Agenda and minutes

Inner West Community Committee
Wednesday, 29th November, 2017 6.00 pm

Venue: Strawberry Lane Community Centre, Strawberry Lane, Leeds LS12 1SF

Contact: Debbie Oldham 0113 37 88656 

Items
No. Item

26.

Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).

 

 

(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Chief Democratic Services Officer at least 24 hours before the meeting.)

Minutes:

There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.

27.

Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public

1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information within the meaning of Section 100I of the Local Government Act 1972, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.

 

2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.

 

3 If the recommendation is accepted, to formally pass the following resolution:-

 

RESOLVED – That, in accordance with Regulation 4 of The Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Meetings and Access to Information) (England) Regulations 2012 or Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 as appropriate, the public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-‘

 

Minutes:

There was no exempt information.

28.

Late Items

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.

 

 

(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)

Minutes:

There were no late items.

29.

Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.

 

 

Minutes:

No declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests were made.

30.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence had been received from Cllr. Yeadon, Steve McBarron, and Hannah Bithell.

 

Members were advised that Sam Meadley the co-optee for Kirkstall had resigned from the Committee as he was relocating to Bristol to take up a new job.

31.

Open Forum / Community Forums

In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee.  This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair.  No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.

Minutes:

On this occasion no members wished to speak at the Open Forum.

32.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 82 KB

To approve the minutes of the Inner West Community Committee held on 11th October 2017.

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That minutes of the Inner West Community Committee held on 11th October 2017 were approved as a correct record.

33.

Co-optees Appointment Report 2017 pdf icon PDF 303 KB

The report of the City Solicitor invites Members to give consideration to appointing a co-optee to the Community Committee for the duration of the 2017/2018 municipal year.

 

(Report attached)

Minutes:

The report of the City Solicitor invited Members to give consideration to appointing a co-optee to the Community Committee for the duration of the 2017/18 municipal year.

 

Members were informed that Hannah Bithell was proposed as a co-optee to the Committee for the Kirkstall ward.

 

It was noted that Hannah had been unable to attend the meeting as she was a teacher and she was attending a parents evening.

 

RESOLVED – The Community Committee to approve the appointment of Hannah Bithell as a non-voting co-optee, for the duration of the 2017/18 municipal year, in order to support the work of the committee.

34.

Leeds Transport Conversation update - Public Transport Investment programme (£173.5m), Inner West update, and Leeds Transport Strategy development pdf icon PDF 828 KB

To receive the report of the Chief Officer Highways and Transport which provides the Community Committee with feedback from the Transport Conversation and specifically the feedback from this committee and community area, as well as a summary of the Leeds wide transport proposals and development of a Leeds Transport Strategy.

 

(Report attached)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Paul Foster, Highways and Transport and Tom Gifford West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) presented the report of the Chief Officer Highways and Transport. The report provided the Community Committee with an update on the Leeds Transport Conversation which had taken place in Autumn 2016.

 

The officers informed the Committee that 557 responses were received from the Inner West area which was 7% of the total respondents. The responses received showed that the preferred mode of transport was the car followed by train and then bus. The responses had also shown that people wished to see improvements to cycle facilities, a more reliable bus service and investment in the train service.

 

The Committee were informed of the following issues facing the Inner West area and of ongoing work in the area:-

·  Study to look at future technology which would be reported back with the next update;

·  Cycle Strategy to look at uptake on the current cycle routes and further investment to cycle routes;

·  A report to go to Executive Board in relation to a mandate from Central Government regarding the air quality issues for the city;

·  Plans revealed for the new Leeds rail station in readiness for HS2;

·  Ongoing work in respect of looking at solutions for better connectivity in communities;

·  Working with partners to address issues with bus corridors;

·  Investment in 284 new buses for the city

·  Remedial works to City Connect in relation to shared areas for cyclists and pedestrians. Although it was noted that funding for this work would come from Central Government not from the £173.5m;

·  Working on a scheme for Armley Gyratory which would assist cyclists, pedestrians and better movement of traffic.

 

Members were informed that details of all the schemes could be found on the Council’s website.

 

The Committee heard that consultation in relation to bus services and issues was to take place in the new year.

