Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Link: to view the meeting
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor B Flynn be elected as Chair for the hearing.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There was no exempt information.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no late items. Supplementary information in relation to Agenda Item 6, Review of Premises Licence for Taag, Unit 2B, St Georges House, Great George Street, Leeds was published and distributed prior to the hearing.
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations.
To consider a report by the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory which sets out details of an application for a licence review made by West Yorkshire Police, in respect of Taag, Unit 2B, St. George House, 40 Great George Street, Leeds, LS1 3DL.
The report of the Chief Officer, Elections and Regulatory presented an application for the review of a Premises Licence for Taag, Unit 2B, St George’s House, 40 Great George Street, Leeds.
The following were in attendance:
- Andrew Garthwaite, West Yorkshire Police
- Bob Patterson, West Yorkshire Police
- Martin Mynard, West Yorkshire Police
- Carmel Brennand, LCC Entertainment Licensing
- Zoe Carter, LCC Environmental Protection Team
- Ed Smith, Representing the Premises Licence Holder
- Tijani Osennaga Yusufu, Premises Licence Holder
- Beth Moran – Witness for the Premises Licence Holder
- Steve Black – Witness for the Premises Licence Holder
- Luke Warner – Witness for the Premises Licence Holder
The Legal Adviser to the Sub-Committee set out the procedure to be followed and the Senior Licensing Officer outlined the application for review.
It was reported that West Yorkshire Police had submitted an application for the review of the licence on the grounds of the prevention of crime and disorder, public safety and the prevention of public nuisance. There had been a recent application to transfer the Premises Licence to Mr Tijani Yusufu and an application for him to become the Designated Premises Supervisor.
There had been supporting submissions for the review by Entertainment Licensing and Environmental Protection Team.
The West Yorkshire Police representative addressed the Sub-Committee. The following was highlighted:
· It was acknowledged that there had been significant changes in the management of the premises since the review was initially applied for.
· Reference was made to warnings issued by the Police and Environmental Protection regarding issues that included loud music and breaches in social distancing rules which had led to the review.
· Under the new management some of the concerns had been allayed and there was a suggestion of how matters could proceed. It was recognised that the final decision was to be made by the Sub-Committee but the following conditions to the licence were suggested:
o That the previous Premises Licence Holder has no input into the management of the premises.
o That there is a minimum of one Door Supervisor present on Friday and Saturday from 6.00 p.m.
o That a daily record register of each person on duty be maintained.
o That a communications link with the Police and other venues be maintained.
o That the Premises Licence Holder registers with Pubwatch or any other similar scheme.
o That any changes to the CCTV system at the premises be done in consultation with the Police.
o That the Licensing Department of West Yorkshire Police be informed of any ticketed or events organised by independent operators at the premises.
· It was felt that these conditions would be proportionate and reasonable for the operation of the premises licence under the new management arrangements.
The applicant’s representative addressed the Sub-Committee. The following was highlighted:
· The previous Premises Licence Holder had no interest in the future running of the premises.
· The Premises Licence Holder also held a Leeds City Council Personal Licence.
· Measures that were currently in ... view the full minutes text for item 6.