Venue: Little London Community Centre, Oatlands Lane Leeds, LS7 1SP
Contact: Andy Booth 0113 37 88665
Chairs Opening Comments
The Chair welcomed all to the first Inner North West Community Committee meeting of the municipal year. He welcomed the newly elected Councillors James Gibson, Christine Knight and Kayleigh Brookes.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rules 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded).
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting).
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of Press and Public
1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
3 If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-
There were no exempt items.
To identify items which have been admitted ti the agenda by the Chair for consideration.
(the special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. However there was supplementary information tabled at the meeting in relation to Agenda Item 10 – Wellbeing Fund update for 2018/19 and end of year monitoring report for 2017/18. Minute 5 refers.
Declaration of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.
Apologies for Absence
To receive any apologies for absence
No apologies were received.
To confirm as a correct record, the minutes of the meeting held on 22 March 2018
RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting held on 22nd March 2018 be approved as a correct record.
In accordance with paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.
In accordance with the Community Committee Procedure Rules, the Chair allowed a period of up to 10 minutes for members of the public to make representations or ask questions within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. The following were discussed:
· Barbecue damage and litter left on Woodhouse Moor after the unathorised 4:20 Club event held on the bank holiday. It was noted that the grass was scorched and would take a number of weeks to grow. The Community Committee had been made aware of the issues and a number of Councillors had assisted with the clean-up. The Committee thanked the Police, Park Watch, Friends of Woodhouse Moor and the Localities Team for all their efforts during and after the event.
· Burley Lodge Centre along with the Fire Service and West Yorkshire Police, LASBT, were to hold a day of action to engage with local people to address issues of anti-social behaviour. This was to take place on Monday 25th June 2018. The Committee requested a discussion for a future Community Committee meeting on anti-social behaviour and local youths.
· Members were requested to promote a volunteer badminton for youth’s group. It was suggested that the group should apply for Wellbeing fund.
Cllr. Knight entered the meeting at 7:20pm during this item.
To receive and consider the attached report of the City Solicitor.
The report of the City Solicitor invited Members to note the appointment of Cllr Akhtar as Chair of the Community Committee for 2018/19 as agreed at the recent annual meeting of Council.
Members were also requested to appoint to the following, as appropriate:-
· Outside Bodies as detailed at section 19 / Appendix 1 of the submitted report;
· One representative to the Corporate Parenting Board;
· Community Committee Champions; and
· Children’s Services Cluster Partnerships.
RESOLVED – That the following Members be appointed to:-
· Better Communities Leeds Board of Directors – Cllr. K Brookes
· Cardigan Centre – Cllr. N Walshaw
· Swarthmore Centre – Cllr. G Harper
· Ireland Wood Children’s Centre Management Committee – Cllr. J Gibson
· Environment and Community Safety Champion – Cllr. A Garthwaite
· Children’s Services Champion – Cllr. J Pryor
· Employment, Skills and Welfare Champion – Cllr. C Knight
· Health, Wellbeing and Adult Social Care Champion – Cllr. N Walshaw
· Corporate Parenting Board Cllr. J Pryor
· Cluster Partnership Extended Services North West - Cllr. J Bentley
To note the appointment of Cllr. Ahktar as Chair on the Community Committee for 2018/19.
To receive and consider the attached report of the Chief Officer, Housing Management
The report of the Chief Officer Housing Management invited nominations from the Inner North West Community Committee to the Inner North West Housing Advisory Panel (HAP).
An Officer from Housing Leeds was in attendance at the meeting and provided an update on the review currently being undertaken on the placement of the Kirkstall Ward within the Inner North West HAP. It was noted that Kirkstall ward would remain within the Inner North West HAP for 2018/19, to allow for time to plan the alignment of the Inner West HAP and the Kirkstall Ward with a view that Kirkstall will become part of Inner West HAP in 2019/20.
A brief discussion took place with the Ward Members of Headingley and Hyde Park. It was agreed that Cllr. Garthwaite would take a lead for Headingley and Hyde Park on the HAP with either Cllrs. Pryor or Walshaw to attend when she was unable to attend.
RESOLVED – To appoint the following to the Inner North West HAP:-
· Cllr. J Akhtar
· Cllr. A Garthwaite
· Cllr. J Gibson
To receive and consider the attached report of the West North West Area Leader
The report of the West North West Area Leader provided an update on the budget position for the Wellbeing Fund and Youth Activity Fund for 2018/19 and the current position of the small grants and skips pot listed at Table 2 of the submitted report. The report also provided the end of year monitoring for 2017/18 at Appendix 2.
The report asked that the Community Committee review the minimum conditions for taking a delegated decisions outside of Community Committees these were set out at paragraph 20 of the submitted report.
Members had received a revised copy of Appendix 1 which was tabled at the meeting. Members were advised of a revised figure of £108,070 for Inner North West Revenue Allocation for 2018/19.
Members considered two projects listed at Table 1, Wellbeing Revenue:-
· Money Buddies - £2,475.50
· Carnival Mash Up - £6,590
Members requested a peer inspection of the Carnival Mash Up project.
Members also considered a project listed at Table 3, Wellbeing Capital of the submitted report:-
· Rainbow Revamp -£700
The Committee briefly discussed the ‘Leave Leeds Tidy’ project.
RESOLVED – To:-
· Note the current budget position for the Wellbeing Fund 2018/19 (Appendix 1)
· Approved the Wellbeing revenue projects at Table 1;
o Money Buddies £2,475.50 Approved
o Carnival Mash Up £6,590 Approved
· Note the content of the end of year monitoring returns for projects funded in 2017/18 (Appendix 2)
· Note the current position of small grants and skips pot and note recently approved small grant and skips (Table 2)
· Note the position of the Youth Activity Fund
· Note the current position of the Wellbeing Capital fund and consider any funding applications
· Approved the Wellbeing capital project (Table 3)
o Rainbow Revamp - £700 Approved
· Review and agree the minimum conditions for making delegated decisions (paragraph 20 of the submitted report)
To receive and consider the attached report of the West North West Area Leader
The report of the West North West Area Leader provided a summary of Community Committee business as well as a general update on other activity.
Members noted the following points:-
· Student Changeover Partnership Meeting which had been held on 9th May;
· Public Health Update with a request that Public Health attend a future meeting;
· A660 consultation which was attached as Appendix 1 of the submitted report.
Members were asked to consider themes for future Community Committee workshops. It was suggested that it would be good to have a future item which looked at what had happened to ideas presented from past Community Committee Workshops
The Committee were informed of the death of Janet Bailey who had passed away on 4th May 2018. Janet had worked within the community for a number of years.
The Committee were advised of upcoming events in the area:
· 5th July – Music event at All Hallows at 7pm
· 21st July – Hyde Park unity Day
RESOLVED – To note the discussions of the Inner North West Community Committee and any key messages.
Date and Time of Next Meeting
Thursday, 27th September 2018 at 7.00 p.m.
To note the next meeting of Inner North West Community Committee to be held on Thursday 27th September 2018 at 7pm.