Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Link: to view the meeting
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor Andrew Hutchison be elected to the Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against the refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. However there was supplementary information which had been published to the web page and circulated.
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
No declaration of disclosable pecuniary interests were made.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requests Members consideration on an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Mr Agar Khalil Hamid, for Stokrotka 195 Chapeltown Road (Units A,B & C), Chapeltown, Leeds, LS7 3DX.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requested Members consideration for the grant of a premises licence, made by Mr Agar Khalil Hamid, for Stokrotka 195 Chapeltown Road (Units A, B & C), Chapeltown, Leeds, LS7 3DX
Members were advised of the following points:
· This application was for the grant of a premises licence for a small supermarket;
· The applicant proposed to promote the licensing objectives by taking the steps identified in Section M of the application form;
· Further to receiving the application, the applicant’s agent had instructed the Licensing Authority of a reduction to the hours for the sole proposed activity; Sale by Retail of Alcohol. The instruction was to reduce the hours from 06:00 – 00:00 Monday to Sunday, to 10:00 – 22:00 Monday to Sunday, a copy of the letter was appended to the report at Appendix B. It was noted that the time the premises proposed to open to the public had also been amended to reflect the timings detailed in the proposal;
· The applicant had submitted additional items in support of the application for Members of the Licensing Sub-Committee to consider. These documents include a letter served on all objectors, where addresses have been provided, giving the applicant’s background and an overview of the application, an assessment of the objections received to the application and data on crime and anti-social behaviour in the vicinity of the premises;
· A copy of the supporting information was attached to the submitted report at Appendix C;
· Joint representation had been received from local ward members which was attached at Appendix E;
· 29 individual letters of representation and a petition had been received these were attached at Appendix F;
· A list of other licensed premises in the area was attached at Appendix G.
In attendance at the meeting were:
· Mr Agar Hamid – Applicant
· Mr Chris Connor – Applicants Representative
· Mr A Clark – Applicants Representative - as an observer
· Ms Amanda Usher-Woods of Woodswhur representing the objectors
· Mr Peter Wenham – Objector
· Ms Bridget Robinson – Objector
· Ms Elaine Rey – Objector
Mr Conner informed the Sub-Committee of the following points:
· The applicant had made changes to the request for permitted hours these were now proposed as 10am-10pm. He had also reduced opening and closing times to 7am – 10pm;
· The letter to the objectors had been sent advising them how Mr Hamid proposed to run his business. It was noted that the premises had opened on Saturday 5th December, but was not selling alcohol;
· Mr Connor said that Mr Hamid had come to this country from Syria and had invested highly in his business. He had previously worked at a premises in Lincoln Green;
· The building had previously been unoccupied. Mr Hamid had invested £150,000 in refurbishing the shop with new windows, front facia to provide a customer friendly premises. It was noted that Mr Hamid had taken out a 10 year lease on the building;
· Spirits would be kept behind the counter, with ... view the full minutes text for item 6.