To receive and consider the attached report of the Chief Officer, Elections and Regulatory regarding an application for the renewal of a Sex Establishment License for Silks, 2 Sovereign Place, Leeds, LS1 4SP
The Licensing Officer presented the application. The licence was to cover the ground and first floors of the building and the hours of operation were from 22:00 to 04:00 on Sunday to Thursday and 22:00 to 05:00 on Friday and Saturday.
Although there had not been any representations made in response to the application, the Sub-Committee was legally required to determine the application.
The applicant’s representative addressed the Sub-Committee. The following was highlighted:
· Silks had operated as a Sexual Entertainment Establishment from these premises since 2009 and had held a licence since 2011.
· The licence had been renewed annually as one of the four permitted to operate in Leeds City Centre.
· There had not been any changes to the locality, style of operation or external appearance of the premises since the last renewal.
· When closed, the premises appeared inconspicuous from the street.
· There had not been any objections to this application.
· There were no objections from West Yorkshire Police and there never had been.
· The premises were in a suitable location for a Sexual Entertainment Establishment.
· The nearest sensitive location was Sovereign Square Park and there had not been any issues with regards to this location or the premises.
· The lack of any representations indicated that there were no mandatory or discretionary grounds for refusal and it was requested that the application be granted as applied for.
In response to questions, the following was discussed:
· The applicant’s representative would feedback to their client concerns regarding the use of the word ‘girls’ in the clubs policy documents.
· The club was currently closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic and there was not yet any indication as to when they would be able to re-open. There would be a full covid risk assessment undertaken when the club was allowed to re-open.
The Licensing Sub-Committee carefully considered the application, the report and the representations made at the hearing.
RESOLVED – That the application for renewal be granted as applied for.