Agenda and draft minutes

Inner North West Community Committee
Thursday, 7th December, 2017 7.00 pm

Contact: Andy Booth 0113 247 4325 

Items
No. Item

23.

Open Forum

In accordance with paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee.  This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair.  No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.

 

Minutes:

In accordance with the Community Committee Procedure Rules, the Chair allowed a period of up to 10 minutes for members of the public to make representations or ask questions within the terms of reference of the Community Committee.  The following was discussed:

 

·  Harriet Childs of the Domestic Violence Team addressed the meeting.  She informed the Committee of the recent White Ribbon Day event and activities that had been held across the City to raise awareness and with a focus on prevention.  Councillor Garthwaite also gave an update on events at the universities which had covered sexual violence and child sexual exploitation.

·  PC Buxton from Woodhouse Police Station gave the Committee an update on crime statistics for the Inner North West Area.  This included robberies, burglaries and thefts.  He reiterated the need for people to ensure that doors and windows should remain locked.

 

 

24.

Leeds Transport Plan pdf icon PDF 638 KB

Presentation and Workshop Discussion

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Further to the report presented to the Inner North West Community Committee on 8 September 2016 and subsequent workshop, the Chief Officer, Highways and Transportation submitted an update report providing feedback from the Transport Conversation and specifically the feedback from the Inner North West Community Committee and area, as wells as a summary of the Leeds wide transport proposals and development of a Leeds Transport Strategy.

 

Andrew Hall, Head of Transportation and Liz Hunter, West Yorkshire Combined Authority were in attendance to update the Committee.

 

It was reported that the following had been highlighted during the previous engagement process for the Inner North West Area.

 

·  Improved facilities and provision for cyclists.

·  Improved pedestrian links.

·  Some support for a tram system

·  Reducing congestion

·  Improvements to reliability and quality of bus services.

 

Further issues highlighted included the following:

 

·  One of the main elements of the strategy would be investment in the public transport network.  It was aimed to double bus usage by 2027.  This was supported by bus operators across the city and there would be significant investment in the quality of bus vehicles across Leeds.

·  There would be three new railway stations at Thorpe Park, Leeds Bradford Airport and Millshaw.

·  There would be further park and ride sites – a site for North Leeds was being sought.

·  Access to rail – improvements to accessibility to local stations

·  Development of local transport hubs

·  Work on the A660 Corridor – there were proposed improvements to the Lawnswood Roundabout.

 

In response to comments and questions, the following was discussed:

 

·  The need for dedicated bicycle lanes, particularly in Headingley Town Centre.

·  Bicycle hire schemes.

·  Problems with delays on public transport along the A660 corridor.

·  The need for in depth traffic analysis to be carried out on the A660 corridor.

·  There would be a series of engagements in the New Year to look at options for the A660 corridor.

·  There had been a successfully bid for cycling facilities which would see extensions to the existing cycle network.

·  It was proposed that the Community Committee hold a further workshop on Transport.

 

RESOLVED –

 

(1)  That feedback on the delivery of the plan and £173.5 million proposals be noted.

(2)  That the development of the onger term Leeds Transport Strategy be noted.

(3)  That the report and discussion be noted.

(4)  That a further workshop on the Transport Plan be arranged.

 

 

25.

Leeds Health Care Plan pdf icon PDF 3 MB

Presentation and Workshop Discussion

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The joint report of the Head of the Leeds Health & Care Plan and the Head of Programme Delivery-System Integration, NHS Leeds CCGs Partnership, provided an overview of the progress made in shaping the Leeds Health and Care Plan following the previous conversation with the Community Committee.

 

Tony Cooke, Dr Phil Dwyer and Jim Barwick were in attendance to make a presentation and answer Members’ questions.

 

The following issues were highlighted:

 

·  The Leeds Health and Wellbeing Strategy underpinned all issues relating to health including issues such as transport.

·  The need to have better conversations with people and the approach to achieving this.

·  Local changes to Health Care and Social Care provision.

·  Getting people to use services correctly – avoiding unnecessary A&E appointments, using pharmacies for advice.

·  Getting services to work together in a more efficient way.

·  The Leeds Health Care Plan – focusing on prevention, early start, promoting physical activity, reduce drinking and smoking, self-management and pro-active care.