 

Members were informed that improvements were planned for the following facilities in the Inner West area:-

·  Bramley bus station;

·  Bramley train station;

·  Cardigan Fields; and

·  Kirkstall Forge.

 

The Committee discussed the following issues in the Inner West area:-

·  The need for better connectivity within the Inner West area;

·  The use of mini buses to provide better connectivity;

·  Misuse of cycle lanes, including parking in the cycle lanes and enforcement issues in relation to this;

·  Use of a 4 track system on the rail network;

·  Issues in relation to Kirkstall Road;

·  Bus services in the area particularly, reliability, frequency, connectivity, and evening services;

·  Reliability of real time information;

·  The use of a Yorkshire dialect for audio announcements; and

·  Efficiency of new buses

 

In response to discussions and questions raised the Committee were provided with the following information:-

·  Would explore the use of mini buses for connectivity in the area;

·  Another study was being undertaken to address issues on Kirkstall Road with a view for a better scheme;

·  Enforcement did take place in relation to parking in cycle lanes, contact details were provided to Members;

·  Leeds rail station was  ...  view the full minutes text for item 34.

35.

Leeds Health and Care Plan: Inspiring Change through Better Conversations with Citizens pdf icon PDF 4 MB

To receive the report of the Chief Officer Health Partnerships to provide the Inner West Community Committee with an overview of the progress made in shaping the Leeds Health and Care Plan following the previous conversation at each Community Committee in Spring 2017.

 

(Report attached)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the Chief Officer Health and Partnerships, was presented to the Committee by Sue Rumbold, Chief Officer Partnerships Children and Families, Paul Bollom, Head of the Leeds Health and Care Plan and Dr Martin, Local GP from Whitehall Surgery.

 

The report provided an overview of the progress made in shaping the Leeds Health and Care Plan following the previous conversation at each Community Committee in Spring 2017. The Committee was informed that the Leeds Health and Care Plan was the description of what it envisaged health and care would look like in the future and how it would contribute to the delivery of the vision and outcomes of the Leeds Health and Wellbeing Strategy 2016-2021.

 

Sue Rumbold explained what the Leeds Left Shift was and how it supported the Leeds Health and Care Plan. Members were informed that the Leeds Left Shift focused on 4 principle elements: Prevention; Self-Management and Proactive Care; Optimising Secondary Care and Urgent Care and Rapid Response.

 

Members’ attention was drawn to key actions to be undertaken under the 4 elements of the Plan and how the focus of these actions was to build on what was strong and not what was wrong.

 

Dr Martin addressed the Committee highlighting the need for better communication across the city of health care workers and partners including those within the third sector.

 

Dr Martin went on to say that the services need to be more proactive and less reactive with a good flow of information through all stages of care for individuals.

 

Cllr. Lowe said that she had attended a briefing in relation to the Leeds Health and Care Plan. Cllr. Lowe provided an example of self-management courses given at the New Wortley Community Centre which addressed long term conditions. She went on to say that in her view the new models of care was good and would be better for communities.

 

In relation to prevention Members raised concerns that a number of surgeries in the area did not have enough flu vaccine and although the vaccine was available at pharmacies this was not being offered by GP’s.

 

In response to the concern raised it was realised that there was an inconsistency in communication between all areas and partners. There was a need to change the way people think about health services through education of families and young people and help them to know the routes to social subscribing. There was also a need to build on the relationships between pharmacies and surgeries even when pharmacies are seen as private businesses.

 

The Chair highlighted the fact that the NHS belonged to the people. The Chair read out a fact set out in the submitted report which she had found interesting “When the NHS was set up in 1948, half of us died before the age of 65. Now, two thirds of the patients hospitals are looking after are over the age of 65 life expectancy is going up by five hours a day” she said it showed  ...  view the full minutes text for item 35.

36.

Finance Update Report pdf icon PDF 359 KB

To receive the report of the West North West Area Leader to update Members on the projects funded through the Inner West Wellbeing and Youth Activities Fund budgets.  The report also provides Members with details of the current financial and monitoring position of the Wellbeing, Youth Activity and Capital fund.

 

(Report attached)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the West North West Area Leader updated the Members on projects funded through the Inner West Wellbeing and Youth Activity Fund budgets.

 

The report also provided finance monitoring at appendix 1 of the submitted report.

