Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Link: to view the meeting
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor R Downes be elected as Chair for the hearing.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There was no exempt information.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no late items. Supplementary information had been submitted in the form of a skeleton argument by the applicant. This had been published alongside the Agenda and circulated to all parties prior to the hearing.
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
No declarations were made.
To receive and consider the attached report of the Chief Officer, Elections and Regulatory
The report of the Chief Officer, Elections and Regulatory presented an application for the grant of a Premises Licence (Bingo Premise) for Merkur Slots at 377-379 Harehills Lane, Leeds, LS9 6AP.
Prior to the commencement of the hearing all parties indicated that they were willing to proceed following the late publication of the agenda.
The following were in attendance:
· Mr Philip Kolvin QC - to present the applicant’s case
· Dr Richard Bradley, Solicitor, Poppleston Allen – For and on behalf of Cashino Gaming Limited
· Ms Amanda Kiernan, Head of Compliance, Cashino Gaming Limited
· Mr Andy Tipple, Head of Product, Cashino Gaming Limited
· Ms Gill Clulow, Senior Auditor, Cashino Gaming Limited
· Mr Chris Green, Expansion Manager, Cashino Gaming Limited
· Mr Darrel Butterworth, Independent Licensing & Security Consultant
· Susan Duckworth, Principal Licensing Officer - Licensing Authority
· Sophia Ditta, Communities & Environments (witness on behalf of Susan Duckworth)
· Sgt. Frederick Winster (West Yorkshire Police)
· Cllr Denise Ragan, Burmantofts & Richmond Hill – Objector
· Cristina Georgiou, local business owner – Objector/witness for Cllr D Ragan
· Donna Englefield, local resident - witness for Cllr D Ragan
· Cllr Salma Arif, Gipton & Harehills – Objector
· Karen Harris – Objector/witness for Councillor Arif.
The Legal Adviser to the Sub-Committee explained the procedures to be followed and the Senior Licensing Officer outlined the application.
It was reported that the application was for a Bingo Premises Licence for Merkur Slots at 377-379 Harehills Lane, Leeds. In accordance with Gambling Commission regulations a local area risk assessment had been provided.
Representations had been made to the application by the Licensing Authority and West Yorkshire Police as responsible authorities and there had also been objections from Local Councillors and residents.
The applicant’s representative addressed the Sub-Committee. The following was highlighted:
· It was acknowledged that the premises fell within an area of deprivation. The applicant had given conscientious consideration to the concerns that had been raised and as expected to the terms of the Gambling Act and Council’s policy.
· Local risk assessments had been carried out and the application was subject to more conditions than any other licence held by the company.
· The Sub-Committee was invited to accept that the applicant led a professional and diligent operation and that the measures proposed presented a proper response to the issues identified to protect the licensing objectives.
· None of the applicant’s other premises had been subject to a review despite a number of these that were situated in challenging areas.
· The applicant was committed to upholding the licensing objectives and had well established operating processes.
· Staff received six weeks of induction and annual refresher training to ensure company objectives were met.
· An issues identified by staff were acted upon immediately.
· Compliance of the regulations were inspected by Area Managers and tested by mystery shoppers and test purchases.
· The applicant had five other premises in Leeds which did not have individual conditions. There were thirty five additional conditions proposed for this application.
· The premises would not be a hub for crime and disorder. The company’s track ... view the full minutes text for item 6.