Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – That Councillor A Hutchison be elected as Chair throughout the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
(Executive Arrangements) (Meetings and Access to Information) (England) Regulations 2012, Members agreed to exclude parties from part of the meeting during consideration of item 6 – New Middleton Thorpe Street, Middleton, Leeds, LS10 4HD, designated as exempt from publication in accordance with paragraphs 10.4(1) of the Local Government Act 1972 on the grounds that the supplementary information provided is likely to reveal the identity of individuals, and as such, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosure at this time. The agenda pack also included information designated as exempt under 9.2(b) which is prohibited to the public by or under another Act or by Court Order.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no formal late items. However, Sub-Committee Members received supplementary information prior to the meeting in relation to Agenda Item 6 – New Middleton Thorpe Street, Middleton, Leeds, LS10 4HD.
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
No interests were raised at the meeting.
The attached report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory set out an application for the grant of a premises licence made by Ms Tanya Clowes, for New Middleton, 4 Thorpe Street, Middleton, Leeds, LS10 4HD.
The report of the Chief Officer (Elections and Regulatory) informed the Sub-Committee of an application for the grant of a new premises licence made by Ms Tanya Clowes, for New Middleton, 4 Thorpe Street, Middleton, LS10 4HD.
The application sought a licence for the sale of alcohol (for consumption both on and off the premises) Monday to Sunday 11:00 until 23:00 and non-standard timings on New Year’s Eve until 01:00 hours the following morning on New Year’s Day.
Representations objecting to the application were received from WYP and the Licensing Authority in their capacity as responsible authorities. It was noted that WYP submitted additional information contained at Appendix E and is exempt from public viewing as it contained information relating to an individual.
The following were in attendance for this item:
o Ewen MacGregor, Applicant’s Representative
o Tanya Clowes, Applicant
o Dave Parker, West Yorkshire Police (WYP)
o Victoria Radford, Entertainment Licensing, Leeds City Council (LCC)
3 residents attended the meeting as observers in support of the applicant.
An overview of the history of the premises was provided to Sub-Committee Members in relation to the revocation of a previous premises licence following a review application sought by the Licensing Authority.
The applicant’s representative provided the Sub-Committee with the following information:
· The applicant, with the support of the local community intends to re-open a community meeting space for residents.
· The applicant previously worked at the premises from 2008 until 2017. It was noted that the applicant worked at the premises under previous ownerships, and it was acknowledged that a change of hands presented issues resulting in the revocation of the previous licence. It was confirmed that the applicant was not involved with the day-to-day management nor running of the premises under Ms Jackson and the applicant intends to mirror how the premises was run under Mr Rycroft. Additionally, it was confirmed that any familial relationship between the applicant and Mr Jackson is distant, and he will solely be the landlord of the premises.
· The applicant is a foster carer and has a young family. As at least one of her children is now older, the applicant has a desire to make a personal investment and bring something to the community.
· The premises will be locked up, gated and alarmed. CCTV will also be in use at the premises and work has been undertaken in relation to fire safety.
· The applicant engages with stakeholders, something that the previous licence holder did not do.
· The conditions in the operating schedule have been revised to include suggestions as sought by WYP. In relation to one of the conditions, it was confirmed that a condition to restrict Mr Jackson’s involvement in the premises has been added to restrict access when licensable activities are taking place. Mr Jackson is the landlord of the premises and will only have access in terms of maintenance of the building.
· The suggested conditions as set out in the revised operating schedule will be incorporated:
o 2 door supervisors 8pm Friday, ... view the full minutes text for item 6.