Agenda and minutes

Inner East Community Committee
Thursday, 7th September, 2017 6.00 pm

Venue: Deacon House Community Hub, Seacroft Avenue, Leeds LS14 6JD

Contact: Helen Gray 0113 3788657 

Note: At approx 7pm, a workshop will be held following the meeting on the theme of Leeds Inclusive Growth Strategy 

No. Item

IN ATTENDANCE  Phil Rone – Burmantofts & Richmond Hill CLT

  Bob Field - Burmantofts & Richmond Hill CLT


Approximately 30 representatives of the local community, partner organisations and stakeholders attended the meeting.



Chairs Opening Remarks


The Chair welcomed all present to the newly opened Deacon House Community Hub and brief introductions were made.



Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents

To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)


(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance Services at least 24 hours before the meeting)


There were no appeals against the refusal of inspection of documents.



Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public

1  To highlight reports or appendices which officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.


2  To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.


3  If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-


  RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information, as follows:-


The agenda contained no exempt information.



Late Items

To identify items which have been admitted to the agenda by the Chair for consideration


(The special circumstances shall be specified in the minutes)


No late items of business were added to the agenda.



Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests

To disclose or draw attention to any disclosable pecuniary interests for the purposes of Section 31 of the Localism Act 2011 and paragraphs 13-18 of the Members’ Code of Conduct. 


There were no declarations of disclosable pecuniary interest.



Apologies for Absence

To receive any apologies for absence


Apologies for absence were received from Councillor A Hussain.



Open Forum

In accordance with Paragraphs 4:16 and 4:17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Community Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair


Members of the public addressed the meeting under the provisions of Paragraphs 4.16 and 4.17 of the Community Committee Procedure Rules (Open Forum):

Leeds South & East Food Bank – Following on from the meeting held 23rd March 2017 (minute 62 refers) Bob Field provided an update on recent media coverage; operational challenges and supply & demand issues relating to Leeds South & East Food Bank and Fare Share provision. Mr Field issued an urgent plea for support and donations to ensure that supplies had the widest reach as possible.


Discussions considered the role of Food Share – a project which encourages allotments, kitchen gardeners, schools & organisations to donate surplus produce to local charities – and whether the Community Committee (CC) could consider supporting organisations seeking to affiliate to the scheme. The role of the Food Aid Network as a mechanism to establish contingency plans across the network to ensure supply met demand was also considered. It was noted that the matter would be referred on to the Financial Inclusion Team who could then advise on how the CC could support work to ensure food provision reaches smaller, local suppliers.


It was also noted that the Council would launch a food donation scheme in Council buildings to support Fare Share from 11th September to 6th October 2017. Fare Share will distribute food donations appropriately across the city and it was suggested that co-ordination was required across the network to secure the most needed items. Additionally, Members requested a list of Food Banks located within East Leeds and details of how to make financial contributions to the Food Banks.


The matter was referred to the Area Management Team to pursue.



Minutes of the Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 108 KB

To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the previous meeting held 15th June 2017


(Copy attached)


RESOLVED – The minutes of the meeting held 15th June 2017 were agreed as a correct record



Matters Arising

To note any matters arising from the minutes


Minute 7 – Highways - Councillor Ragan reported on a recent site visit undertaken with co-optees and highways officers to review local roads and traffic management schemes in the Burmantofts & Richmond Hill ward. A formal response from Highways & Transportation on the findings of the visit would be received in due course.


Later in the meeting Richard Matthews (resident) expressed concern over the standard of highway improvement works undertaken by sub contractors for the Council; work monitoring and health & safety concerns. Issues included outdated signage not being removed and the poor standard of pavements which are a particular concern for blind and partially sighted people. Having noted the comments, Members agreed to request a response to the issues raised from Highways Services.


Minute 10 – Appointment of Co-optees – Neil Young, Area Officer, reported that no further co-optee nominations had been received and he reiterated the request for volunteers; particularly from the Killingbeck & Seacroft ward.



Changes to Clusters and Appointments for 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 299 KB

To consider the report of the Director of Children and Families on the changes that have occurred within the cluster structures affecting the Inner East Community Committee area. The report also invites the Committee to make appointments to the Children’s Services Cluster Partnerships.



Further to minute 11 of the meeting held 15th June 2017, Gillian Mayfield, Area Head, Targeted Services (ENE), presented the report of the Director of Children and Families on the recent changes to the Cluster Partnerships within the Inner East area. The report sought consideration of appointments to the following Clusters:

Inner East Cluster – 1 Member each Burmantofts & Richmond Hill and Gipton & Harehills wards

2gether Cluster – 1 Member from Gipton & Harehills ward


At the time this item was discussed, only Councillor Arif from the Gipton & Harehills ward was in attendance at the meeting to be nominated to both appointments. As a way forward, Councillor Arif agreed to confirm her appointment and to hold further discussions with ward colleagues; after which another nomination may be made.


