Venue: Civic Hall, Leeds
Contact: Governance Services Copies of the full report with appendices are available on request from the clerk. For details of the new premises licence please contact Entertainment Licensing on 0113 378 5029 after the hearing.
Election of the Chair
To seek nominations for the election for the position of Chair.
RESOLVED – To elect Councillor A Garthwaite to the Chair for the duration of the meeting.
Appeals Against Refusal of Inspection of Documents
To consider any appeals in accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2 of the Access to Information Procedure Rules (in the event of an Appeal the press and public will be excluded)
(*In accordance with Procedure Rule 15.2, written notice of an appeal must be received by the Head of Governance and Scrutiny Support at least 24 hours before the meeting)
There were no appeals against the refusal of inspection of documents.
Exempt Information - Possible Exclusion of the Press and Public
1) To highlight reports or appendices which:
a) officers have identified as containing exempt information, and where officers consider that the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information, for the reasons outlined in the report.
b) To consider whether or not to accept the officers recommendation in respect of the above information.
c) If so, to formally pass the following resolution:-
RESOLVED – That the press and public be excluded from the meeting during consideration of those parts of the agenda designated as containing exempt information on the grounds that it is likely, in view of the nature of the business to be transacted or the nature of the proceedings, that if members of the press and public were present there would be disclosure to them of exempt information
2) To note that under the Licensing Procedure rules, the press and the public will be excluded from that part of the hearing where Members will deliberate on each application as it is in the public interest to allow the Members to have a full and frank debate on the matter before them.
There were no exempt items.
To identify any applications as late items of business which have been admitted to the agenda for consideration
(the special circumstances shall be identified in the minutes)
There were no late items.
Declaration of Interests
To disclose or draw attention to any interests in accordance with Leeds City Council’s ‘Councillor Code of Conduct’.
No declarations of interests were made at the meeting.
Application for the grant of a premises licence for The Office Saloon 4 Oxford Street, Guiseley, Leeds, LS20 9AX PDF 98 KB
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory requests Members consideration on an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Roots Leisure Ltd, for The Office Saloon 4 Oxford Street, Guiseley, Leeds, LS20 9AX.
The report of the Chief Officer Elections and Regulatory set out an application for the grant of a premises licence, made by Roots Leisure Ltd, for The Office Saloon, 4 Oxford Street, Guiseley, Leeds, LS20 9AX.
In attendance for the meeting were:
· Applicant – Mr Muthadi Alleyne on behalf of Roots Leisure Ltd
· Ms V Holroyd – Environmental Protection Team
· Ms Kate Coleman – Environmental Protection Team
· Mr W Anderson – Environmental Protection Team (observing)
· Journalist – David Spereall
The Legal Officer explained that unfortunately the Licensing Sub Committee was sitting with only two Members present. He explained that the Constitution stated there should be three Members present. However, with the agreement of all parties the meeting could go ahead with just two Members, with the proviso that the decision would have to be unanimous. It was with the agreement of all parties present that the meeting should continue.
The Legal Officer outlined the procedures for the hearing.
The Licensing Officer provided the Licensing Sub Committee with the following information:
· This is the first application for a premises licence for these premises. The applicant’s name is Roots Leisure Ltd. The proposed designated premises supervisor is Muthadi Anwaar Alleyne.
· The application was for
o Sale by retail of alcohol
§ Every day 08:00 – 00:00
o Late night refreshment
§ Every day 23:00 – 00:00
o Exhibition of film
§ Monday to Saturday 08:00 – 23:00
§ Sunday 09:00 – 23:00
o Performance of recorded music
§ Every day 08:00 – 00:00
· A redacted version of the application was appended to report at Appendix A with measures to promote the licensing objectives set out at Section 18.
· A map with the location of the premises was attached at Appendix B
· Representations had been received from West Yorkshire Police in their capacity as a responsible authority. However, any representation may be negotiated prior to the hearing and in this instance the operating schedule had been amended to include the measures agreed with West Yorkshire Police. A copy of the agreement was attached to the submitted report at Appendix C.
· A representation submitted by the Environmental Protection Team remained as a matter for Members consideration. A copy of the representation was appended to the report at Appendix D.
The applicant explained that a grant of a premises licence would expand his business. It was his plan to hold tasting events and show how coffee could be used to make cocktails such as Expresso Martinis. His plan included coffee and cakes during the daytime moving through to the evening with drinks and live music. However, he was willing to forgo having live music if this affected his licence application.
Mr Alleyne said he was aware of the objection due to concerns of noise and explained that his premises was located within a mainly commercial area, but the social club was now residential properties. He was of the view that as the residential properties had previously been a club the walls would be thick enough ... view the full minutes text for item 6.