Venue: West Leeds Scouts, The Lanes, Pudsey, LS28 7AQ
Contact: Debbie Oldham 0113 37 88656
The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting.)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion Of The Press And Public
1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
3 If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:
There was no exempt information on this occasion.
To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.
(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)
There were no late items.
Declaration Of Disclosable Pecuniary Interest
To disclose or draw attention to any Disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests made.
Apologies For Absence
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies for absence had been received from Cllr. R Wood.
Open Forum / Community Forum
In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.
In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.
Chair was in receipt of an email From Mr Martin Stanley a resident of Pudsey who had attended the Community Committee workshop on the Transport Conversation held in September 2016. The Chair read the email to the Committee:-
“I note with dismay some of the comments in the report compiled by Aecom, but I believe these must be viewed in the context of the construction of the cycling facilities was ongoing whilst the survey was being undertaken.
Therefore congestion was prevalent due to the construction, and the benefits of the scheme had yet to be realised. While I too think the scheme is not perfect, it is definitely the direction that we should be going and as evidenced by the recorded numbers of people using it, has enabled people to switch to cycling.
I would also like to raise an inaccuracy in the Summary of discussion document of the meeting on 28th September 2016. (Attached)
Workplace car parking scheme - like Nottingham?
This was my suggestion and should in fact read:
Workplace parking levy - like Nottingham.
The former makes it sound like I suggested more workplace parking, when in fact the levy is designed to incentivise workplaces to invest in sustainable and public transport. The money raised by the levy is ring fenced for sustainable and public transport improvements.
I would appreciate if this error could be noted and rectified.”
The Chair requested that this was included within the formal minutes.
The Community Committee noted the error and informed Transport Services Officers of the error
The Chair had been made aware that Mr Lodge also a resident of Pudsey was attending the meeting and wished to ask a question in relation to Item 9 - Leeds Health and Care Plan: Inspiring Change through better conversations with citizens. However, Mr Lodge had requested that he wished to listen to the presentation first and then if necessary ask his question. The Chair was agreeable to this and informed the Committee Members of his intention to allow Mr Lodge time to ask his question at the end of the presentation.
To approve the minutes of the Outer West Community Committee held on 27th September 2017.
RESOLVED - The minutes of the meeting held on 27th September 2017 were approved as a correct record.
To consider the report of the West North West Area Leader this report provides the Outer West Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund and Youth Activities Fund for 2017/18 and the current position of the Small Grants and skips pots. The report also provides an update on the Wellbeing Fund, Youth Activity Fund, Small Grants and Skips that have been approved since the last meeting.
Members considered a report of the West North West Area Leader which provided the Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund and Youth Activities Fund for 2017/18 and the current position of the Small Grants and skips pots.
Members’ attention was drawn to point 9 of the submitted report informed Members that an allocation of £104,670 had been received for the 2017/18 financial year. Members heard that after project underspends and carry forward figures from 2016/17, the total fund available for new projects in 2017/18 was £112,237.06. This funding had been committed to 26 projects for 2017/18. Table 1 of the submitted report outlined Wellbeing applications which had been approved since the last meeting.
Members were informed that Appendix 1 of the submitted report showed details of monitoring returns provided by Wellbeing projects funded in 2017/18. It was noted that some projects were still to provide monitoring information.
Members were also informed of the latest update from the Council’s Finance Department showed there was £33,900 in capital monies available for allocation in 2017/18.
It was noted that the Youth Activities Fund had now been fully committed, although there could be some underspends.
The Committee heard that Members representing all 3 wards had met on 10th November to discuss the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and how they wished to use the money for the allocation of the Community Committee element of the Neighbourhood Fund in Outer West. The recommendation was that any funds raised through CIL would be retained by the ward in which it was generated.
Members discussed the funding of bands in the parks, Members agreed in principle to fund the bands in the parks project for next year 2018/19.
RESOLVED – To:-
· Note the current budget position for the revenue Wellbeing Fund for 2017/18 and applications that had been approved since the last meeting at Table 1 of the submitted report.
· Note the content of the end of year monitoring returns for projects funded in 2017/18 at Appendix 1 of the submitted report.
· Note the current budget position for the small grants and skips
· Note the current budget position for the Capital Wellbeing Fund for 2017/18.
· To agree in principle the funding for bands in the park for 2018/19.
To receive the report of the Chief Officer Health Partnerships to provide the Outer West Community Committee with an overview of the progress made in shaping the Leeds Health and Care Plan following the previous conversation at each Community Committee in Spring 2017.
Head of the Leeds Health and Care Plan, Health Partnerships, Paul Bollom was at the Community Committee to present the report on Leeds Health and Care Plan: Inspiring Change through Better Conversations with Citizens.
