Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Link: to view the meeting
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – Councillor Paul Wray was elected as Chair for the hearing.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
RESOLVED – That, Appendix C and D, as well as pages 27 – END contained in the Supplementary Pack be designated as being exempt from publication in accordance with 9.2 (b) and 10.4(3) of Regulation 14 of the Licensing Act 2003 (Hearings) Regulations 2005 because it contained information relating to business affairs.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. Supplementary information had been submitted with regard to Agenda Item 6 – Application for the Grant of a Premises Licence for Mint Festival, Newsam Green Farm, Newsam Green, Pontefract Lane, Leeds, LS15 9AD. This information had been distributed to all parties and published alongside the agenda prior to the hearing.
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.
Application for the Grant of a Premises Licence for Mint Festival, Newsam Green Farm, Newsam Green, Pontefract Lane, Leeds, LS15 9AD PDF 141 KB
The report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) requests Members consideration of an application made under Section 17 of the of the Licensing Act 2003 ("the Act") for a new premises licence in respect of Mint Festival, Newsam Green Farm, Newsam Green, Pontefract Lane, Leeds, LS15 9AD.
The report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) set out an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Mint Festival Limited for Mint Festival, Newsam Green Farm, Newsam Green, Pontefract Lane, Leeds, LS15 9AD.
In attendance for this item were:
o Christopher Rees-Gay, Pinsent Masons LLP (Applicant’s Representative)
o Shane Graham, Mint Festival Limited (Director)
o Therese McMullen, Mint Festival Limited
o Baz Arjomand, Mint Festival Limited
o Bobby Sagoo, Proposed DPS/Grace & Tailor
o Andy McKinnon, SEP Events (Transport)
o James Silson, SEP Events (Transport)
o David Bellas, G4S Security
o Warren King, Noise Expert
o Richard Harrington, Medical
o Councillor Mark Dobson, Objector
The Legal Adviser to the Sub-Committee outlined the procedure for the hearing.
The Licensing Officer presented the application, providing Members with the following information:
· Changes have been made to the application since submission, and as such an amendment has been made to the Operating Schedule, to limit the premises licence to one event per year to take place on a Saturday. The hours open have also been amended from 10am until 1am the following morning to allow for dispersal;
· For Year 2 and onwards the capacity of any event will be limited to 19,999;
· Extensive planning of the event has been undertaken by the applicant including ongoing consultation with the Safety Advisory Group (SAG), consultation with individual SAG partners, discussions with the emergency services/ other relevant agencies and the submission of event management plan/ risk assessments;
· There will be no camping provisions;
· Agreements had been reached with West Yorkshire Police (WYP) and the Environmental Protection Team (EPT) in their capacity as responsible authorities. Additional measures form part of the operating schedule;
· The Highways Department had submitted comments, and these can be found in the supplementary pack provided to Members prior to the hearing.
The Applicant’s Representative informed the Sub-Committee of the following points:
· Mint Festival has operated for 20 years and is a dance and house music festival, with live bands;
· Mint Festival is student orientated, for ages 20 – 25 years;
· The Director also owns Mint Nightclub situated in the centre of Leeds, and is also responsible for Cocoon in the Park;
· Close liaison will continue to take place with the SAG – page 247 of the submitted report sets out key timings;
· The application was initially for a 4 day weekend camping event, however due to the representations received, the event has been reduced to a 1 day event;
· Mint Festival wishes to incorporate the same opening hours as the previous year due to its successes with dispersal. It was confirmed that noise from the licensed site, will be inaudible inside the nearest noise sensitive premise after 23:00;
· Consultation has been undertaken with local ward councillors and additional notices had been put up in the local area. A community engagement plan has been produced and details a letter to local residents will be circulated 4 weeks prior to the event;
· No representations have been received from responsible authorities following reached ... view the full minutes text for item 6.