Venue: Council Chambers - Pudsey Town Hall Robin Lane, Pudsey, LS28 7BL
Contact: Debbie Oldham 0113 37 88656
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting.)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion Of The Press And Public
1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
3 If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:
There were no exempt items.
To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.
(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)
There were no formal late items. However, there was supplementary information in relation to agenda item 10 Finance Update Report. This was circulated to all Members prior to the meeting.
Declaration Of Disclosable Pecuniary Interest
To disclose or draw attention to any Disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.
Apologies For Absence
To receive any apologies for absence.
Apologies were received from Cllr. Mark Harrison.
Chairs Opening Remarks
The Chair welcomed all to the Community Committee.
The Chair said a thank you to former Councillors Mick Coulson and Rod Wood. It was agreed that the Chair would write Mick Coulson and Rod Wood to thank them for their contribution to the Outer West area.
The Chair welcomed the new Members to the Committee and hoped that they would all continue to work well together for the benefit of the Outer West area.
Open Forum / Community Forum
In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.
In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.
On this occasion Mr Shah attended the Committee as a member of the Neighbourhood Improvement Partnership for the Heights and the Bawns.
Mr Shah wanted to ask the Community Committee how they planned to continue progressing the work on the Heights and Bawns in regards to the strategic plan and how partners could work collaboratively on improving the neighbourhood.
The Chair thanked Mr Shah for attending the Committee and informed him that a brief update was going to be provided as part of the Community Committee update.
It was noted that Cllr. Gibson also wished the continuation of this initiative.
To approve the minutes of the Outer West Community Committee held on 28th February 2018.
RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting held on 28th February 2018 be approved as a correct record.
The Chair asked agreement of the Community Committee that a Vice Chair be nominated to the Community Committee as it had done in previous years.
Cllr. Andrew Carter proposed Cllr. Amanda Carter as the Vice Chair of Outer West Community Committee.
It was the agreement of the Members that Cllr. Amanda Carter be the Vice Chair of the Outer West Community Committee for municipal year 2018/19.
The report of the City Solicitor requests Members to note the appointment of Councillor David Blackburn as Chair of the Community Committee for 2018/19 as agreed at the recent Annual Council Meeting, and also to invite the Committee to make appointments to the following, as appropriate:-
• Those Outside Bodies as detailed at section 19 / Appendix 1 of this
• One representative to the Corporate Parenting Board;
• Community Committee Champions: and
• Children’s Services Cluster Partnerships.
The report of the City Solicitor requested that the Committee note the appointment of Cllr. David Blackburn as Chair of the Outer West Community Committee for the duration of the 2018 -19 municipal year.
The Committee were invited to make appointments to the following:
· Outside Bodies as detailed at section 19 and Appendix 1 of the submitted report;
· One representative to the Corporate Parenting Board;
· Community Committee Champions as listed within the submitted report; and
· Children’s Services clusters.
The submitted report informed Members that the Constitution requires that Community Committees appoint Member ‘Champions’ in several designated areas. The areas are:
· Environment and Community Safety;
· Children Services;
· Employment, Skills and Welfare; and
· Health, Wellbeing and Adult Social Care
The Committee discussed a number of points in relation to the appointments including:
· Dates not provided to Members for the Pudsey Cluster and the Members view that this Cluster did not work
· Membership of the sub groups
Cllr. Amanda Carter to meet with the Communities Team to set up an Environment sub-group. It was proposed that Cllrs. D Blackburn, S Seary and Andrew Carter sit on this sub-group.
An error was noted on Appendix 1 of the submitted report. It had been recorded that former councillor Jarosz had sat on the Borough of Pudsey Charity However, the appointed representatives had been Cllr. Andrew Carter and Cllr. Richard Lewis.
RESOLVED – To:
· Note the appointment of Cllr. David Blackburn as Chair of the Community Committee for the duration of 2018/19 municipal year.
· Appoint Cllrs. Richard Lewis and Andrew Carter to the Borough of Pudsey Charity
· Appoint Cllr. Peter Carlill to the vacancy on Calverley Charity
· Appoint Cllr. Peter Carlill to the vacancy on Farsley Charity
· Appoint Cllr. Mark Harrison to Joseph Lepton’s Charity
· Appoint Cllr. Simon Seary to the vacancy on Thomas and Sarah Lund’s Almshouse Trust
· Appoint Cllr. Amanda Carter to Environment and Community Safety Champion
· Appoint Cllr. David Blackburn to Employment Skills and Welfare Champion
· Defer until September appointing to Health, Wellbeing and Social Care
· Appoint Cllr. Peter Carlill to Children’s Services
· Appoint Cllr. Peter Carlill to Corporate Parenting Board
· Appoint Cllr. Ann Blackburn to Farnley Cluster
· Defer until September appointment to Pudsey Cluster
The report of the Chief Officer Housing Management seeks Ward Councillor nominations from Outer West Community Committee to the Outer West Housing Advisory Panel (HAP)
The report of the Chief Officer Housing Management invited nominations from the Outer West Community Committee to the Outer West Housing Advisory Panel (HAP)
RESOLVED – To appoint Councillors Ann Blackburn, Peter Carlill and Richard Lewis to the Outer West HAP.
