Agenda and minutes

Member Management Committee
Friday, 29th June, 2018 10.00 am

Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds, LS1 1UR

Contact: Kevin Tomkinson  Email: kevin.tomkinson@leeds.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15,2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules. (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)

 

(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting.)

Minutes:

There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.

2.

Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public

1  To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.

 

2  To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.

 

3  If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-

 

  RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-

Minutes:

There were no resolutions to exclude the public.

3.

Late Items

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration

 

(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes)

Minutes:

There were no late items submitted to the agenda for consideration. However an updated version of Appendix 2 of Agenda Item 7 “Local Authority Appointments to Outside Bodies” was circulated to Members prior to the meeting. Minute No. 11 refers.

4.

Declaration of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct. 

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

5.

Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Councillor Maqsood.

6.

Minutes - 27 March 2018 pdf icon PDF 66 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 27th March 2018.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 27th March 2018 were approved as a correct record.

7.

Matters Arising

Minutes:

Further to minute 17 (DBS Checks for Members), Members asked for an update in respect of this item which was provided by officers, it was agreed that a list of those Members yet to have completed their DBS check should be provided to group whips as quickly as possible.    

8.

Terms of Reference pdf icon PDF 63 KB

To receive a report from the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support presenting the terms of reference for Member Management Committee and Member Development Working Group and seeking representation on the Working Group.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The City Solicitor submitted a report which presented the Board’s terms of reference for information and the terms of reference for the Member Development Working Group for agreement, the report also sought Member representation for the Working Group.

 

RESOLVED –

 

(a)  That the Board’s terms of reference be noted and that the terms of reference for the Member Development Working Group be approved.

(b)  To note that Councillor Harland would chair the Member Development Working Group.

(c)  That any nominations for Members should be forwarded to the Member Development Officer and those groups not represented on this Committee should be contacted to see if they would like to nominate a representative to the group.   

 

9.

Member Induction Programme

To receive an update from the Head of Civic and Member Support regarding the most recent Member Induction Programme.

Minutes:

Members received an update on the Member Induction programme for newly Elected Members following the all-out Elections in May.

 

This included an update on training in respect of Planning (complete), Licensing (scheduled for completion by 3 July 2018) and GDPR training for new Members.

 

RESOLVED – To note the current position following the Member induction programme for newly elected members, the current position in respect of regulatory committee training and the need for some additional Plans Panel training.  

10.

Cyber/GDPR Training for Elected Members pdf icon PDF 421 KB

To seek support from Committee members to endorse the GDPR suite of documents produced by the Council to aid Members with compliance with the new data protection framework when acting as data controllers, and to provide the relevant context.

 

Minutes:

The Director of Resources and Housing submitted a report seeking support from Committee members to endorse the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) suite of documents produced by the Council to aid Members with compliance with the new data protection framework when acting as data controllers and providing the relevant context.

 

Zoe Cooke, Information Access and Compliance Manager and Julie Davison, Senior Information Governance Officer attended the meeting and presented the report to Members, the report specifically set out;

 

·  a summary of the main issues associated with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

·  Background information in respect of the regulations

·  Main issues associated with GDPR for Members as data controllers including the need for i) a data protection policy, ii) privacy notice, iii) a record for processing activities and iv) an appropriate policy document.

 

Having presented the report Officers then responded to Members queries and comments on the following issues;

 

·  Whether the regulations applied to paper records

·  The retention period for information , particularly case work as this can span more than 1 term of office and on occasion beyond that

·  The category of data and how the arrangements would apply in respect of case work

·  The need for ‘worked-up’ examples in addition to FAQs 

·  Issues in respect of information received as a result of multi-agency working

·  The general concerns members had in respect of the implications for Members

·  The need for a cross party group of members and officers to be established as quickly as possible to look at any GDPR issues in respect of Members and resolve them as a matter of urgency

·  The consideration of providing a form of words to members that could be used on emails

·  The timeliness of this matter being implemented so far as members are concerned. 

 

RESOLVED –

 

a)  That a cross party group of members and officers be established to look at any GDPR issues in respect of Members and their role on the Council and as data controllers.

 

b)  That the suite of documents appended to the report (i) a data protection  policy, ii) privacy notice, iii) a record for processing activities and iv) an appropriate policy document be endorsed.

11.

Local Authority Appointments to Outside Bodies pdf icon PDF 131 KB

To receive a report of the City Solicitor which outlines the Member Management Committee’s role in relation to Elected Member appointments to Outside Bodies and asks the Committee to:

 

·  Agree a schedule detailing those organisations that the Council will continue to make an appointment to; and

 

·  Agree the nominations to those organisations which fall to this Committee to make an appointment to.

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The City Solicitor submitted a report which outlined the Committee’s role in relation to Elected Member appointments to Outside Bodies. The report asked the Committee to:

 

  • Agree a schedule detailing those organisations that the Council will continue to make an appointment to;

 

  • Agree the nominations to those organisations which fell to this Committee to make an appointment to; and

 

  • Agree the organisations which the Committee will continue to delegate to the relevant Community Committees.

 

 

Members also received an update/discussed:

 

  • Nominating one of the Council’s appointed representatives to Groundwork Leeds as the member who would cast any vote on behalf of the Council.
  • Those organisations that no longer required Council representation
  • Appointments made since the last meeting of the Committee
  • The current position in respect of the Leeds Grand Theatre Board
  • Representation on the Leeds Jewish Welfare Board
  • The request from the Conservative group to be allocated 2 places allocated to the Liberal Democrat Group (on the University Court and Leeds (West Yorkshire) Playhouse.
  • Proportionality requirements in respect of Appointments to Outside Bodies 

 

RESOLVED

 

(a)  That the Appointment to Outside Bodies Procedure Rules as detailed  within Appendix 1 of the submitted report be noted;

 

(b)  That the schedule detailed at Appendix 3 of the submitted report be agreed and confirmed the delegation of these appointments to the relevant Community Committees.

 

(c)  That the schedule detailed at Appendix 2 of the submitted report be approved as the list of organisations that this Committee will appoint to.

 

(d)  That the changes to appointments made since the last meeting of the Committee as detailed within the submitted report be noted;

 

(e)  That Councillor Pauline Grahame be nominated to cast the Council’s vote at meetings of Groundwork.

 

(f)  To agree that the 3 places available for Council representation on the Leeds Grand Theatre Board be allocated as 2 Labour (Cllr J Dowson and Cllr G Harper) and 1 Conservative representative (Cllr P Harrand).

 

(g)  That officers see whether an additional place is available on the Leeds Jewish Welfare Board and should there be then this be allocated as a Conservative Group Place.

 

(h)To note those organisations that no longer require a representative from Leeds City Council.

 

(i)  Following the request from the Conservative group to be allocated 2 places allocated to the Liberal Democrat Group (on the University Court) and Leeds (West Yorkshire) Playhouse, these 2 specific appointments be deferred to allow further discussions outside of the meeting, with the outcome of those discussions coming back to this Committee to allow a decision to be taken .

(j)  That in advance of the Elections and new Municipal Year a report be brought to this Committee setting out the proportionality requirements in respect of the appointments to outside bodies.