Cllr. Josie Jarosz as the Community Committee Champion for Health, Wellbeing and Adult Social Care introduced the item. Cllr. Jarosz thanked the Chair for allowing Mr Lodge to ask his question at the end of the item.
Cllr. Jarosz said that this report tried to be open, honest and transparent in its approach on the Health and Care Plan for Leeds and how the city intended to spend money on services.
Hannah Howe, Director of Forum Centre as a third sector partner spoke to the presentation.
Ms Howe explained that the new plan joined up all health care services including those from the third sector giving them a voice in the plan for Leeds.
Ms Howe said that the Leeds Health and Care Plan was the city’s approach to closing the three gaps that had been nationally identified by health, care and civic leaders. It was noted that these gaps had been identified as being health inequalities, quality of services and financial sustainability. She went on to say that the plan provided an opportunity for the city to shape the future direction of health and to transition towards a community focused approach, which understood that good health was a function of wider factors such as housing, employment, environment, family and community.
The Committee heard that the main drain on the health service was not always medical but supportive intervention, this new plan recognised the need for support services that could be offered within the city.
Leeds want to focus on having great preventative services and were putting more resources into prevention and support services especially in relation to mental health.
A copy of the proposals to be addressed by the Health and Care Plan was tabled at the meeting. It focussed on the key areas of the plan as Prevention, Self-Management and Proactive Care, Optimising Secondary Care and Urgent Care and Rapid Response and set out key actions to be undertaken.
The Community Committee were informed that communities would be consulted as the Health and Care Plan evolved.
Dr Keene, a GP at West Leeds Family Practice and representing the Pudsey GP’s was at the meeting and addressed the Committee.
Dr Keene said that the success of the plan would be good communication across the services and agencies. He explained that there were difficulties at present with the different services often spread across a location and using different systems. However, this was being addressed through the plan with partnerships forming and coming together as neighbourhood teams to form Hubs bringing better communication and consistency in approach by services and agencies.
Mr Lodge a resident of Pudsey at the discretion of the Chair had been given permission to ask a question at the end of the presentation.
Mr Lodge explained to the Committee that his wife had ... view the full minutes text for item 32.
To receive the report of the Chief Officer Highways and Transport which provides the Community Committee with feedback from the Transport Conversation and specifically the feedback from this committee and community area, as well as a summary of the Leeds wide transport proposals and development of a Leeds Transport Strategy.
The Chair again read an email that he had received from a local resident at the start of this presentation as Gary Bartlett, Chief Officer, Highways and Transportation had not been present at the start of the meeting. Minute 29 refers.
The Community Committee had received the report of the Chief Officer Highways and Transport, Gary Bartlett which updated the Members on the Leeds Transport Conversation following the report, presentation and workshop at the Committee in September 2016.
The Chief Officer explained that from the feedback received residents had provided suggestions they wished to see on both short and long term improvements. He said that it was not surprising that people had fed back they preferred to travel by car for the following reasons; comfort, door to door, and reliability rather than use public transport.
The Chief Officer said that overall the response to the survey had been high and that a total to 680 respondents were from the Outer West area this was 8% of the overall feedback returned. The top three priorities for transport investment indicated by the Outer West respondents was:-
· Criticism of the cycling improvements/waste of money
· Invest in tram system
· More reliable bus service
It was also noted that other key issues highlighted were improvements to cycle facilities, expanded rail service, tackling traffic congestion, cheaper/better bus fleets, better connections with surrounding areas and a more frequent bus service.
The Chief Officer provided examples of work already ongoing in the Outer West area this included:-
· Highway improvements to roundabouts at Thornbury and Rodley
· Improved parking at New Pudsey Station and were currently looking at improving access also.
The Members noted that the two park and ride schemes at Elland Road and Temple Green were being well used and it was hoped that other park and rides would be completed in the future.
Neil Wallace from WYCA was also at the meeting. He provided Members with information on investment into the bus services.
Mr Wallace informed the Members that by 2020 Leeds would have 248 new buses. The new buses would all be of the low emission standard, have free wifi and next stop announcements. He said that not only were First Bus to use low emission buses but also Arriva and Transdev were committed to this.
The Committee heard that the bus services were looking at improvements to the following:-
· the reliability of the buses;
· long journey times;
· poor connectivity between bus and rail networks
Mr Wallace advised Members that the bus service was developing a scheme for more real time information in shelters and on bus stops where no shelter was provided.
In response to Members questions the Committee were provided with the following information:-
· To address issues of air quality the bus services First, Arriva and Transdev would be converted to electric buses by 2020. It was noted that electric buses were already being trialled in Leeds.
· That buses had an agreement that engines would not be left idling in centre but this was ... view the full minutes text for item 33.
Date and time of next meeting
To note the next meeting of the Outer West will be 28th February 2018.
To note that the next meeting of the Outer West Community Committee will be Wednesday 28th February 2018 at 1.30pm.