 

The Chair asked that Members respond to an email to fix a date to discuss CIL and decided how the Committee wished to spend it.

 

It was noted that a half day workshop for Wellbeing Commissioning would be on Friday 16th February 2018.

 

The Communities Team responded to a query presented at the previous meeting in relation to wellbeing forms and the need for them to be written in plain English. It was noted that the Equality Team were to revise the form.

 

Members’ attention was drawn to point 4 of the submitted report which provided the remaining wellbeing balances for each Ward for 2017/18.

 

It was noted that there had been no new applications since the last meeting.

 

Members were informed that the small grants and skips budget still available was £2,668.

 

Members were advised that that Youth Activity Fund balances were as follows:-

·  Armley £97

·  Bramley and Stanningley £843

·  Kirkstall £1,502

 

Members were also advised of Capital fund balance which was £36,700.

 

Members were informed that monitoring information would be presented at each meeting on all projects. If Members required more details of a project this could be provided separately.

 

In relation to a question from Members in relation to Capital Fund it was noted that Capital Fund can be used for Smiley SID’s. However orders did take a while to process so Members were asked to submit possible locations for the Smiley SID’s as soon as possible.

 

Members discussed Ward Based Initiative and how it might be used. Kirkstall Ward Members advised the Committee that the Ward Based Initiative money for Kirkstall was to be spent on a children’s play area.

 

RESOLVED -  To:-

a) Note the balance of Wellbeing Fund at 4

b) Note the balance of small grants and skips at 9

c) Note the balance of the Youth Activities Fund 11

d) Note the balance of the Capital Fund at 12

e) Note the Community Infrastructure Levy allocation at 13

f) Note the spend of the Wellbeing, Youth Activities and Capital budgets

and monitoring report at Appendix 1

37.

Community Committee Update Report pdf icon PDF 322 KB

To receive the report of the West North West Area Leader to update the Community Committee on the work of the sub groups of the Committee: Children and Young People and Environment. The report also updates the Committee on community events, local projects and partnership working that has taken place in the area since the last meeting.

 

(Report attached)

Minutes:

The report of the West North West Area Leader updated the Community Committee on the work of the sub groups of the Committee: Children and Young People; Environment; Health and Wellbeing and Adult social Care; Employment Skills and Welfare and Community Safety.

 

The report also updated the Committee on community events, local projects and partnership working that had taken place in the area since the last meeting.

 

Cllr. Gruen updated the Committee on the Youth Summit event which had taken place on 10th November. She said that it had been a delightful day with 45 children attending the event.

 

4 students from Leeds West Academy had attended the event and feedback showed they had enjoyed the event.

 

Cllr. Gruen explained that the event had been held in the Civic Hall with children attending a question and answer session in the Council Chamber with the Lord Mayor and they had also assisted councillors in thinking about how best to spend Youth Activities funding.

 

Lunch had been provided at the Rosebowl which proved to be a success, the children had behaved well all throughout the session.

 

Cllr. Gruen said that she would like to do this event on an annual basis.

 

Cllr. Lowe provide a brief update on the Health and Wellbeing and Adult Social Care sub group highlighting points 8 and 9 of the submitted report specifically in relation to a new app called TALK SHARE LEARN LEEDS which had been launched by Children’s Services. The app can be downloaded for free from App Store or Google play.

 

Cllr Heselwood updated the Committee on a meeting that she had just attended for Community Led Local Development which is a project looking at how to access pathways into work.

 

Cllr. Ritchie gave a brief update of the Community Safety work and thanked Cllr. McKenna for attending Tasking Meetings.

 

The Committee discussed street drinkers in Armley. It was noted that it was much improved. Councillors were disappointed that a voluntary group called Altogether Armley were looking to fold.

 

It was noted that the Christmas lights switch on had been successful in both Bramley and Armley.

 

RESOLVED – To note the report including the key outcomes from the sub groups.

 

 

 

 

Chairs Comment

The Chair thanked all for attending and wished everyone a Merry Christmas.

38.

Date and time of next meeting

To note the next meeting of the Inner West Community Committee will be 21st March 2018 at 6:00pm.

Minutes:

To note that the next meeting of the Inner West Community Committee will be on Wednesday 21st March 2018.