The report of the West North West Area Leader provides the Outer West Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund and Youth Activities Fund for 2018/19 and the Current position of the Small Grants and skips pots.
The report also provides an update on the Wellbeing Fund, Youth Activity Fund, Small Grants and Skips that have been approved since the last meeting.
The report of the West North West Area Leader updated the Community Committee on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund and the Youth Activity Fund for 2018/19 and the current position of the Small Grants and Skips pots.
Members were informed that the Community Committee had received an allocation of £112,390 for the financial year 2018/19. Funding had now been committed to 22 projects leaving the Committee with a balance of £15,416 still available for allocation for Wellbeing Revenue.
Members were invited to consider a number of applications which had been received / approved since the last meeting which were set out at Tables 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the submitted report. Members were also asked to consider the amendment to an application from the 24th South West Leeds (Farnley) Scout Group at point 18 of the submitted report.
The Committee were advised on the minimum conditions for taking of delegated decisions outside of the Community Committees which was set out at point 23 of the submitted report.
Members discussed the forthcoming centenary commemorations for the end of World War 1 in November. It was suggested that each ward should save £800 as a contingency fund towards events for the commemorations.
Members discussed the distribution of CIL money. Members were informed that a CIL officer had now been appointed who was producing guidance on CIL for Members and that there would be workshops.
Members were advised that Appendix 1 provided monitoring information of projects funded last municipal year.
RESOLVED - To:
· Note the current budget position for the revenue Wellbeing Fund for 2018/19 at Appendix 1 and note or consider applications that have been approved / received since the last meeting at Table 1 of the submitted report
· Note the current budget position for the Small Grants and skips and those applications that have been approved since the last meeting at Table 2 and 3 of the submitted report
· Note the budget position for the Capital Wellbeing Fund for 2018/19 and note or consider applications that have been approved / received since the last meeting at Table 4 of the submitted report
· Consider the amendment to the Farnley Scout Hut refurbishments project set out at point 18 of the report
· Note the current budget position for the Youth Activities Fund 2018/19 and note or consider applications that have been approved / received at table 5 of the submitted report
· Note the minimum conditions as set out in point 23 of the submitted report, approve the conditions for operation in 2018/19.
1. Leeds LGBT and Sport Fringe Festival - £2,000 APPROVED
2. More than Food – Disability Advice Services Lower Wortley – £2,968 APPROVED
3. Rodley Christmas Lights – Top up - £651 APPROVED
4. Leeds Walking Football Project - £500 APPROVED
5. Irrigation Project at Stanningley Sport and Amateur League Club Ltd - £2,500 APPROVED
7. Outer West Music Workshop DJ School UK - £2,880 - APPROVED
Refurbishment work to the Scout Hut of 24th South West ... view the full minutes text for item 11.
The report of the West North West Leader is submitted when there is additional committee business to report or a general update on other activity in the Outer West area. Partner organisations and Council services also contribute information.
The report also updates the Community Committee on pieces of work and partnership working that has taken place in the area.
The report of the West North West Area Leader provided the Community Committee with an update from Public Health on the following issues:
· Health Weight Declaration
· Mentally Healthy Leeds
· One You Leeds
· National Diabetes Prevention Programme
Members discussed the Tyersal Forum and the Pudsey and Swinnow Forum saying it was important that these forum meetings should continue.
Feedback was provided to the Committee following last year’s Youth Summit event, in the form of an infographic which illustrated how young people wished Members to spend money on youth activities. The infographic was appended to the submitted report.
Appendix 2 of the submitted report provided an update from the Third Sector Goes Local on a thematic workshop that examined the rollout of Universal Credit in Leeds from October 2018.
Members were also provided with an update on the NIP for the Heights and Bawns. Members were advised that this initiative had now moved to Housing Leeds. It was noted that meetings were to continue on a quarterly basis with ward members and partners.
Members requested that an update report on the NIP for the Heights and Bawns be brought to the Community Committee to provide regular updates on progress.
Members were advised of the use by the Communities Team of social media to promote the work and events in the outer west area. It was noted that the use of social media was proven to be a popular method of communication.
Members discussed the following points:
· An invite to be sent to Inspector Towers to be present at the next meeting and an update on the policing for the area
· The presence of Police officers at the Community Committee
· That Community Committee meetings should be held at different venues within the Outer West area
RESOLVED – To
· Note the discussions of the Outer West Community Committee and any other key messages
· Share and promote the social networking platforms for the Outer West Community Committee
· Meet with Pudsey Ward Members to discuss Pudsey and Tyersal Forums
Date and time of next meeting
The next meeting to be held on Monday 17th September 2018 at 1pm.
The next meeting of the Outer West Community Committee to be on Monday 17th September 2018 at 1pm. Venue to be confirmed.