Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor Lennox be elected as Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no late items.
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-16 of the Members’ Code of Conduct.
There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests or other interests at the meeting.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory is to advise Members of an application for the certification of films to be shown within the Cinema Tent at Leeds Festival, Bramham Park, Thorner Lane, Leeds, LS23. The exhibition of these films will take place between Thurs 26th and Sun 29th August 2021.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory advised Members of an application for the certification of films to be shown within the Cinema Tent at Leeds Festival, Bramham Park, Thorner Lane, Leeds, LS23. The exhibition of these films is to take place between Thurs 26th and Sun 29th August 2021.
Members were informed of an application which had been received from Film Oxford, on behalf of Festival Republic, to have a number of short films certified as they were not currently certified by the BBFC. The films are to be shown in the Cinema Tent of the Leeds Festival site, within the grounds of Bramham Park.
Members had been provided with current BBFC Classification Guidelines which were appended to the report at Appendix A.
A list detailing the films that request certification which includes a link to view the films online, a synopsis, the applicant’s recommended rating and comments added by Licensing Officers, was appended to the submitted report at Appendix B. The document includes redactions as the supplied links direct the observer toward unclassified content that some viewers may find offensive. The original copy of the list had been provided to Members of the Licensing Sub Committee in advance of the hearing.
Members noted that the Leeds Festival, Bramham Park, do have the
benefit of a premises licence authorising the exhibition of films for this year:
· Thurs 26th August 2021 19:00 until 03:00 the following day
· Fri 27th to Sun 29th August 2021 12:00 until 06:00 the following day
A representative from Film Oxford, Marvin Belle attended the hearing to give additional details of the films and to answer any questions the Licensing Sub Committee may have.
Members had read the synopsis, and the comments provided by the officers. Members had viewed some of the films including Mandem and Seeds of Love. Members raised concerns in relation to both these films:
· Mandem – They were of the view that this film normalised drug use, glamourised drug dealing and did not portray the nastier side of drugs. They also had concerns that 12 year olds may not be mature enough to fully understand this film.
· Seeds of Love – Concerns raised in relation to the graphic content and references to sexual acts. They recognised that the film is about grief and that the graphic scenes were pixilated.
In response to questions from Members Mr Belle provided the following information:
· The films would be shown in the film tent after the bands had finished playing. The tent would be open on most nights from midnight with films classified as 15 being shown about 2:00am.
· It was noted that most of the films to be shown at the festival were directed by men. However, Mr Belle confirmed that usually the films shown were directed by an equal number of men and women. The films chosen were to grab people’s attention as they wandered in and out of the tent.
· Posters would be displayed to show the certification of each film ... view the full minutes text for item 6.