Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor A Hutchison be elected as Chair throughout the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. However, supplementary information was published in relation to Agenda Items 6 – Certification of Films – Leeds Young Film Festival, 7 – Capri at Roundhay, 112 Gledhow Valley Road and 8 – Mint Festival, Newsam Green Farm, Newsam Green, Pontefract Lane. Minute No. 6 and 8 refer.
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
No interest were raised by Sub-Committee members.
To receive and consider the attached report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) regarding an application for the certification of twenty films to be shown at The Carriageworks Theatre, 3 Millennium Square, Leeds, LS2 3AD. The films will be shown as part of Leeds Young Film Festival, taking place between 31stMarch and 7thApril 2023.
The report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) advised members of an application for the certification of twenty films to be shown at The Carriageworks Theatre, 3 Millennium Square, Leeds, LS2 3AD. The films will be shown as part of Leeds Young Film Festival taking place between 31st March and 7th April 2023.
Debbie Maturi, Director (Leeds Young Film Festival) attended the meeting and provided some background context on the festival. The festival has been around for 22 years and is funded by the British Film Institute (BFI) and reaches a variety of audiences.
Officers and Licensing Sub-Committee members were unable to access and view the film, ‘Little Bear’s Big Trip (Big Trip 2)’ and therefore decided not to grant a classification and the applicant agreed to remove this film from the festival.
RESOLVED – To grant the following classifications:
Journey to Yourland – PG rating
Bangla Surf Girls – 15 rating
The Magic Flute – PG rating
Best Birthday Ever – PG rating
My Fairy Troublemaker – PG rating
The Three Muskateers – PG rating
The Island – PG rating
Perlimps – PG rating
Icarus and the Minotaur – PG rating
The Websters – PG rating
My Robot Brother – PG rating
Oink – PG rating
Cricket & Antoinette – PG rating
How I learned to fly – PG rating
Detektiv Bruno – PG rating
Bigman – PG rating
Sonata – 12A rating
Gabi between ages 8 and 13 – 12A rating
Lucy Wanted – 12A
To receive and consider the attached report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) regarding an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Mint Festival Limited, for Mint Festival Limited Newsam Green Farm, Newsam Green, Pontefract Lane, Leeds, LS15 9AD.
The report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) presented an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Mint Festival Limited, for Mint Festival Limited Newsam Green Farm, Newsam Green, Pontefract Lane, Leeds, LS15 9AD.
The application is for a large outdoor live music event to take place over 2 days, one weekend a year, and subject to a capacity of 7,500 persons on each day for Year One. The application explains for subsequent years the capacity may rise to 9,999 persons each day.
The application does not seek camping provisions and the planning of the event involves ongoing consultations with Leeds Safety Advisory Group (SAG) with submissions of a comprehensive Events Management Plan (EMP).
In summary, the application is for:
· Sale by retail of alcohol, Saturday – 10:00 until 23:45 and Sunday 10:00 until 22:45
· Late night refreshment, Saturday, and Sunday 23:00 until 00:00
· Exhibition of film, performance of live music, performance of recorded music, performance of dance and entertainment of similar description, Saturday 10:00 until 23:00 and Sunday 10:00 until 22:00
It was noted that in one arena only there will be reduced levels to agree with Environmental Health conditions from 23:00 to 23:45 on Saturday and 22:00 until 22:45 on Sunday.
The following were in attendance for this item:
· Chris Rees-Gay, Applicant’s Representative
· Shane Graham, Mint Festival Limited (Director)
· Baz Arjomand, Mint Festival Limited
· Warren King, Noise Expert
· Andy MacKinnon, Transport Expert
· Luke Warner, Security
· Bobby Sagoo, Event Coordinator
· Simon McHardy, Security
· Richard Harrington, Medical
· Councillor Mark Dobson, Objector
The Legal Adviser to the Sub-Committee outlined the procedure for the hearing and Entertainment Licensing presented the application.
Representations were received from West Yorkshire Police (WYP) in their capacity as a responsible authority. In this instance, the operating schedule has been amended to include measures agreed with WYP, and therefore withdrawn their representation. Representations were also received from ‘other persons’, four individual letters from members of the public on the grounds of crime & disorder, public safety and public nuisance.
The Applicant’s Representative informed the Sub-Committee of the following points:
· Mint Festival Limited is considered an experienced operator, with over 20 years’ experience.
· Day 1 of the festival will be dedicated for house and dance music and the 2nd day of the festival will be a ‘he/she’ day which is considered a cultural and social event.
· Mint Festival is student orientated, for ages 20 – 25 years.
· A number of those listed in attendance have 15 years’ experience working with Mint Festival and therefore, have experience with dealing with this type of event.
· Close liaison has taken place with the SAG and the event will take place on a weekend in September 2023. An extensive EMP has been before the SAG and the contents of such plan are contained in the supplementary information.
· Liaison has also been made with local residents and ward members. Ward members from Rothwell, Burmantofts & Richmond Hill, Garforth & Swillington and Temple Newsam were consulted with, and details can be ... view the full minutes text for item 7.
To receive and consider the attached report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) regarding an application for the grant of a premises licence made by Ermal Brakaj, for Capri at Roundhay, 112 Gledhow Valley Road, Gledhow, Leeds, LS17 6LX.
A Sub-Committee member left the meeting at the end of the previous item and attempts were made for an alternative member to be identified as a substitute. However, such attempts were unsuccessful. Given this situation, in line with Licensing Procedure Rule 6, parties present were provided with an opportunity to agree to a quorum of two Sub-Committee members. When seeking agreement from parties to proceed on this basis, the objector in attendance indicated they did not wish to proceed with 2 Sub-Committee members and therefore it was
RESOLVED – To re-schedule the hearing for Tuesday, 7th February 2023 at 10:00 a.m.