Agenda and draft minutes

Outer North East Community Committee
Monday, 20th January, 2020 5.30 pm

Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds (Committee Room 6 & 7)

Contact: John Grieve 0113 37 88662 

Items
No. Item

Chair's Opening Remarks

The Chair introduced and welcomed Councillor Linda Richards to her first meeting of the Outer North East Community Committee

37.

APPEALS AGAINST REFUSAL OF INSPECTION OF DOCUMENTS

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).

 

(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting.)

 

Minutes:

There were no appeals against the refusal of the inspection of Documents.

 

38.

EXEMPT INFORMATION - POSSIBLE EXCLUSION OF THE PRESS AND PUBLIC

1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as   containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the   public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public   interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the   report.

 

2  To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in   respect of the above information.

 

3  If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-

 

RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:

 

 No exempt items or information have been identified on the agenda

 

Minutes:

There were no items identified where it was considered necessary to exclude the press or public from the meeting due to the confidential nature of the business to be considered.

 

39.

LATE ITEMS

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.

 

(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)

 

Minutes:

There were no late items of business identified.

 

40.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

To receive any apologies for absence.

 

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence.

41.

DECLARATION OF DISCLOSABLE PECUNIARY AND OTHER INTERESTS

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2000 and paragraphs 13-18 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.  Also to declare any other significant interests which the Member wishes to declare in the public interest, in accordance with paragraphs 19-20 of the Members’ Code of Conduct

Minutes:

There were no declarations of any disclosable pecuniary interests.

 

42.

OPEN FORUM

In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Area Committee.  This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.

 

Minutes:

In accordance with Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, the Chair allowed a period of up to 10 minutes for Members of the Public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee.

 

On this occasion, there were no matters raised under this item by Members of the Public.

 

43.

MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 273 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 23rd September 2019.

 

 

 

(Copy attached)

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That the minutes of the previous meeting held on 23rd September 2019 were confirmed as a true and correct record.

 

44.

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES

To consider any matters arising from the minutes (If any)

 

Minutes:

Community Committee Appointments 2019/2020 – Further to Minute No. 27 of the previous meeting, Members considered vacant appointments within the Community Committee

 

RESOLVED

 

(i)  That Councillor L Richards (Wetherby) be appointed to the Outer North East Housing Advisory Panel (HAP) for the remainder of the 2019/20 Municipal year.

 

(ii)  That Councillor L Richards be appointed to the Outer North East Community Committee Environmental Sub Group

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

45.

Waste Management Services - Update on the Refuse Service Review and National Waste Strategy implications for Leeds pdf icon PDF 1 MB

  To consider a report by the Deputy Chief Officer, Communities & Environment which provides an update on progress with the review of the Refuse Service in Leeds; the report also provides a brief update on the development of a new National Resources and Waste Strategy and how that relates to Leeds.

 

 

(Report attached)

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report by the Deputy Chief Officer, Waste Management which provided an update on the Refuse Service Review currently being undertaken. The report also provided details of the development of a new National Resources and Waste Strategy and how that relates to Leeds

 

Members were informed of the actions/ progress made so far which included:

 

·  Introduction of a new crew charge hand role to the service

·  Effective use of in-cab technology

·  End of Day Reports

·  Fleet Renewal

·  Experimental Traffic Regulation Order (Yellow Lines)

·  Proof of concept work for new route co-terminosity with Community Committees

·  New Garden Waste (Brown Bin) Collection Routes

·  Scoping Work for “Specialist” Teams/ Areas

·  New Black/ Green Bin Routes City Wide

 

  In terms of the development of a new National Resources and Waste   Strategy the following proposals were drawn to the attention of   Members:

 

·  Funding for additional recycling

·  Glass deposit scheme

·  Proposals for a food collection service

 

Referring to the refuse route for Aberford, Barwick and Scholes Members queried if there were any proposals for the route to be redesigned.

 

Members were informed that modelling had been completed to test the potential impact of redesigning routes across the city to fit, as much as possible with Community Committee boundaries. Many of the existing routes had not changed for up to 9 years and a review was necessary to “create greater presentation”. It was also reported that extra resources would be allocated to the brown bin collection service in the summer months to deal with the heavier presentations.

 

Members asked if a representative from the Waste Management Team could be invited to future Ward Member Briefing to discuss a possible review of the refuse collection routes for their particular area.

 

Referring to bottle bank locations, Harewood Members requested if it would be possible to move a bottle bank back to Collingham, near the Half Moon Public House, where a previous one had been located.

 

In responding the Deputy Chief Officer, Waste Management said that subject to a lorry being able to access the site and the need to be mindful of noise to local residents, such discussions about bottle bank locations would be welcomed

 

Referring to the emerging National Waste Strategy, it was noted that Leeds were still pressing ahead with their own Waste Strategy for Leeds without awaiting national guidance.

 

Members were informed that the Waste Strategy for Leeds was approved in July 2019, the intension was to continue with the new strategy and await Government guidance. 

 

The Chair thanked the Deputy Chief Officer, Waste Management for his attendance and contribution

 

RESOLVED –

 

(i)  That the contents of the report by noted

 

(ii)  To support the reduction, re-use and recycling of waste locally

 

(iii)  That a representative from the Waste Management Team be invited to future Ward Member Briefings to discuss a possible review of refuse collection routes for their particular area.

 

46.

Outer North East Community Committee - Update Report pdf icon PDF 703 KB

To consider a report by the Head of Stronger Communities which provides an update on the work of the Communities Team and the work it is engaged in, based on priorities identified by the Community Committee. It also provides opportunities for further questioning, or to request a more detailed report on a particular issue.

 

The report also provides regular updates on some of the key activities between Community Committee meetings and functions delegated to Community Committees, Community Champions roles, Community engagement, partnership and locality working.

