Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Cllr B Flynn be elected to the Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no late items.
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
No declarations of interests were made at the meeting.
The report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) requests Member’s consideration of a Temporary Event Notice received for Church Room, Unit 3, 124 Lupton Avenue, Harehills, Leeds LS9 6ED.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory advised Members that a temporary event notice had been received by the Licensing Authority in respect of an event to be held at Church Room, Unit 3 124 Luton Avenue, Harehills, Leeds LS9 6ED.
Members were also advised that Leeds City Council Environmental Protection Team had served a notice of objection on the grounds of Public Nuisance.
Present at the meeting were:
· Elizabeth Hebbert (EHO/Senior Technical Officer, Environmental Protection Team, Leeds City Council)
· Ladislav Horvatova (Premises User)
· Jimmy Sydney (Premises User’s Representative)
At the start of the hearing, it was explained to the parties that the third member of the Sub Committee had had to withdraw due to illness and it had not been possible to find a substitute member. The parties were told that the hearing could proceed if they consented, with the proviso that for a decision to be reached would require the remaining two members to agree on an outcome. The alternative was for the hearing to be adjourned. The parties wished for the hearing to go ahead.
The Legal Officer set out the procedure for the hearing.
The Licensing Officer provided the following information:
· These premises do not have the benefit of a premises licence, however a number of events have been held at the premises this year authorising licensable activities using temporary event notices.
· Past temporary event notices were listed at 2.2 of the submitted report.
· The proposed premises user is Mrs Terezie Horvatova and a copy of the temporary event notice was attached at Appendix A of the submitted report.
· The temporary event notice was for sale by retail of alcohol (for consumption on the premises), regulated entertainment and late night refreshment, from 21:00 hours on Friday 8th April until 04:00 hours on Saturday 9th April 2022.
· The maximum stated capacity for the event was 250 persons.
· The location of the premises was appended to the report at Appendix B.
· Both West Yorkshire Police and Leeds City Council’s Environmental Protection Team had received a copy of the notice. The Environmental Protection Team had issued an objection notice on the grounds of public nuisance.
Ms Hebbert addressed the Sub-Committee explaining that the objection notice had been issued following complaints received about previous events at the premises. She said that 5 events had been held at the premises with the use of temporary event notices with either Jimmy Sydney or Terezie Horvatova as the applicants.
The first complaint had been received in relation to the event held on 4th February 2022, when the Out of Hours Service had been contacted regarding loud music coming from the building and people coming and going with disturbance from 10:30pm until 04:00am. It was noted that the Police had been called.
Following the event on the 25th February 2022, a further complaint had been received. One of Ms Hebbert’s colleagues had spoken to Mr Sydney and Mr Horvatova and had provided advice on how to better control ... view the full minutes text for item 6.