In accordance with Paragraphs 6.24 and 6.25 of the Area Committee Procedure Rules, at the discretion of the Chair a period of up to 10 minutes may be allocated at each ordinary meeting for members of the public to make representations or to ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Area Committee. This period of time may be extended at the discretion of the Chair. No member of the public shall speak for more than three minutes in the Open Forum, except by permission of the Chair.
In accordance with paragraphs 6.24 and 6.25 of the Area Committee Procedure Rules, the Chair allowed members of the public to make representations or ask questions on matters within the terms of reference of the Area Committee.
In summary the following issues were raised at the meeting:-
Mr J Linch, Ireland Crescent Sheltered Housing enquired if there was any funding available for training purposes i.e. computer training etc for residents in Sheltered Housing/Community Centres.
The Chair responded and it was noted that a report on Community Centres would be submitted to the July 2008 meeting for consideration.
Councillor B Atha referred to the current inequality that existed between charged for and non-charged for brown bin collections in the area. He requested the Area Committee to take urgent appropriate action in this regard.
The Chair responded and it was noted that this issue would be discussed in more detail under the item ‘Well-being end of year monitoring’ in relation to the Community Composting project (Item 9) (Minute 98 refers).
Mr D Millard, referred to Oblong Resource Centre and informed the meeting that there was a funding crisis at the centre due to the withdrawal of a number of funding streams, e.g. NRF, and the organisation’s unsuccessful application for funding from the National Lottery.
The Chair responded and asked North West Area Management to contact Oblong to discuss their current issues and seek to assist the identification of a solution.
A representative of Spen Hill, West Park and Moor Grange Resident Associations spoke of the proposed indoor training facilities to be built on Butcher Hill playing fields by Powerleague and raised his concerns about the removal of this green space from the use of local people.
It was requested that the Area Committee oppose this development.
Councillor S Bentley and Councillor B Jennings joined the meeting at 7.20 pm during discussions of the above issue. The Chair announced that at this point in the proceedings the meeting was now quorate.
Following discussions, the Committee supported this request and referred this matter to the Planning Sub Group for consideration, together with inviting those representatives who were in attendance at tonight’s meeting.
(Under the provisions of Council Procedure Rule 16.5, Councillor B Jennings required it to be recorded that he abstained from voting on this issue)
Reference was made to the general damage caused to area.
It was requested that the Area Committee take appropriate action in this regard.
The Committee noted the concerns and requested North West Area Management to investigate this matter further.
Councillor J Illingworth also informed the meeting that there was evidence of drug taking within Kirkstall Nature Reserve. He stated that the issue had been referred to the police in Armley and that the matter was being addressed.
Bill McKinnon, Friends of Woodhouse Moor referred to Janet Bailey’s speech made at a recent Hyde Park and Woodhouse Forum meeting and reaffirmed his concerns that Woodhouse Moor would be omitted from a Designated Public Places Order.
The Committee noted his concerns.
Bill McKinnon, Friends of Woodhouse Moor referred to proposals to create a bus lane on Woodhouse Lane by Woodhouse Moor. Concern was expressed about the potential loss of Yorkshire stone pavements,
and impacts on the moor.
The Chair of the Committee requested Area management look into the proposals and supply both Members and Friends of Woodhouse Moor with further information.
Bill McKinnon, Friends of Woodhouse Moor referred to a forthcoming workshop on the proposed sale and redevelopment of the Leeds Girls’ High school site.
At the request of the Chair, Councillor M Hamilton updated the meeting on current developments.
Bill McKinnon, Friends of Woodhouse Moor, referred to a statement prepared by the City Development department on Section 106 issues in relation to the proposed multi-use games area on Woodhouse Moor.
Following discussions, it was agreed that further ward member consultation was required in this area and the Committee reaffirmed that no further action would take place on this issue during the consultation period.
Councillor B Atha referred to the above issue and reiterated that any proposal around the loss of greenspace for the use of playing fields should be opposed and made future policy of this Committee.
This view was supported by the Committee.
Councillor J Illingworth updated the meeting on the current developments regarding Leeds Boys’ Grammar School.
The Committee noted the current position.
Mr A Bereston, a local resident, referred to the former Leeds Boys’ Grammar School site and proposed that the University of Leeds be approached requesting them to re-instate a playing field on the site’s remaining greenspace.
Councillor J Illingworth responded and suggested that a report should be commissioned around the Sports Pitch Strategy for future consideration by the Committee.
It was noted that a report on the Sports Pitch Strategy would be submitted to the July 2008 meeting for consideration.
Sue Buckle, South Headingley Community Association referred to the illegal use of portable barbecues on Woodhouse Moor and asked that Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) be instructed to enforce these laws.