Venue: Pudsey Town Hall, Council Chambers, Robin Lane, Pudsey
Contact: Debbie Oldham 0113 395 1712
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting.)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion Of The Press And Public
1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
3 If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:
There were no exempt items.
To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.
(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)
There were no formal late items. However, there was supplementary information in relation to item 8 Finance update report. This information had been published and provided to all Members and attendees of the meeting.
Declaration Of Disclosable Pecuniary Interest
To disclose or draw attention to any Disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.
Apologies For Absence
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors D Blackburn, Andrew Carter, T Wilford, and R Wood.
Open Forum / Community Forum
In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.
On this occasion there were no members of the public who wished to speak at the Open Forum.
To receive the report of the North West Locality Safety Partnership to provide Members of the Outer West Community Committee with an overview of the Neighbourhood Police Team and Partnership priorities in Outer West covering from September – December 2016.
Tanya Wilkins the new Inspector for Outer West area introduced herself to the Outer West Community Committee Members.
Councillors requested that a meeting be set up with the new Inspector.
The report of the North West Locality Safety Partnership was presented by Sgt. Louise Julian of West Yorkshire Police (WYP).
The report provided Members with an overview of the Neighbourhood Police Team and Partnership priorities for the Outer West covering the period September – December 2016.
Members were informed of the following:
· A change in how burglary is recorded means that not comparing like for like. However, the crime data for Outer West showed a decrease in the number of burglary dwellings being recorded.
· It was noted that there is currently an emergent problem with motor vehicles being taken in burglary offences across Outer West area. This increase was consistent with recorded offences across the Leeds District.
· A significant decrease in theft from motor vehicles
· A slight increase in theft of motor vehicles but this is lower than the rise in incidents across Leeds. It was noted that the increase was due to the current trend of theft of Ford Transit vans and motorcyles or scooters.
· Anti-Social Behaviour had seen a reduction in the Outer West area.
· Police would be holding roadshows in ward areas to raise awareness on crime of vehicles, from vehicles and encourage the marking of vehicles and tools etc.
· It was noted that there had been an increase in nuisance vehicles which related to parking issues.
· Noted that issues in relation to the Aagrah restaurant and the use of fireworks on their site had now been resolved.
· Partnership Action Days had taken place at the Bawns and the Heights
· Partnership working had assisted in reducing the calls for service in relation to Anti-Social Behaviour and safeguarding issues at Pudsey bus station.
· The funding for PCSO’s located at the Owlcotes Centre had stopped. However, M&S were looking to reinstate security as part of the security measures for Owlcotes Centre.
The Chair thanked the Sergeant for her presentation saying that the relationship between the Police and the Members of the Outer West area was good and asked for Members to be kept informed of any issues.
To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 28 September 2016.
RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting held on 28th September 2016 be approved as a correct record.
In relation to minute 23 of the minutes from the last meeting on 28th September 2016, Members were informed that Cllr. T Wilford would be taking up the role of Children’s Service Champion and Corporate Parenting Board representative.
To receive the report of the West North West Area Leader which provides the Outer West Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund for 2016/17 and the current position of the Small Grants and skips pots. This report also provides monitoring for quarter 1 and 2 for projects funded in 2016/17, applications received for funding from the Wellbeing Revenue Fund and an update on the Youth Activity Fund.
The report of the West North West Area Leader provided the Outer West Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund for 2016/17 and the current position of the Small Grants and skips pots.
Members were provided with quarter 1 and 2 monitoring report for projects funded in 2016/17 at appendix 1 of the submitted report.
Members were informed that the remaining budget for Wellbeing Revenue in 2016/17 was £8,864.50.
Members were asked to consider 2 large grant applications these were listed at paragraph 12 of the submitted report;
· Seagulls Reuse Limited – Owlcotes Subway. To plan, coordinate, deliver and install a large scale community mosaic for the entrance of the subway leading to the Owlcotes Centre at the end of Primrose Hill. The work would be carried out with participation and involvement of the Community.
· Outer West Environment Sub Group – Dog Fouling Campaign. To provide and fully install composite material signs designed by local primary school children as part of the Outer West Environment Sub Group Campaign against dog fouling. The signs are to be placed in suitable locations as identified through a mapping exercise undertaken of the main hotspot areas in the Outer West area.
It was noted that should these applications be approved this would leave £3,274 in the Wellbeing Revenue budget for 2016/17.
Members attention was drawn to paragraph 15 of the submitted report in relation to two small grant applications that had been submitted since the last meeting.
Members noted that the remaining balance for Capital monies was £40,300
Members were informed that a consultation exercise had taken place with young people to find out what range of activities they would like next year. The findings were attached at appendix 4 of the submitted report.
