 26.

27.

Get Set Leeds - Making Leeds a More Active City pdf icon PDF 415 KB

To consider the report of the Director of Public Health and the Head of Active Leeds providing the Community Committee with an update on the progress made in relation to “Making Leeds a More Active City”, an update on the development of the Physical Activity Social Movement and Ambition for Leeds, and an overview of “Get Set Leeds” and starting the city wide conversation.

 

Minutes:

The Director of Public Health, Chief Officer Consultant in Public Health and the Head of Active Leeds, submitted a report that provided information on the progress made in relation to “Making Leeds a More Active City”.

 

Those in attendance:

o  Judith Fox – Public Health

o  Gill Keddie – Active Leeds

 

Appended to the report included the Big Leeds Chat Key Themes at Appendix 1 and Survey responses from GetSetLeeds.co.uk at Appendix 2.

 

Members were provided with a short presentation, covering the following key aspect points:

·  Inclusive Growth Strategy;

·  Health benefits of physical activity;

·  Statistics for Inner North East in regard to diabetes and mental health;

·  Intention of introducing social prescribing for physical activity;

·  Liaising with residents, organisations and schools;

·  At the end of January 2020, there will be enough feedback in order to share the themes around the action plan going forward;

·  Being able to change the perspective of communities and encouraging physical activity into everyday life;

·  Health conditions and ensuring the infrastructure in the city caters for those;

·  The introduction of an app to ensure data is open and that residents will be able to easily search the availability of activities near them.

 

Members viewed a short video (Join in the Conversation - Get Set Leeds). Members were informed that the video had been used as a conversation starter at community groups, and as a way of breaking down the persona of ‘physical activity’. The video included local residents, building physical activity into their everyday life.

 

In response to comments and questions from Members, the following was discussed:

·  Deprivation had been identified as a main factor for people being inactive in the city. A Member suggested that evidence through surveys are collected from foodbanks

·  Engagement with diverse groups. The Head of Stronger Communities offered to provide details of contact groups, and that these would be sent in due course to officers in attendance.

·  Ensuring that physical activity is linked in the workplace. Officers confirmed organisations such as John Lewis, Arla UK and ASDA had already implemented health and wellbeing policies into the workplace, and that further work around this was on-going.

·  A Member referred to the Active Leeds app, and suggested that additional information is added to ensure residents are aware of what is going on in their communities, and to provide information residents are able to monitor.

 

Councillor R Charlwood and M Rafique vacated at 19:55, during discussion of this item.

 

RESOLVED- To note the contents of the report and discussions during the meeting

 

28.

Inner North East Community Committee - Forward Plan 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 605 KB

To consider the report of the Head of Stronger Communities, introducing the Inner North East Community Committee Forward Plan for 2019/20. It details the Community Committee meeting dates and sets out workshop themes, as well as providing an update on engagement with the local communities.

(Report attached)

 

Minutes:

The Head of Stronger Communities submitted a report that introduced the Inner East Community Committee Forward Plan for 2019/20. The report detailed the Community Committee meeting dates and sets out the workshop themes, as well as an update on engagement with local communities.

 

The localities officer presented the report and updated Members on the addition of themes into the schedule, and provided a brief overview of the work programme over the next 2019/20 municipal year.

 

Members noted a funding fair was due to take place on 22nd October 2019. Members suggested that this go ahead with the involvement with community foundation, heritage lottery and community groups.

 

RESOLVED – That the Forward Plan 2019/20 be noted.

 

 

29.

Inner North East Community Committee - Update Report pdf icon PDF 728 KB

To consider the report of the Head of Stronger Communities, introducing updates on some of the key activities between Community Committee meetings and functions delegated to Community Committees, Community Champions roles, community engagement, partnership and locality working.

 

(Report attached)

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Head of Stronger Communities submitted a report which provided a summary of the work programme of the Inner North East Community Committee including the Committee’s sub groups and events held in the locality since the last meeting.

 

The Facebook activity (Appendix 1) and the Inner North East Newsletter (Appendix 2), was appended to the report.

 

Preet Kundhi, Localities Officer, introduced the report and highlighted the following:

·  The Inner North East Community Committee Youth Summit was held at the Banqueting Suite in the Civic Hall on Wednesday 29th January 2019 – 92 pupils attended. The next Youth Summit will be taking place 6th November 2020;

·  The first Environment Sub Group took place on 9th July 2019, and another is scheduled for October 2019;

·  Chapel Allerton target ward work – Community Clean Ups and Environment Action Days;

·  The intensive partnership work around the use of the Black and Minority Ethnic (BAME);

·  The 1st year anniversary for the Green Gym Project was celebrated on 7th August 2019;

·  The BAME Health and Wellbeing Hub has a proposal to build a conservatory;

·  The work undertaken in the various Community Hubs;

·  Public Health Update.

 

RESOLVED- To note the contents of the report.

 

30.

Inner North East Community Committee - Finance Report pdf icon PDF 488 KB

To consider the report of the Head of Stronger Communities, which provides an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund, Youth Activity Fund as well as the Community Infrastructure Levy Budget for 2019/20.

 

(Report attached)

 

Minutes:

The report of the Head of Stronger Communities provided the Committee with an update on the budget for the Wellbeing Fund, Youth Activity Fund, Capital Budget and the Community Infrastructure Levy Budget for 2019/20,

 

Members’ attention was brought to the following:

 

·  Wellbeing Revenue Funds for 2019/20

·  Youth Activity Funds position

·  Capital Budget positon

·  Declined projects

 

A Member queried the amount in the Capital Budget and requested that a revised figure is provided at the finance sub-group.

 

RESOLVED-

a)  To note details of the Wellbeing budget position (Table 1)

b)  To note details of the Youth Activities Fund (Table 2)

c)  To note details of the Community Skips Budget

d)  To note details of the Community Infrastructure Levy Budget

e)  To request a revised figure of the Capital Budget and that this would be provided to Members’ of the finance sub-group at their upcoming meeting

 

31.

Community Comment

To receive any feedback or comments from members of the public on the reports presented to this Community Committee meeting.

 

A time limit for this session has been set at 10 minutes.

 

Due to the number and nature of queries it will not be possible to provide responses immediately at the meeting. However, members of the public shall receive a formal response within 14 working days.

 

Minutes:

The Chair noted the opportunity for members of the public to give feedback and/or queries on the reports presented during the formal part of the Community Committee meeting, the intention being that the written response would be provided within 14 days.

 

No matters were raised on this occasion.

 

32.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note the date and time of the next formal meeting as Monday, 2nd December 2019 at 6pm.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED – To note the date and time of the next meeting as 2nd December 2019 at 6pm.