Venue: Civic Hall, 1st Floor West,LS1 1UR
Contact: Sandra Pentelow - 0113 3788655
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of discosable pecuniary interests
Apologies for Absence and Notification of Substitutes
To receive any apologies for absence and notification of substitutes.
Apologies of absence were received from Councillor P Carlill
To approve as a correct record the minutes of the minutes of the meeting held on 5 September 2018.
RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting held on 5 September 2018 be confirmed as a correct record.
To receive the reports of the Head of governance and Scrutiny Support and Director of City Development. The reports support the presentation of information for the second session of the Scrutiny Boards inquiry into the implementation of Leeds Inclusive Growth Strategy.
The report of the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support provided information to the Board to support the second session of the inquiry into the implementation of the Leeds Inclusive Growth Strategy which would cover the following:.
· The external perspective and evaluative views on the progress towards developing the approach to Inclusive Growth in Leeds covering the ‘More Jobs, Better Jobs’ Partnership Research Programme, the work with Core Cities, through to the current strategy in the context of local and national policy and any additional actions at a local level to remove the barriers that prevent residents from experiencing the benefit of economic growth.
· The Anchors Programme as a mechanisms for large organisations in Leeds to demonstrate their commitment to and take practical steps to contribute to the achievement of the Leeds Inclusive Growth objectives to support growth that benefits all
The following information was appended to the report:
· Inclusive Growth and the More Jobs, Better Jobs Partnership – Joseph Rowntree Foundation
· Report of the Chief Officer, Employment and Skills – Supporting Local Anchor Institutions to Contribute to Local Growth
· Toolkit -Harnessing the power of Anchor Institutions – a Progressive Framework
The following were in attendance for this item:
· Mike Hawking – Policy and Research Manager, Joseph Rowntree Foundation
· James Goodyear – Associate Director of Policy and Partnerships at LTHT
· Sue Wynne – Chief Officer, Employment and Skills
· Cllr Jonathan Pryor
Mike Hawking gave the Board a presentation on the More Jobs, Better Jobs Programme. Key Issues highlighted included the following:
- Poverty and reducing poverty. Putting poverty reduction at the centre of decision making.
- Definition and interpretation of Inclusive Growth.
- More Jobs, Better Jobs Programme – partnership working; co-commissioned projects with other organisations including Leeds City Council.
- The role of SME’s and co-operatives to generate local employment opportunities.
- Next steps and focus – Implementation of the Inclusive Growth Strategy; the 12 Big Ideas and reducing the tensions between them; Universal Credit roll out; Local Industry Strategy; Shared Prosperity Fund.
In response to comments and questions from the Board, the following was discussed:
· Connectivity to employment and training and whether there should be a priority in improving this before investing in other projects. It was acknowledged that there were problems with connectivity and it was important that this was addressed when planning. Reference was made to the need for sustainable development and how it contributed to inclusive growth.
· The importance of partners and other organisations contribution to the Inclusive Growth Strategy.
· HS2 – Employment opportunities and associated economic growth connected to this.
· How to encourage the creation of better jobs, including opportunities outside the centre of Leeds – development of social value policy and use of procurement to assist this alongside other business support.
· The influence of procurement and planning systems to influence the pay policies of contractors and providers. It was explained that the council could be influential in positive change but could not impose a system beyond that required by statute.
· Centre for Local ... view the full minutes text for item 31.
To consider the Scrutiny Board’s work schedule for the 2018/19 municipal year.
The report of the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support presented the Board with a copy of the work schedule for the remainder of the current Municipal Year. Also appended to the report was a copy of the Executive Board minutes of the meeting held on 19 September 2018.
Sandra Pentelow, Principal Scrutiny Adviser presented the report.
It was reported that the Best Council Plan was due for a refresh and would possibly be scheduled for the Board’s January meeting.
RESOLVED – That the work schedule (as presented at Appendix 1) as the basis for the Board’s work for the remainder of 2018/19 be agreed.
Date and Time of Next Meeting
Wednesday 12 December 2018 at 10:30 (pre-meeting for all Board Members at 10:00am).
Inquiry Session 3 Working Group at 29 of November 2018 at 10:00 (all Board Members invited)
Wednesday, 12th December 2018 at 10:30am (pre-meet for Members to commence at 10am)
Inquiry Session 3 Working Group meeting to be held on 29 November 2018 at 10.00 a.m. (all Board Members invited).