Venue: Remote meeting
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor J Lennox be elected as Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There was no exempt information.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. However, some supplementary information in relation to Item 6 had been circulated prior to the meeting (Minute 6 refers).
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.
To consider the report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) advising Members of an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Allied London One Limited for The Dockside, Leeds Dock, Hunslet, Leeds, LS10 1EG.
The Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) submitted a report that advised Members of an application made under section 17 of the Licensing Act
2003 ("the Act") for a new premises licence in respect of The Dockside, Leeds Dock, Hunslet, Leeds, LS10 1EG.
The Legal Adviser to the Sub Committee explained the procedures to be followed and the Senior Licensing Officer outlined the application.
In summary, the application was for:
Sale by retail of alcohol
Monday to Wednesday 10:00 to 23:00
Thursday to Saturday 10:00 to 01:00
Sunday 10:00 to 23:00
Late night refreshment
Monday to Wednesday 23:00 to 23:30
Thursday to Saturday 23:00 to 01:30
Sunday 23:00 to 23:30
Monday to Wednesday 10:00 to 23:30
Thursday to Saturday 10:00 to 01:30
Sunday 10:00 to 23:30
From the start time on New Year's Eve to the terminal hour for New
The application had received representations from West Yorkshire Police in their capacity as a responsible authority. However, measures had been agreed prior to the meeting and incorporated in the operating schedule. Representations from members of the public remained outstanding on the grounds of public nuisance.
The following were in attendance:
o Rebecca Ingram, Applicant’s Representative
o Stephen Bickers, Leeds Dock Estate Manager (Allied London Ltd)
o Anthony Ellis, Managing Director (WePop)
o Steve Taylor, Objector
The applicant’s representative addressed the Sub-Committee, explaining that WePop would be operating the unit on the grounds. It was considered that Leeds Dock was an area of both commercial and residential use and there were various existing leisure uses nearby the premises. In responding to the representations, Members were advised of the following points:
· The application has been altered so that the standards timings have been reduced;
· The external outdoor seating area would not be used past 10 p.m. and patrons using the outdoor area after 10 p.m. would be smokers only;
· A residents meeting had been scheduled on two occasions to alleviate any of the residents’ concerns, and a letter detailing changes had been circulated to the objectors;
· The premises would be in-keeping with the area, and other licenced uses;
· Noise would be expected from a city centre location, and the premises would not contribute to any additional public nuisance. Continuous monitoring of noise would be undertaken along with a noise impact assessment;
· The operator had provided contact details to objectors, and would be happy to further distribute the details to nearby residents;
· The majority of residents living near the premises had not objected to the application and few objections remain outstanding;
· Live and recorded music would be covered by the de-regulation provisions of the Live Music Act.
In responding to Members questions, the following had been confirmed:
· The noise being permitted from the containers, would not be intrusive and was considered to generate what was deemed an average amount of noise;
· The style of seating had not yet been confirmed. However, this was expected to be around 110 inside, and 40 outside;
· The outdoor area ... view the full minutes text for item 6.