 

 

(Report attached)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Head of Stronger Communities submitted a report which provided an update of the work which the Communities Team are engaged in, based on priorities identified by the Community Committee. The report also provides opportunities for further questioning, or to request a more detailed report on a particular issue.

The report includes regular updates on some of the key activities between Community Committee meetings and functions delegated to Community Committees, Community Champions roles, community engagement, partnership and locality working.

 

Included within the report were details of: the meetings of the Committee’s Environmental Sub Group held on 21st October 2019 and 14th January 2020, an update on the Leeds Anti-social Behaviour Team Review, Benefits Claimant Data, Outer North East Housing Advisory Panel (HAP) and the Community Committee’s presence on social media.

 

Commenting on the Anti - Social Behaviour Review, Alwoodley Ward Members spoke of the ongoing vandalism to the local library. The youths involved in the vandalism were known to the authorities and the premises were also equipped with CCTV, the support in taking actions against the youths involved was seriously lacking.

 

Members were informed that the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) could often be a complication when evidence was captured via CCTV footage.

 

Reference was also made to the King Lane Park and Ride facility, noting that the Crime Reduction Officer had recommended changes to street lighting and the installation of night time barriers. It was understood that the late night closing and early morning re-opening of the barriers was a challenging issue.

 

Ward Members were of the view that this was a woeful situation and required addressing as soon as possible.

 

Members also raised concerns about an area of land near the former Middlethorne Middle School Site, suggesting the area was now been used for anti-social behaviour.

 

Members asked if a nearby street light could be switched off thereby making the area darker and less attractive for youths to congregate.

 

Members were of the view that there were a number of Anti-Social issues to be addressed and requested if the Leeds Anti-Social Behaviour Team Manager could be invited to the next meeting

 

Reference was made to the Outer North East Housing Advisory Panel (HAP). Members were concerned that the HAP had not met for some considerable time and there was now an urgent need to have a meeting to consider the funding of environment and community projects and services that would benefit the housing tenants of Alwoodley, Harewood and Wetherby.

 

Members were of the view that failure to allocate funding to projects/ service may result in loss of budget.

 

Members were informed that recent staff changes within Housing Services may have led to some delays in HAP support

 

It was suggested that the Chair on behalf of the Community Committee, write to the Executive Member responsible seeking assurance that adequate resources would be allocated to provide HAP support or alternatively that the HAP budget be made available directly to the Community Committee

 

Referring to Community Events, the  ...  view the full minutes text for item 46.

47.

Outer North East Community Committee - Finance Report pdf icon PDF 511 KB

To consider a report by the Head of Stronger Communities which provides an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund, Youth Activity Fund, as well as the Community Infrastructure Levy Budget for 2019/20.

 

 

(Report attached)

 

Minutes:

The Head of Stronger Communities submitted a report which provided an update on the current position of the Outer North East Community Committee’s budgets and set out details of applications seeking Wellbeing Revenue Funding and Youth Activity Funding. Included within the report were:

 

·  Details of the Wellbeing Budget position

·  Wellbeing proposals for consideration and approval

·  Details of projects approved via Delegated Decision

·  Monitoring information of its funded projects

·  Details of Youth Activities Fund (FAF) position

·  Youth Activities Fund proposals for consideration and approval

·  Details of Skips approved

·  Details of the Community Infrastructure Levy Budget

The Localities Officer, presented the report and responded to Members comments and queries.

 

Detailed discussion ensued on the contents of the report together with the appendices which included:

 

·  Available funding for the current financial year.

·  Clarification around some of the projects seeking financial assistance.

The Localities Officer also sought Members views for the potential for either a children’s and families or a finance sub group to be in place to discuss youth activity funding applications that would be received during a commissioning round.

 

RESOLVED –

 

(i)  To note the Wellbeing Budget Position 2019/20 (Table No.1 referred)

 

(ii)  That the following Wellbeing Projects be determined as follows:

Project

Organisation

Amount Granted (£)

Boston Spa High Street – Temporary CCTV Solutions

 

Safer Leeds (LCC)

£1,488

(Wetherby)

Sandringham Park – Temporary CCTV Solutions

 

Safer Leeds (LCC)

£1,488

(Wetherby)

Environmental Improvements to the Neighbourhood

 

Cleaner Neighbourhoods Team (LCC)

£251

(Wetherby)

Community Events

Moortown West Community Association

£1,200

(Alwoodley)

 

International Day of Older People 2019

John Rylie Community Centre Social Club

£200

(Harewood)

 

Various Groups

Moortown West Community Association

£3,600

(Alwoodley)

 

 

(iii)  To note that since the last meeting on 23rd September 2019, the following project had been considered and approved by DDN:

 

 “St Edwards Catholic Primary School Car Park Extension”

 

(iv)  To note that since the last meeting on 23rd September 2019, the following project had been considered and declined

 

(v)  To note the Monitoring information of funded projects

 

(vi)  That the following Youth Activity Projects be determined as follows

:Project

Organisation

Amount Granted (£)

Additional Youth Work – Wetherby

Youth Service (LCC)

£1920.04

(Wetherby)

 

 

(vii)  To note the activity within the Community Skips Budget 2019/20 (Table No.3 referred)

 

(viii)  To note details of the Community Infrastructure Levy, as referred to in paragraph 41 of the submitted report

 

(ix)  That the suggestion to create a Children’s and Families or a Finance Sub Group to consider youth activity funding applications that would be received during a commissioning round, be declined

48.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

To note that the next meeting will take place on Monday, 16th March 2020 at 5.30pm at Wetherby Town Hall.

Minutes:

RESOLVED – To note that the next meeting will take place on Monday, 16th March 2020 at 5.30pm at Wetherby Town Hall.