Members noted that £6,000 was to be allocated to Youth Activities Fund for Farnley and Wortley ward. The sum of £2,490 had been funded for dance sessions to be delivered in the ward, by Dance Action Zone Leeds (DAZL).
Members considered the applications provided in the supplementary information;
1. Bramley Elderley Action pop up supper at Swinnow, £2,255 requested.
2. Target Hardening Project for door and window locks, spy holes and door chains for the most vulnerable in the Outer West area. An Officer from the Police and Care and Repair were at the meeting to answer questions.
3. Youth Activities Fund: Love Pudsey Café. The request was to look at changes to the project which would include provision of workshops and food.
Cllr. R Lewis joined the meeting during the consideration of this item
RESOLVED – That the Committee:
· Note the current budget position for the revenue Wellbeing Fund 2016/17
· Note the content of the quarter 1 and 2 monitoring returns for projects funded in 2016/17 (Appendix 1)
· Consider applications received for funding from the Wellbeing Revenue pot at Table 1 (Appendix 2 and 3)
o Seagulls Reuse Limited – Owlcotes Subway - £4,360 – APPROVED
o Outer West Environment Sub Group ... view the full minutes text for item 38.
To consider the report of the Chief Officer, Environmental Action Service for the continuation of the current Service Level Agreement (SLA) between the Committee and the Environmental Action Service, as overseen on its behalf by the Environmental Sub Group (Chaired by Councillor Mick Coulson). To provide opportunity for the Committee to refer SLA performance issues to the sub group to look at on its behalf. Including any potential changes in local priorities, service development requests for the 2017/18 SLA.
The report of the Chief Officer Environmental Action Service was presented by John Woolmer, Head of Service.
The report asked Members to confirm the continuation of the current Service Level Agreement (SLA) between the Committee and Environmental Action Service, as overseen on its behalf by the Environmental Sub Group.
Members were asked to consider any potential issues for next year’s SLA 2017/18 and to refer them through the sub group.
It was noted that an email had been sent to Members in relation to de-leafing. This issue had been particularly difficult this year with the lateness of the fall, the amount that had fallen and the impact of rainfall on the leaves making them slippery.
Members were informed that due to the issues encountered with the leaf fall a review was taking place to look at improvements for next year. Members were invited to pass on any comments that would improve the service.
Members were informed that the service would be undertaking reductions to make savings. This would not be through frontline staff but through managerial reductions, although overtime would be part of the reductions.
Members were informed that the service would concentrate on zonal working as this approach had worked well.
Councillors discussed the following points:
· Joint working with Parks and Countryside in emptying bins located in parks over the weekend period
· De-leafing in town centre still an issue
· Litter in the town centre is an issue
· Need to prioritise certain sites particularly in relation to the elderly.
The Chair reminded Members that he had sent an email asking Members for areas that had been of particular issue with regard to leaf fall so that it can be dealt with at Environmental sub group.
RESOLVED – That the Community Committee:
a) Approve the continuation of the existing Service Agreement;
b) Consider any current SLA performance concerns that it would like to refer to the Outer West sub group to look at in more detail;
c) Consider if there are any changes it would like to see in the SLA for 2017/18, in order to give the service time to consider and respond through the sub-group.
To receive the report of the Parks Technical Manager to provide the Outer West Community Committee with an update on the Parks and Countryside Service activities in the Community Committee Area.
The report for Parks and Countryside interim update was presented to the Committee by the Parks Technical Manager. The report was provided at the specific request of the Community Committee Chair.
Members noted that Parks and Countryside would provide full details in the scheduled annual report of the service. The annual report would include the budget position, the outcome of residents consultation exercise carried out in partnership with University of Leeds and the latest Leeds Quality Park assessment results. The report would also include performance information on frontline services and predicted savings.
Members were informed of the following points:
· Of the 62 parks across the City the Outer West area has 9 community parks along with a number of cemeteries and recreation grounds
· Pudsey Park holds a Green Flag status as part of the Leeds Quality Park Status (LQP). A list of the criteria was set out at point 7.1 of the submitted report. It was noted that the LQP requires a management plan however, there were not enough resources to produce a plan and the Green Flag is on physical criteria only.
· Members were informed that the cricket pitch at Farnley Park was no longer in use by a LOCAL team. It was noted that the pitch is still there but teams now preferred the 3G artificial pitches which let them play throughout the year.
· Point 5 of the submitted report focused on the volunteering that had taken place over the past 12 months. It was noted that this continues to work well and that volunteering both in groups and corporately had increased. The activities that the volunteers had undertaken were listed.
