Venue: Room 3, Civic Hall
Election of a Chair/Vice Chair
a) D Roundtree, Schools Group representative was elected as Chair,
b) A Cox, Roman Catholic Church Diocese, was elected as Vice Chair
Chair's Opening Remarks
To receive the Chair’s opening remarks.
The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and invited those present to introduce themselves.
Declarations of Interest
To note any declarations of interest.
Mrs A Cox, Roman Catholic Church diocese representative, informed the meeting of the proximity between St Mary’s Catholic Primary School and Broadgate Primary School, noting the possible impact that the expansion proposals to be considered for Broadgate may have on St Mary’s Catholic primary school.
To receive and consider the attached reports of Capacity Planning and Sufficiency regarding the outcome of statutory notices for the expansion of primary provision in Farsley and Horsforth for 2015 and to make a recommendation to the Executive Board to assist in reaching a decision on the proposals.
The proposals subject of the expansion programme are:
· Expansion of Farsley Westroyd Infant School and Farsley Springbank Junior Schools and convert them both into primary schools
· Expansion of Broadgate Primary School, Horsforth
The Board considered a report by the Legal Adviser to the School Organisation Advisory Board explaining the role of the Board in considering objections to the following proposals and to make recommendations to the Executive Board to assist the Executive Board in reaching a decision in relation to the following proposals:
a) To expand Farsley Westroyd Infant School from a capacity of 180 pupils to 210 pupils and raising the upper age limit from 7 to 11, therefore creating a primary school with an admission number of 30, with effect from September 2015.
b) To expand Farsley Springbank Junior School from a capacity from 240 to 420 and lowering the age limit from 7 to 4, therefore creating a primary school with an admission number of 60, with effect from September 2015
It was reported that a total of 12 representations had been received to the proposals for expansion of the Farsley schools (10 objections and 2 in support)
c) To expand Broadgate Primary School from a capacity of 210 pupils to 420 pupils with an increase in the admission number from 30 to 60 with effect from September 2015
It was reported that a total of 3 representations had been received to the proposal for expansion of Broadgate Primary school, all in objection
The Board considered the proposals having regard to the following background documents:
• Report of Capacity Planning and Sufficiency 9 June 2014 – Outcome of statutory notices for the expansion of primary provision in Farsley and Horsforth for 2015
• Report of the Director of Children’s Services 14 February 2014 to Executive Board – Outcome of consultation on the proposals to increase primary provision in Farsley
• Public consultation document – Proposals to increase primary school places in Farsley and Calverley from September 2015
• Correspondence from the Governing Body of Farsley Sprinbank Junior School
• Correspondence from the Governors of Westroyd Infant School and Nursery
• Copies of the ten representations received from the public
• Report of the Director of Children’s Services to the Executive Board 5 March 2014 – Part A Outcome of Statutory Notices on proposals for the expansion of Calverley C of E Primary School, Part B Outcome of Consultation on a proposal for the expansion of Broadgate Primary School, Horsforth and Part C Outcome of Statutory Notice on proposals for the expansion of Broomfield South SILC and West oaks SSEN Specialist School and College
• Public consultation document – Proposals to increase primary school places in Horsforth at Broadgate Primary School from September 2015
• Copies of the three representations received from the public
• Report of the Director of Children’s Services – Basic Need Programme – Permission to consult on school place expansions for 2015.
The Board dealt with the expansion proposals for Farsley Westroyd and Farsley Springbank together
Farsley Westroyd and Farsley Springbank
Mrs E Lowes, Deputy Capacity Planning and Sufficiency Manager, Children’s Services addressed the proposals. In particular the following matters were highlighted:
· Expansion proposals would address ... view the full minutes text for item 4.