Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor Andrew Hutchison be elected as Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. However, some supplementary information was published and circulated prior to the meeting in relation to Item 6 (Minute 6 refers)
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests.
Application for the grant of a premises licence for Cora, 162 High Street, Boston Spa, Wetherby, LS23 6BW PDF 218 KB
To consider the report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) that advises Members of an application made under section 17 of the Licensing Act 2003 ("the Act") for a new premises licence in respect of Cora, 162 High Street, Boston Spa, Wetherby, LS23 6BW.
The Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) submitted a report seeking Member’s considerations on an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Co Dining Ltd, for Cora, 162 High Street, Boston Spa, Wetherby, LS23 6BW.
Some supplementary information, in the form of menus and background information, was agreed by all parties and circulated prior to the meeting.
In summary, the application requested the sole activity sale by retail of alcohol Monday – Sunday 09:00 until 23:00 hours.
The application had received representations from West Yorkshire Police and local residents. West Yorkshire Police withdrew their representation following the agreement of additional measures with the applicant prior to the meeting. Outstanding representations from residents related to noise nuisance and anti-social behaviour. There were no objectors present at the meeting.
The following were in attendance:
o Paddy Whur – Applicant’s Representative
o Elizabeth Cottam – Applicant (Co Dining Ltd)
Mr Whur addressed the Sub-Committee on behalf of the applicant, and informed Members of the following points:
· The applicant has featured on Master Chef, and visions improving Kirkgate Market with her other premises HOME and The Owl;
· The applicant is a Chef, and keen to ensure her premises are food-led by offering tasting experiences, a comprehensive wine, champagne, and dessert menu, as well as a bakery and patisserie-based breakfast, lunch and afternoon tasting experiences throughout the day;
· The premises would not sell draught beer, and alcohol was designed to complement the food;
· 15 new employment opportunities in the local area have been created;
· There have been no past issues promoting the licensing objectives with other premises HOME and The Owl;
· A Temporary Event Notice for the sale of alcohol was issued for an event that had taken place at Cora and it was confirmed that the event was successful with no issues;
· One of the additional conditions agreed with West Yorkshire Police provided reassurances that the premises would be predominantly food-led;
· The applicant has consulted with the Parish Council.
In response to questions from Members the Licensing Sub-Committee were provided with the following information:
· The tasting menu accommodates 45 different small plates that bring together traditional flavours of English breakfast in a fine dining way, and the premises offers a relaxed professional environment for breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner;
· Consultation has been undertaken with residents, particularly in relation to late night entertainment concerns;
· There is a waste management strategy in place for the premises and efforts have been made to reduce glass in HOME and The Owl, and the applicant will continue to do this. Additionally, it was noted that there was an agreement in principle to place a bin on an external piece of land and noise subject to that will be managed accordingly;
· Smoking has never caused issues at Home and The Owl and it was confirmed that smoking will not be encouraged outside a high-quality venue;
· The external seating area will accommodate 2 small benches to the front of the premises and is not intended to serve the tasting ... view the full minutes text for item 6.