Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor Hutchison be elected as Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. However, there were two sets of supplementary information provided by West Yorkshire Police and the Licensing Authority. These had been published to the Leeds City Council webpage and circulated to all parties prior to the meeting.
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
No declaration of interests were made at the meeting.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory informs the Members of the Licensing Sub-Committee of an application for a licence summary review made by the West Yorkshire Police in respect of Old Red Lion, York Road, Leeds, LS14 2AD.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requested the Licensing Sub Committee’s consideration on an application made by West Yorkshire Police under section 53A of the Licensing Act 2003, for the summary review of the premises licence in respect of the Old Red Lion, York Road, Leeds, LS14 2AD.
In attendance at the meeting were:
· PC Clifford – West Yorkshire Police
· Carmel Brennand – Licensing Authority
· Jacqueline Lightfoot – DPS and on behalf of the Licence Holder, Gibo & Jays Lions Den Ltd
· Ian Gibson - On behalf of the Licence Holder, Gibo & Jays Lions Den Ltd
· Mr Bob Thompson, RJT Group 56 (Licensing Consultant) – applicant’s representative
It was also noted that present at the meeting were 2 residents who attended in support of the application. The residents wished to keep their anonymity and were referred to as Resident 1 and Resident 2.
The Licensing Officer presented the report informing the Sub Committee of the following points:
· This application was made by West Yorkshire Police on the grounds of serious crime, or serious disorder, or both.
· At an interim steps meeting held on 16th July 2021, Members resolved to exclude the following licensable activities from the scope of the premises licence with immediate effect:
o The sale by retail of alcohol
o The performance of live music
o Entertainment similar to live music, recorded music or dance.
· A redacted copy of the application was appended to the report at Appendix A.
· A representation made by the Licensing Authority which supports the review sought by West Yorkshire Police was appended to the report at Appendix F. Additional evidence was provided by the Licensing Authority which was included as a supplementary item
· The Environmental Protection Team had also made representation in support of the review application which provided a chronology of nuisance complaints, attached to the submitted report at Appendix G
· The application had also attracted representations from members of the public. The licensing authority were in receipt of 37 individual letters, of which 34 were in support of the premises on behalf of local residents, customers and employees of the premises, and 3 representations on behalf of local residents which supported the police’s application for review of the premises. It was noted that some of those who had sent in representations had expressed concerns that they may be at risk of retribution should their details be made public. As such their details had been redacted and they were to remain anonymous. Representations supporting the premises were appended to the submitted report at Appendix H. Representations in support of the review application were appended at Appendix I
· Paragraph 9.1 was highlighted to Members of the Sub Committee in their determination of the summary review.
PC Clifford of West Yorkshire Police informed the Sub Committee of the following points:
· He was of the view that those representations received in support of the premises should be viewed with some scepticism as he had heard the same details provided almost verbatim from the ... view the full minutes text for item 6.