During this item, the Committee noted a query regarding the Children & Families information provided within the Community Update Report (minute 29 refers). Appendix 3 of that report included an annual data profile of outcomes for children and young people in Inner East area.


a)  To note the information provided on the merger  of the cluster partnerships formally known as CHESS and Networks to form the new 2gether Cluster

b)  That Councillor S Arif be appointed to the 2gether Cluster and to note that further discussions with Gipton & Harehills ward Members will be held, after which another nomination may be made

c)  To note the information provided regarding the Inner East Cluster and to confirm the following appointments

-  Councillor S Arif (Gipton & Harehills ward)

-  Councillor D Ragan (Burmantofts & Richmond Hill ward)

d)  To note the intention for the Area Head, Targeted Services (ENE) to attend the Children and Young People advisory sub group to discuss the annual data profile of outcomes for children and young people in Inner East area, and for this to be reported back to the Committee in due course



Wellbeing Report September 2017 pdf icon PDF 267 KB

To consider the report of the East North East Area Leader which contains details of the Wellbeing budget, including details of any new projects for consideration and information on any decisions taken by delegated authority since the last community committee meeting


Additional documents:


The East North East Area Leader submitted a report providing an update on the current position of the capital and revenue budget for the Inner East CC. the report noted the decisions regarding Wellbeing applications taken by delegated authority since the last meeting and outlined new applications for finding.


a)  To note the Wellbeing spend to date and current balances for the 2017/18 financial year as detailed in Appendix 1 of the report.

b)  To note the new Wellbeing applications that have been received and the intention to undertake ward level consultation on these.

c)  To note the decisions on funding applications made on behalf of the Community Committee by delegated authority since the date of the last meeting.



Community Committee Update report pdf icon PDF 430 KB

To consider the report of the East North East Area Leader providing an update on the work programme of the Inner East Community Committee, including recent successes, current challenges and on-going pieces of work.

Additional documents:


Neil Young, Area Officer, presented an update report on the Inner East CC work programme, including recent successes and challenges and ongoing pieces of work. The report outlined follow up work undertaken since previous workshops and the work of the Committee’s sub groups. Recent community events held during the summer were also featured. The CC noted an event to be held in Briggate, Leeds city centre on 14th October 2017, organised by the Financial Outreach Team to provide practical advice to people during the run-up to Christmas.


Members also discussed the replacement of the former Designated Public Places Orders (DPPO) with Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO) to cover issues related to alcohol; anti-social behaviour; crime and environmental crime. It was noted that the new PSPOs would be discussed at ward member briefings in the first instance, with a report to be presented to the Community Committee in due course.


Appendix 3 of the report included a schedule of outcomes for children and young people in the Inner East area and a request for further consideration of this information had been made earlier in the meeting

RESOLVED – That the contents of the report and the comments made during discussions be noted.



Employment and Skills Update pdf icon PDF 313 KB

To consider the report of the Chief Officer, Employment & Skills on Employment and Skills Service activity in the locality, the report also provides key unemployment data for the area.


Additional documents:


Councillor R Grahame, Community Champion for Employment, Jobs and Skills introduced the report of the Chief Officer, Employment & Skills Service. He emphasised the role of employment and skills in tackling poverty and child poverty.


Keri Evans, Communities & Partnerships Senior Manager, presented information on Employment & Skills Service activity within the Inner East area along with key unemployment data for the area. The report provided a breakdown by ward of people claiming Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) and Employment Support Allowance (ESA); and a comparison of 2016 against 2017 figures. Keri also highlighted the support available to encourage people into employment and the new programmes of delivery available with support from European Structural Investment Funding (ESIF).


Dominic Brook, Remploy, provided the meeting with information on Remploy’s work providing employment related skills in order to support unemployed people with health issues or disabilities into work. Remploy also delivered the STEP (Skills, Training & Employment Pathways) programme in partnership with Leeds and Bradford Councils providing support to people who had been unemployed for over one year and who were over 25years old. Remploy provided individualised opportunities for clients by assessing their skill needs and employability; and linking them with other providers for various techniques/qualifications. Locally, Remploy worked with Tesco, Asda and McDonalds to provide work placement experience for clients.


Discussions covered the following issues:

·  Young people 18-25 years – concern the report did not reference  young people with a long term disability or complex

·  Access – 292 courses were delivered in the area but issues of access via public transport and advertising the courses were raised. It was noted that a website would be launched in the coming week to advertise services and support available from Employment Skills Service. This would include interactive maps showing locations and best route/method of travel to access the site.

·  Individual assessments – each individual was assessed for their employability and specific needs, such as relevant courses/learning or dyslexia, language barriers. Tutors would accommodate additional support that may be required to complete the course/qualification at the learners own speed.

·  Members requested information on the number of courses and people supported through the ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) course in the area.

·  Influence over developers to employ local workforce. Members discussed recent new developments and the success or otherwise of the Council to influence developers to utilise the local workforce.


