Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – To elect Councillor Ann Forsaith to the Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against refusal of inspections of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no late items.
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
No declarations of interests were made at the meeting.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory advises the Licensing Sub Committee Members of an application for the certification of two films to be screened at Pyramid Theatre – Leeds University Union, Lifton Place, Leeds LS2 9JT, and Wharf Chambers, 23 - 25 Wharf Street, Leeds, LS2 7EQ. The screenings are scheduled to take place on the 6th and 12th December 2022.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory advised Licensing Sub Committee Members of an application for the certification of two films to be screened at Pyramid Theatre – Leeds University Union, Lifton Place, Leeds
LS2 9JT, and Wharf Chambers, 23 - 25 Wharf Street, Leeds, LS2 7EQ. The screenings are scheduled to take place on the 6th and 12th December 2022.
The applicant had provided advance screeners and recommended a 15 rating for each film.
In attendance for the meeting was:
· Ollie Jenkins, Hyde Park Picture House
A copy of each request, including a synopsis and the applicant’s suggested rating, can be found at Appendix A of this report.
To assist members with their deliberation officers of the Licensing Authority had viewed the available films and confirmed that they have no concerns with the applicants recommended 15 rating when considered in accordance with the BBFC classification guidelines. A copy of the BBFC guidelines was available for Member’s information.
RESOLVED – That the films Metamorphosis and A Distant Place be certified as 15 rating.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requests Member’s consideration on an application for the grant of a premises licence made by RS (Headingley) Ltd, for Residence 74, 5-7 North Lane, Headingley, Leeds,
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requested Member’s consideration of an application for the grant of a premises licence made by RS (Headingley) Ltd, for Residence 74, 5-7 North Lane, Headingley, Leeds,
In attendance for this item were:
· Salar Eftekhary, RS (Headingley) Ltd – Director
· Ramin Darvish, RS (Headingley) Ltd - Shareholder
· Dr Richard Tyler – Objector who was represented by Cllr Walshaw
· Ian Barraclough – Objector
The Legal Officer outlined the procedure for the hearing.
The Licensing Officer presented the application providing the Licensing Sub Committee with the following information:
· This is the first application for a premises licence for these premises. The applicant’s name is RS (Headingley) Ltd. and the proposed designated premises supervisor is Salar Eftekhary.
· The application is for:
o Sale of alcohol for consumption both on and off the premises
§ Sunday to Thursday 09:00 until 23:00
§ Friday and Saturday 09:00 until 23:30
o Live music and recorded music
§ Sunday to Thursday 09:00 until 23:30
§ Friday and Saturday 09:00 until 00:00
o No non-standard timings for bank holidays or special occasions are proposed.
· A redacted version of the application was attached to the submitted report at Appendix A. The applicant proposed to promote the licensing objectives by taking the steps identified in section 18 of the application form.
· A map identifying the location of the premises was appended to the report at Appendix B.
· It was noted that West Yorkshire Police had made a representation. However, negotiations had taken place prior to the hearing and in this instance the operating schedule was amended to include the measures agreed with West Yorkshire Police which related to CCTV, incident report register and that the premises should remain food led. A copy of the agreement was attached to the report at Appendix C.
· The application had attracted ten individual representations from members of the public opposed to the application on the grounds of public nuisance and public safety, redacted copies of the representations were attached to the report at Appendix D.
· Members were advised that the premises are located within the cumulative impact area for Headingley and Hyde Park. Details of the cumulative impact policy specific to Headingley and Hyde Park and an outline of the evidence behind the reason for setting this policy was appended to the report at Appendix E.
· A list of premises in the local area and their licensed hours and activities was provided at Appendix F.
Mr Eftekhary informed the Licensing Sub Committee of the following:
· He had read the representations and acknowledged that the proposed premises would be in the cumulative impact area (CIP).
· He told the Sub-Committee that he already had an established business with a premises licence on Otley Old Road in Weetwood. This was a family orientated business and he wanted to create the same business model in Headingley.
· Mr Eftekhary said the premises was currently disused, ... view the full minutes text for item 7.