·  How to take health provision forward in communities through the development of Local Care Partnerships.

 

In response to Members comments and questions, the following was discussed:

 

·  Reducing hospital admissions and attendance at accident and emergency. – It was shown that work carried out through Neighbourhood Networks helped with the reduction in hospital admissions.

·  Reference was made to the integrated model that had bene developed in Armley and the benefits this had started to achieve.

·  Bringing services together to cover all areas of health care and social care including mental health services.

·  Provision of weekend appointments.

·  Commissioning of first aid training – reduction in A and E admissions.

·  Air quality and impact on health.

·  Concern regarding loss of open spaces for development and the impact on health and the need for a Public Health voice at the planning stage.

 

RESOLVED

 

a)  To note the contents of the report and that the report will be used as the basis for discussions during the informal workshop scheduled to follow the Committee meeting

b)  To support the updated Leeds Plan as a basis for conversation with citizens on the future of health and care.

c)  To actively support widespread conversation and discussion of the Leeds Plan and narrative to encourage feedback and comment.

d)  To support the emerging model of Local Care Partnerships and actively engage with their development in their communities.

 

 

26.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were submitted on behalf of Councillors J Chapman, C Towler, G Harper and N Walshaw

 

 

27.

Minutes - 21 September 2017 pdf icon PDF 71 KB

To confirm as a correct record, the minutes of the meeting held on 21 September 2017

Minutes:

RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting held on 21 September 2017 be confrmed as a correct record.

 

 

28.

Wellbeing Fund update for 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 329 KB

To receive and consider the attached report of the North East Area Leader

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the West North West Area Leader provided the Community Committee with an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund and Youth Activity Fund for 2017/18 and the current position of the small grants and skips pot.

 

Nicole Darbyshire, Area Officer presented the report.

 

The following was highlighted:

 

·  Remaining Wellbeing funds including capital funding available.

·  Youth Activities Funding available and projects agreed to date.

·  Projects agreed by Delegated Decision Notice since the last meeting.

·  An application for funding from RJC dance. – Members discussed the application in detail and concern was expressed that the project did not target participants from the Inner North West Area.

·  Appendices to the report detailing spending and monitoring of projects.

·  Proposals to transfer money to the main wellbeing fund from the skips and advertising budget.

·  The process for allocating funds from the Community Infrastructure Levy.

 

RESOLVED –

 

(1)  That the current budget position for the Wellbeing Fund for 2017/18 be noted.

(2)  That the application for funding from RJC Dance be refused.

(3)  That the current position of the small grants and skips pot be noted and £2,450 to be moved from this pot to the Wellbeing large grant pot.  Also £692 to be moved from the communications budget to the large grant pot.

(4)  That the current position of the Youth Activity Fund and those projects sorted to date through this be noted.

(5)  That the current position of the Wellbeing Capital fund be noted.

(6)  That the Wellbeing project monitoring document be noted.

(7)  That the recommended process for the allocation of Community Infrastructure Levy funds be agreed.

 

 

29.

Area Update Report pdf icon PDF 310 KB

To receive and consider the attached report of the West North West Area Leader

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The report of the West North West Area Leader provided Members with a summary of recent sub group and forum business as well as a general update on other project activity.

 

Nicole Darbyshire, Area Officer presented the report.

 

Issues highlighted included the following:

 

·  The last meeting of the Planning Sub Group had been held on 8 November 2017.

·  Environmental Sub-Group – Councillor Garthwaite updated the Committee and made reference to work with Leeds Becketts University and the drive to encourage students to recycle and the recent environmental art installation.

·  Children and Young People’s Sub Group – There had not been a recent meeting and Members were informed of proposals for the next youth activities consultation.

·  Discounted Community Centre Lettings.

·  The Community Committee Newsletter.

 

RESOLVED –

 

(1)  That the discussions of the Inner North West Community Committee sub groups and key messages be noted.

(2)  That the update on Community Centre discounted lettings be noted.

(3)  That the area update newsletter be noted.

 

 

30.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

22nd March 2018 at 7.00 p.m.

Minutes:

Thursday, 22 March 2018 at 7.00 p.m.