Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Cllr Neil Buckley be elected to the Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no late items.
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
There were declarations of interests made at the meeting.
To consider a report of the Chief Officer, Elections and Regulatory which sets out details of an application which seeks the grant of a Premises Licence at Burley Conservative Club, 4 Bankfield House, Bankfield Gardens, Burley, Leeds, LS4 2JS
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requested Members’ consideration on an application for the grant of a premises licence for the Burley Conservative Club 4 Bankfield House, Bankfield Gardens, Burley, Leeds, LS4 2JS.
In attendance at the meeting were:
· Paul Owen – Representing Burley Conservative Club
· Dougie Smithson – Burley Conservative Club Committee Member
· Denise Heath – Burley Conservative Club Committee Member
· Objector to the application
The Legal Officer set out the procedure for the meeting.
The Licensing Officer advised the Sub-Committee of the application as follows:
· This application was for the grant of a premises licence in respect of Burley Conservative Club, 4 Bankfield House, Bankfield Gardens, Burley, Leeds, LS4 2JS. This application was made to replace a club premises certificate, to allow the club to change the way it operates. Members were advised that it was the applicant’s intention to allow members of the public, in addition to club members, associates members and their guests to use the club facilities without the need to apply for Temporary Event Notices.
· A redacted version of the application was appended to the report at Appendix A and was for:
o Sale by retail of alcohol, performance of a play, exhibition of a film, indoor sporting events, performance of live music and performance of recorded music
§ Sunday to Thursday 09:00-00:00
§ Friday and Saturday 09:00 – 01:00
o Performance of dance and entertainment similar to live music, recorded music or dance
§ Monday to Saturday 09:00-23:00
§ Sunday 09:00-22:30
· The applicant had proposed to promote the licensing objectives by taking steps identified in the pro-forma risk assessment which was attached at Appendix B.
· An additional pro-forma had been provided by the applicant expanding on non-member usage of the premises. This was attached at Appendix C.
· Emails had been exchanged between the applicant and West Yorkshire Police, clarifying the condition offered in relation to CCTV. It was noted that the Police had no further observations. The emails were appended to the report at Appendix D.
· No representations had been received from responsible authorities in relation to the application. However, the application had attracted a representation from a member of the public opposing the application on grounds of public nuisance. The report had advised Members that the objector wished to remain anonymous. However, the objector was at the meeting to present his reasons for objecting. A redacted copy of his letter was attached to the report at Appendix F.
· Members were provided with a list of premises in the local area and their licenced hours and activities which was attached at Appendix G.
Mr Owen addressed the Licensing Sub Committee and provided the following information:
· In May 2021 a complaint had been received by Licensing in relation to noise at the club. It was after the lockdown and Club members were drinking outside in the carpark area. It was at this time that the club were advised that they were not licensed for drinking in the external areas.
· It was ... view the full minutes text for item 6.