Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds, LS1 1UR. View directions
Contact: Governance Services Agenda papers will be published on the Council’s website ahead of each meeting. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Prior to the start of the meeting, a Sub-Committee member was unable to attend. Best efforts were made to seek a third member, but such attempts were unsuccessful. Given this situation and in line with Licensing Procedure Rule 6, parties present are to be provided with an opportunity to agree a quorum of 2 Sub-Committee members. When seeking agreement to proceed on that basis, all parties in attendance agreed a quorum of 2 Sub-Committee members. The meeting therefore proceeded.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor N Buckley be elected as Chair throughout the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items.
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
Members did not declare any interests.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory advises the Licensing Sub Committee Members of an application for the certification of three short films to be screened 30th November 2023, at Hyde Park Picture House, Brudenell Road, Leeds LS6 1JD.
The report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) presented an application for the certification of three short films to be screened 30thNovember 2023, at Hyde Park Picture House, Brudenell Road, Leeds, LS6 1JD.
RESOLVED – To grant the following ratings:
Reckoning – 12A.
Negus – 12A.
Displaced – 12A.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory advises Members of an application to vary a premises licence made by JD Wetherspoon Plc., for The Golden Beam, Headingley Lane, Headingley, Leeds, LS6 1BX.
The report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) presented an application to vary a premises licence made by JD Wetherspoon Plc., for The Golden Beam, Headingley Lane, Headingley, Leeds, LS6 1BX.
The following were in attendance for this item:
· Nigel Connor, JD Wetherspoons Plc – Head of Legal
· Graham McCafferty, JD Wetherspoons Plc – Regional Manager
· Chris Donaghue, JD Wetherspoons Plc – Premises Manager
· Richard Davies, Objector
· Dr Richard Tyler, Objector
The Legal Officer outlined the procedure for the hearing and the Licensing Officer provided an overview of the application.
The premises currently has the benefit of a premises licence authorising the
· Sale by Retail of Alcohol Sunday to Thursday 09:00 until 22:30 and Friday & Saturday 09:00 until 23:00.
The applicant is JD Wetherspoon Plc. and the application seeks to:
· Increase the terminal hour for the Sale by Retail of Alcohol on Friday and Saturday to midnight.
· Include the provision of Late Night Refreshment on Friday and Saturday from 23:00 until midnight; and
· Amend the opening hours of the premises on Friday and Saturday to 08:00 until 00:30.
There have been no representations from responsible authorities. 14 representations remain outstanding from local residents, a local association group and a local MP, mainly on the grounds of the prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, and the prevention of public nuisance.
The applicant informed the Sub-Committee of the following information:
· There will continue to be no recorded / live music and the premises will continue to provide an extensive food and drinks offer.
· The building is in a much better state following a refurbishment that took place a couple of years ago.
· The application seeks an extension of hours for late night refreshment and sale of alcohol until midnight, and not 00:30 as some of the representations imply. The additional 30 minutes will allow for patrons to finish their drink, and to disburse gradually from the premises.
· The Otley Run does not impact upon the application and the premises does not allow people on the Otley Run to enter the premises and this is enforced through a condition attached to the premises licence.
· The Golden Beam has regularly engaged with the local community and has held 9 residents’ meetings which were well attended, and complaints have not typically been received at these meetings.
· Responsible authorities have not lodged any representations to the application. The police were informed of the application before it was submitted, and they did not raise any concerns or suggest any measures. The premises has a good working relationship with the police, and no reports have been made to them since the premises has opened.
· There has been 1 complaint from a resident on the Buckingham’s regarding issues associated with Otley Run but this is not associated with The Golden Beam. In responding to this, The Golden Beam extended their CCTV to cover the area affected in an attempt to monitor anti-social behaviour and to help address concerns raised by local residents.
· Issues experienced by local ... view the full minutes text for item 7.