The CC received assurance that partners who worked with Leeds to provide training and employment paid the minimum wage and were encouraged to pay the living wage. Members also consider the impact of Brexit on funding for the schemes backed by European Union funding such as ESIF and requested a copy of the Council’s contingency plan for post EU funding


a)  That the contents of the report and subsequent discussions be noted

b)  To note the intention to receive a further Employment & Skills Update in 2018



Community Comment

To receive any feedback or comments from members of the public on the reports presented to this Community Committee meeting.


 A time limit for this session has been set at 10 minutes.


Due to the number and nature of comments it will not be possible to provide responses immediately at the meeting; however, members of the public shall receive a formal response within 14 working days.


If the Community Committee runs out of time, comments and feedback on the reports may be submitted in writing at the meeting or by email (contact details on agenda front sheet).



The following matters were raised by Members of the public in relation to the formal Committee reports:

·  Access to Apprenticeships for young people who have already completed a college course

·  Access to learning for people without internet access and who may also require translation services

·  Department of Work & Pensions terminology

·  Access to opportunity for those people who may not visit the LCC community hub provision. Members requested further work on a communication management plan

·  The need to take into account other service provider/health/care commitments during the working week when considering an individuals’ employment suitability. Members agreed to further consider this at the appropriate advisory sub group

·  Becky Wilson, Deputy Head of Shakespeare Primary School gave a brief update on a new charity established to supply beds and bedding for refugees setting up home in Leeds, seeking any form of support from the CC. Members noted the intention to introduce Becky to the Migrant Access Project.


Additionally, one member of the public raised highways issues which have been recorded under “Open Forum” (minute 24 refers)



Leeds Inclusive Growth Strategy pdf icon PDF 292 KB

To consider the report of the Economic Policy, Innovation and Sector Development team which seeks to introduce the current consultation around the Leeds Inclusive Growth Strategy 2017 – 2023, which underpins the Council’s work to develop a strong economy in a compassionate city. A copy of the Leeds Inclusive Growth Strategy – Consultation Draft Executive Summary is attached as Appendix 1 of the report.


A workshop to discuss some of the key ideas in the strategy and how they relate to local priorities will follow the Community Committee main business meeting.


Additional documents:


Simon Brereton, Head of LCC Innovation and Sector Development, presented a report on Leeds Inclusive Growth Strategy 2017-2033, which included ‘12 Big Ideas’ to promote inclusive growth in the city. A copy of the executive summary was included as an appendix to the report, which was presented as the basis for discussion during the workshop session scheduled to follow the formal meeting. The workshop would form part of the formal Strategy consultation process due to conclude on 19th October 2017.


In presenting the report, Simon highlighted the following key issues:

-  The Strategy sought to ensure that the growth predicted for Leeds benefitted all residents

-  50,000 high quality jobs were predicted; Leeds had the challenge of ensuring its residents could fulfil those opportunities

-  Young people = 16% of Leeds’ population, investment in their future was required to ensure they were prepared for the city’s future growth

-  The Strategy had a ‘people centred focus’ – putting employers and people at the heart of education/better jobs,

-  The Strategy’s ‘place centred focus’ aimed to tackle the expansion of the city centre, to create jobs close to communities and support infrastructure to enable productivity


Having regard to the time left, the Chair opened the meeting to a general discussion on the Strategy which included consideration of the following:


·  Support for small and medium sized business start-ups in local communities

·  Transport infrastructure

·  The impact of the regeneration of one community on neighbouring areas

·  The likely impact of the West Yorkshire and Harrogate NHS Sustainable Transformation Plan in terms of shared services, patient access and infrastructure

·  The challenge of encouraging employers to pay appropriate wages at more than the value of benefits system. This would encourage people into work and meet travel costs

·  Leeds needed to tackle the education and vocational skills gap to ensure Leeds residents benefitted from the anticipated opportunities

·  Recognition that the leisure and sport sector is the second largest job sector in Leeds

·  Balance the needs of the projected city centre growth against those of the inner area communities affected by the expansion

·  The Strategy encouraged employers to consider what action they could take - through individual action plans and employer pledges

·  Comment that “in-work adult training” should be reintroduced


Members broadly felt that there wasn’t sufficient time to discuss the Strategy thoroughly and requested that a further workshop(s) be arranged so that each community could discuss what it already has to offer and to identify its’ needs in order to meet the aim of the Strategy. It was envisaged that young people and representatives of the education and transport sectors could be invited in order to promote discussion on how to link transport; jobs, education and skills effectively. Additionally, information would be sent to local community groups to encourage their participation. The outcomes of the follow-up work will be reported back to the Committee in due course.


a)  To note the contents of the report and the discussions

b)  To note the intention to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 32.


Date and Time of next meeting

To note the date and time of the next meeting as 4th December 2017


RESOLVED – To note the date and time of the next meeting as Thursday 30th November 2017 at 6.00pm