· In 2016 48 events took place in the Outer West area, which demonstrated the value that people in the area placed on the facilities.
· Members noted that only 6 of the 9 parks in Outer West reached the required standard. Work was taking place to bring these in line with other parks in the area. Planned and proposed work was set out at 7.7 of the submitted report.
· Members were informed that the removal of old changing rooms in Queens Park had not yet happened and that this issue was currently being looked at.
· It was noted by the Committee that the site based gardeners had worked well and that Parks and Countryside had again submitted an application for Wellbeing funding.
· The co-ordinated work with Environmental Services was working well in particular the emptying of litter bins by Environmental Services over the weekend. This had benefitted the service letting Parks and Countryside teams tend to the gardens.
RESOLVED - That the Community Committee note the contents of this interim report and record that the scheduled Parks and Countryside annual report will be made available after February 2017.
The Co-opted Member Canon Paul Ayres arrived at the meeting during this item.
To receive the report of the Chief Officer Housing Management to update and advise the Community Committee of activities undertaken by the Housing Service, especially those which impact on local communities and where there are opportunities to work collaboratively to improve conditions for local people.
The report of the Chief Officer Housing Management was presented by the Area Housing Manager.
Members were informed the Pudsey and Wortley Housing teams were now based together at one location on Heights Drive.
The Committee were informed that within Housing Services the priorities were:
· 30 day turnaround
· Rent collection
· Impact of Welfare Reform
· Annual Tenancy Visits
· Capital Programme
It was also noted that Housing Leeds were actively involved in the Neighbourhood Improvement Partnership – Heights and Bawns which was proving to be effective with a focus on four key priority areas:
· Crime and Grime
· Health and Wellbeing
· Training and Skills / Employment and Income.
The Housing Manager, Tenant Involvement provided Members with an update on the following:
· Housing Advisory Panel (HAP)
o The panel budget for the year was £82.238 to consider and support a range of environmental and community related projects within the area. 17 projects had been supported to date including Community Payback in partnership with West Yorkshire Rehabilitation Service, the Big Lunch and the Parenting Programme at Swinnow Children’s Centre.
The following points were raised by the committee:
· Future reports should reflect more information in relation to Farnley /Wortley.
· The funding for Community Payback to be looked at by officers
· The removal of the barrier at Acres Hall Crescent which had been funded by HAP money
· Better co-ordination of capital programme repairs
· Need to address priorities for properties in the area
The Community Committee requested that a further report be brought to the Community Committee meeting on the 1st March 2017.
RESOLVED – That the Community Committee note the report.
To receive the report of the Children’s Services Lead Officer to provide members with a comprehensive data set of children’s information and to highlight any local priorities.
The Targeted Services Area Lead presented the report of the Children’s Services Lead Officer. The report provided Members with a comprehensive data set of children’s information.
The Members noted the three obsessions identified in the Children and Young People’s Plan:
1. Reducing the need for children to be looked after
2. Improving attendance
3. Reducing those not in Education, Employment or Training (NEET)
Members were informed that there were 76 looked after children in the Outer West area, a rise of 2. It was noted that this did not indicate a rise in the underlying level of need within the area.
The number of children subject to a child protection plan had remained level, at 27.
Total contacts made to Children’s Social Work Services were in the most recent reporting period. However it was too early to draw conclusions about a reduction in the underlying level of need in either the Outer West or the city.
Members were informed that attendance levels in the Outer West were higher than the city averages at both primary and secondary level. However, persistent absence was lower in the Outer West area than the city averages.
There were now 109 young people categorised as NEET a reduction of 20 since December 2015. There was also a reduction in the number of young people whose status is unknown. From this information it can be deduced that the targeted advice, guidance and support are assisting young people in the area to secure education, employment or training.
Members were informed of the changes to funding in relation to the Clusters. They were informed that Farnley Academy had opted not to provide funding however Children’s Services will continue to work with the school.
Members expressed concerns for the other
Clusters within the Outer West area. Members asked that they be
Members discussed data sharing and were informed that Leeds had robust agreements on place and had been proactive in supporting people.
RESOLVED – That the Community Committee note the content of the report.
Any other business
The Chair informed Members of the Committee that the co-opted member Canon Paul Ayres was resigning from the Committee due to being recently appointed as Archdeacon of Leeds and relocating to Alwoodley to take up the appointment.
The Committee congratulated Paul on his appointment.
The Chair thanked Paul for his contributions to the Community Committee and wished him every success in his new role.
Date and time of next meeting
The next meeting of the Outer West Community Committee will be held on 1st March 2017, at 6:30pm. Venue to be confirmed nearer the time.
The next meeting of the Outer West Community Committee will be 1st March 2017, at 1:00pm.