Venue: Bradford MBC, City Hall, Bradford, BD1 1HU
Contact: Steven Courtney (0113) 24 74707 Email: email@example.com
To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration.
(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes.)
There were no formal late items, but the following supplementary information was provided following publication of the agenda:
· Item 7 – Chair’s Update – letter from West Yorkshire and Harrogate STP Programme Director (minute 23 refers).
· Item 8 – Access to NHS Dental Services – submissions from NHS 111 and Dental Care Direct (minute 24 refers).
Declaration of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests made at the meeting.
In the interests of openness and transparency, Dr J Beal advised he had previously been involved in developing and implementation ‘Out of Hours Dental Services’ in Leeds, Birmingham and Bristol. Dr J Beal remained present for the meeting.
Apologies for Absence and Notification of Substitutes
To receive any apologies for absence and notification of substitutes.
The following apologies and notification of substitutes were noted at the meeting:
· Councillor M Gibbons (Bradford Council) with Councillor J Sharp attending as a substitute member
· Councillor S Baines (Calderdale Council)
· Councillor J Hughes (Kirklees Council)
· Councillor B Flynn (Leeds City Council) with Dr John Beal attending as a substitute member.
To confirm as a correct record, the minutes of the meeting held on 23 January 2017.
(a) The draft minutes provided were agreed as an accurate record of the meeting held on 23 January 2017.
(b) That a formal update be requested and circulated to members of the Joint Committee in relation to the autism scoping exercise referred to in minute 13.
To receive and consider a report from the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support providing an opportunity for the Chair of the Joint Committee to give an update on any general matters not specifically included elsewhere on the agenda.
The Joint Committee received a report from Leeds City Council’s Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support, providing an opportunity for the Chair to provide an update on any actions or specific activity since the previous meeting, on any matters not presented elsewhere on the agenda.
The Chair provided an update following a recent meeting with senior officials overseeing the development of the West Yorkshire and Harrogate Sustainability and Transformation Plan. Reference was made to the subsequent letter from the Programme Director which commented on:
· Overall STP engagement
· The stroke workstream
· Standardisation of commissioning polices
· The cancer workstream
It was suggested that there may be some merit in holding a more detailed development session for the Joint Committee, to build a better and consistent understanding of the STP approach and to consider the level and timeliness of and scrutiny activity. Members accepted the suggestion and agreed to offer some additional places to other members of the constituent health overview and scrutiny committees.
RESOLVED – That officers work with the STP programme office to help design and deliver a development session, as outlined at the meeting.
To consider a report from the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support introducing a range of information associated with the Joint Committee’s inquiry into Access to NHS Dental Services across West Yorkshire.
The Joint Committee received a report from Leeds City Council’s Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support introducing a range of information and inputs from various stakeholders regarding the inquiry into Access to NHS Dental Services in West Yorkshire.
The following representatives presented information to the Joint Committee and contributed to the subsequent discussion:
· Rory Deighton – Manager Kirklees Healthwatch
· Emma Wilson – Head of Co-Commissioning (Yorkshire and Humber) – NHSE
· Mike Edmondson – Secondary Care dental lead for Yorkshire and Humber – NHSE
· Roger Furniss – Local Dental Committee
· Alan McGlaughlin – Local Dental Committee
· Andrew Cooke – Head of Service Development and Innovation NHS111 – Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust
· Linda Wolstenholme – Support Services Manager – Dental Care Direct
There was a wide ranging discussion of the issues affecting access to NHS dental services across West Yorkshire. Some of the specific areas of discussion included:
· Health inequalities, community resilience and equity of access, particularly in more deprived communities.
· The balance between preventative work and treatment.
· The new (2006) Dental Contract.
· The independent review of NHS dentistry in 2008 and subsequent 2009 report of Professor Jimmy Steele.
· Available information for (prospective) patients, NHS Choices and a single/ central point of contact.
· Availability and effective use of financial and workforce resources.
· Accessing dentists as NHS and private patients.
· Emergency and urgent dental care provision and walk-in services.
· The level of dental related calls to NHS 111.
· Increasing complexity of some dental patients.
· Dental recall intervals for patients.
The Joint Committee subsequently tasked support officers with drafting a report and series of recommendations to reflect the main areas identified for improvement at the meeting.
It was noted that the report should be based on the evidence presented and discussed at the meeting, with specific consideration given to ensuring recommendations are directed to the most appropriate relevant organisations.
At the conclusion of the discussion, the Chair thanked all those present at the meeting for their attendance and contribution to the discussion.
RESOLVED – That, based on the evidence presented and discussed at the meeting, officers draft a report and recommendations to reflect the main areas identified for improvement, to be adopted by the Joint Committee and agreed at a future meeting.
To consider a report from the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support introducing the development of the Joint Committee’s future work programme.
The Joint Committee received a report from Leeds City Council’s Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support on the development of the Joint Committee’s future work programme.
The Principal Scrutiny Adviser addressed the meeting and advised that, as previously agreed, the Joint Committee’s future work programme would be developed to reflect the nine work streams/ priority areas identified in the West Yorkshire and Harrogate STP; whilst also recognising the matters of Autism and STP Governance arrangements.
The report also identified work around the Urgent and Emergency Care Vanguard and the West Yorkshire Association of Acute Trusts (WYAAT) as considerations within the work programme.
Drawing reference to the development session agreed as part of the Chair’s Update (minute 23 refers), it was reported that the future work programme remains undetermined.
RESOLVED – That, taking account of the outcome of the development session referred to in minute 23, officers continue to work towards developing a proposed future work programme for presentation, discussion and agreement at a future meeting of the Joint Committee.
Date and Time of Next Meeting
To be determined.
RESOLVED – That the date and time of the next meeting be agreed in consultation with the Chair of the Joint Committee.
The meeting closed at 12:55pm.