Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds, LS1 1UR. View directions
Contact: Governance Services Agenda papers will be published on the Council’s website ahead of each meeting. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor Farley be elected as Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. However, in relation to Agenda Item 6 – Pintxos 44, 12A Austhorpe Road, Cross Gates, Leeds, LS15 8DX, supplementary information was circulated and published online prior to the meeting. Minute No. 6 refers.
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
No interests were raised.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requests the consideration of Members for an application for the grant of a premises licence made by Naki Akarsu, for Pintxos 44, 12A Austhorpe Road, Cross Gates, Leeds, LS15 8DX.
The report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) presented an application for the grant of a premises licence made by Naki Akarsu, for Pintxos 44, 12A Austhrope Road, Cross Gates, Leeds, LS15 8DX.
In attendance at the meeting were:
· Naki Akarsu – Premises Licence Applicant
· Stephen Thompson – Objector
Supplementary information was circulated in the form of additional information submitted on behalf of the applicant and further supplementary information received from an objector.
In summary, the application is for:
· Sale by retail of alcohol – Every Day 12:00 until 02:00
· Performance of recorded music – Every Day 12:00 until 02:00
· Performance of dance – Every Day 12:00 until 02:00
· Non-standard timings and seasonal variations – all authorised licensable activities to be extended to 04:00 on Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, and Bank Holidays
Representations have been received from West Yorkshire Police, a Local Residents’ Association, and a local resident. An agreement has been reached with West Yorkshire Police to amend the operating schedule and incorporate additional measures and therefore the representation from West Yorkshire Police has been withdrawn. The two other representations remain outstanding and oppose the application on the grounds of crime & disorder, public safety, and public nuisance.
The Legal Officer set out the procedure for the hearing and the Licensing Officer presented the application as set out in the submitted report.
The applicant informed the Sub-Committee of the following points:
· The applicant has been a resident in the Crossgates area for 22 years.
· The applicant owns La Cantina 44 and has never experienced any issues associated with it or the need for police interventions.
· The applicant intends on running the premises as a tapas and wine bar.
· The premises will only be open 5 days per week and will be closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
· Live music will be less frequent, and acts will only last for a couple of hours, which may be once every 6 weeks.
· The applicant does not believe that the premises will cause any issues.
Further to questions from Sub-Committee members, the applicant confirmed the following:
· The operating hours applied for provide flexibility for special occasions and events that may take place.
· It is intended that 10pm will be last orders for drinks.
· In comparing to La Cantina 44, special occasions may be held once a month or once every 6 weeks. The applicant is unsure how many events the premises will cater for.
· The applicant has not needed to apply for a Temporary Event Notice for his other premises La Cantina 44, only for New Year’s Eve or other special holidays.
The objector in attendance made the following points:
· The objector was shocked to see the intended operating hours of the premises and did not believe this is in keeping with other nearby premises.
· Although the applicant has agreed to reduce his hours to 01:30 am, in keeping with measures proposed by West Yorkshire Police, the police are not neighbours to the premises.
· There are flats and houses ... view the full minutes text for item 6.
To consider the report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory on an application to Vary a Premises Licence held by Red's True Barbecue, Unit 1, Cloth Hall Street, Cloth Hall, Leeds, LS1 2HD
This application was adjourned prior to the meeting and will be presented at a future meeting, all parties were informed of the adjournment.
The meeting ended at 11:20.