Agenda and minutes

Member Management Committee
Tuesday, 28th June, 2016 2.30 pm

Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds, LS1 1UR. View directions

Contact: Phil Garnett (0113) 39 51632  Email: phil.garnett@leeds.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15,2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules. (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)

 

(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting.)

Minutes:

There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.

2.

Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public

1  To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.

 

2  To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.

 

3  If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-

 

  RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-

Minutes:

There were no resolutions to exclude the public.

3.

Late Items

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration

 

(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes)

Minutes:

There were no late items submitted to the agenda for consideration. However an updated version of Appendix 2 of Agenda Item 7 “Local Authority Appointments to Outside Bodies” was circulated to Members prior to the meeting. Minute No. 7 refers.

 

4.

Declaration of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct. 

Minutes:

No declarations were made.

5.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Leadley and Campbell. Councillor Townsley was in attendance as substitute for Councillor Leadley.

6.

Minutes - 23rd February 2016 pdf icon PDF 52 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 23rd February 2016.

Minutes:

RESOLVED – The minutes of the meeting held on 23rd February 2016 were approved as a correct record.

7.

Local Authority Appointments to Outside Bodies pdf icon PDF 123 KB

To receive a report of the City Solicitor which outlines the Member Management Committee’s role in relation to Elected Member appointments to Outside Bodies and asks the Committee to:

 

·  Agree a schedule detailing those organisations that the Council will continue to make an appointment to; and

·  Agree the nominations to those organisations which fall to this Committee to make an appointment to.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Principal Governance Officer submitted a report of the City Solicitor which outlined the Committee’s role in relation to Elected Member appointments to Outside Bodies. The report asked the Committee to:

 

  • Agree a schedule detailing those organisation that the Council will continue to make an appointment to;
  • Agree the nominations to those organisations which fell to this Committee to make an appointment to; and
  • Agree the organisations which the Committee will continue to delegate to the relevant Community Committees.

 

Members were informed that group whips could fill any vacant positions or alter existing appointments relating to their groups via a Delegated Decision by the City Solicitor.

 

Members also discussed:

 

  • Nominating one of the Council’s appointed representatives to Groundwork Leeds as the member who would cast any vote on behalf of the Council. It was proposed that this should be Councillor Coulson.
  • Liberal Democrat representation on the Friends of Leeds City Museum group.
  • Conservative Group representation on the Civic Fostering Panel.
  • Organisations that no longer required representation from the Council.
  • Officers contacting the Canal and River Trust to see if the Council could nominate or appoint a Member to their Management Board. 

 

RESOLVED – To:

 

(a)  That the Appointment to Outside Bodies Procedure Rules as detailed  within Appendix 1 of the submitted report be noted;

(b)  That the schedule detailed at Appendix 3 of the submitted report be agreed and confirmed the delegation of these appointments to the relevant Community Committees;

(c)  That the schedule detailed at Appendix 2 of the submitted report be approved;

(d)  That Councillor Coulson be nominated as the member who would cast any vote on behalf of the Council at Groundwork Leeds;

(e)  That officers contact the Canal and River Trust to see if the Council could nominate or appoint a Member to their Management Board. 

(f)  That Councillor Townsley replace Councillor J Bentley on the Friends of Leeds City Museums as the Liberal Democrat Group nominee;

(g)  That the vacancy on the Fostering Panel – Vacancy be allocated to the Conservative Group and that place be listed as a whips nominee.

 

8.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

Minutes:

2.30pm, Tuesday ,13th September 2016.