Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Andy Booth, 0113 3788665 Email: email@example.com
Link: to view the meeting
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of Press and Public
1 To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
2 To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
3 If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-
There was no exempt information.
To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration
(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes)
There were no late items.
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
There were no declarations.
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were submitted on behalf of Councillors Blackburn, Maloney and Wadsworth.
Councillors Forsaith and Anderson were in attendance as substitutes.
Following the announcement regarding the health of Queen Elizabeth II, Members of the Panel expressed that their thoughts and prayers would be with the Royal Family. Members felt that with respect to the Queen’s commitment to public service that the meeting should continue.
To confirm as a corret record, the minutes o fthe meeting held on Thursday, 11 August 2022.
RESOLVED – That the minutes of the meeting held on 11 August 2022 be confirmed as a correct record subject to the following amendment:
Minute No. 29 – Application 22/01889/FU – Yorkshire Bank, Merrion Way and land fronting Leeds Arena, Clay Pit Lane, Leeds
Amendment to bullet point to read as ‘An assessment had been provided and indicated up to 1% of trade would be diverted away from Harrogate and up to 6% from Harrogate Convention Centre,
Pre-application presentation of proposed residential development of 130 units.
The report of the Chief Planning Officer introduced a pre-application for a proposed development of 130 units on the former Thyssen Krupp site, 177 Kirkstall Road, Leeds, LS24 2AQ.
Members visited the site prior to the meeting and site plans and photographs were displayed and referred to throughout the discussion.
It was reported that the scheme would provide 100% affordable housing. There was an amendment to the report to clarify that there would be a 4 to 6 storey block and a 5 storey block of apartments.
The applicant addressed the Panel. The following was highlighted:
· The applicant was one of the largest affordable housing providers in the UK and owned the site.
· Advice had been sought with regards to flood risk, drainage and remediation matters.
· The site had been vacant since the flooding events in 2015.
· There had previously been proposals for residential development at the site which had been supported in principle at Plans Panel.
· There had been pre-application discussions with planning officers.
· There would be engagement with neighbours and local businesses and full account of any comments would be considered before submitting a full application.
· As part of the arrangements for accessing Government Funding, the scheme was required to be started by March 2023 with completion within two years.
· Constraints included the location of the site within the flood zone. Innovative designs would be used which included raising the levels of the dwellings. There was also a surface water culvert across the site and development was not permitted on this but could be used for landscaping.
· There would be a strong frontage to Kirkstall Road with landscaping and tree planting.
· There would be 130 units on the site with 43 town houses and the remaining units as apartments.
· The townhouses would be sheltered from Kirkstall Road to reduce the impact of noise and pollution and where feasible would have policy compliant enclosed garden spaces.
· Pre-application feedback had led to increased garden sizes, increased landscaping and the proposed provision of 100% electric vehicle charging points.
· All apartments would meet national space standards.
· Properties would be developed above the flood level and there would be rooftop amenity space.
· The design of the scheme would reflect the industrial heritage of the site.
· Proposed materials included red brick with detailing, stone detailing and metal cladding.
· CGI images of the proposed development were displayed.
In response to questions and comments from the Panel, the following was discussed:
· The proposed use of materials was not decided at this stage and other options could be explored.
· There was no reason why further articulation could not be added to the gateway entrance of the site.
· There was a lot of public green space and amenity area. Due to the arrangement for siting of houses it was difficult to meet policy for garden sizes but there were alternative amenity spaces.
· All roads would be to an adoptable standard and there would be sufficient turning space for service vehicles.
· Strategic work had been carried with Education and ... view the full minutes text for item 38.
Date and Time of Next Meeting
Thursday, 6th October 2022 at 1.30 p.m.
Thursday, 6 October 2022 at 1.30 p.m.