Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Helen Gray 0113 247 4355
Election of a Chair
To elect a Chair for the meeting.
RESOLVED – That Angela Cox, Roman Catholic Church Diocese, be elected as Chair of the meeting
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
To note any declarations of interest.
No declarations of disclosable pecuniary interest were made
To receive and consider the attached report of Capacity Planning and Sufficiency, Children’s Services, on the outcome of the statutory notice on the proposal to expand Gledhow Primary School and to consider the response to the representation received and to make a recommendation to the Executive Board to assist in reaching a final decision on the proposal.
The report describes the proposal, brought forward as part of a programme of expansion of primary provision to ensure the local authority meets its legal duty to secure sufficient school places; and the representation received.
The proposal being to expand Gledhow Primary School from a capacity of 420 pupils to 630 pupils, with an increase in the admission number from 60 to 90 with effect from September 2016.
The School Organisation Advisory Board considered a report by the Capacity Planning and Sufficiency Team regarding the outcome of a statutory notice on proposals to expand primary provision in Roundhay for 2016. The report sought the Board’s consideration of one representation received in respect of proposals to expand Gledhow Primary School from a capacity of 420 pupils to 630 pupils, with an increase of the admission number from 60 to 90 with effect from September 2016, and to make a recommendation to the Executive Board in reaching a decision in relation to the proposals.
The Board considered the proposals having regard to the following documents:
· Report of the Director of Children’s Services to Executive Board 17 September 2014 (Part B of the report - Outcome of consultation on proposals to expand primary school provision in Roundhay)
· A representation received from a member of the public
· The consultation booklet entitled “A Consultation about proposals to increase primary school places from September 2016”
· Report of Capacity Planning and Sufficiency 13 November 2014 “Outcome of Statutory Notice on proposals to expand Primary Provision in Roundhay for 2016”
· The Notice publicising the consultation published 26 September 2014 “Proposal to Expand Gledhow Primary School from September 2016”
Mrs E Lowes, Deputy Capacity Planning and Sufficiency Manager, Children’s Services addressed the proposals. In particular the following matters were highlighted:
· The proposals would provide additional primary provision in the Roundhay area.
· Statutory guidance had been followed.
· Only one representation had been received to the proposals.
· Representatives of Gledhow School were key to the design process and were keen to retain the existing ethos of the school and to continue to meet the needs of the pupils
Mr Steve Archer, Head of Gledhow Primary School, attended the meeting and responded to the Board’s queries in respect of
- Current use of an area of greenspace to the rear of the school which would be affected by the proposals to protect and bring it within the curtilage and control of the school
- Measures to advise occasional users of the greenspace and dog walkers of the forthcoming changes
- Community use of the school building and grounds
- The role of the school in the development of the proposals
- How the atmosphere and ethos of the school would be maintained
The Chair asked the representatives of Children’s Services and the School to leave the room in order to discuss the proposals. The Board considered the comments raised during the statutory notice period, the contents of the report and the contents of the representation submitted by a member of the public during the consultation
The Board noted that the member of the public who had sent the email which had required the Board to convene had sent a further email prior to the meeting. It was not clear to the Board whether the member of the public had intended to object to the proposals. It appeared to the Board that the member of the public did not in fact ... view the full minutes text for item 15.