To receive and consider the attached report which provides the Inner West Community Committee with an update on the Highways Annual Improvement Consultation.
The report of the Executive Manager, Highways provided the Inner North East Community Committee with an update on the Highways Annual Improvement Consultation.
The presentation which was appended to the submitted report was shown at the meeting and the Community Committee were invited to make comments.
The Community Committee were informed of the following points:
Responding directly to comments and questions from Members the officer provided the following information:
· It was noted that Members had provided comments on specific local roads, and these would be followed up.
· Ironworks on the highways were inspected to react to individual reports and any defects found were addressed. It was noted that any current issues with ironworks should be report to the officer and Members would receive a response.
· Members were of the view that it was important for communication to take place between different services and departments in relation to any works carried out on the highways.
· Members also thought it was important for a short communication to them in between the consultation period, so that they were kept updated.
· Members made comments on the potholes and the different techniques used to address them.
· Members suggested that speed bumps should be used on entry to roads designated as 20mph. It was the view that this should be carried out during refurbishment works.
· Members raised concerns in relation to the footpaths and pedestrianised areas on the local estates, some of which are in poor condition. Members were advised that footpaths etc were inspected separately to carriageways but used the same scoring procedure to prioritise the work required.
· Members were advised to use the Highways Asset generic email address to send in any comments they may have. The service tried to be as flexible as possible to address roads thought to be in worse condition than those listed, and in some cases, they did sometimes have to swap roads listed for those requested by Members. However, officers would do the swap after assessing the roads rather than ask Members to choose.
The Chair thanked the officer for presenting the item and attending the meeting.
RESOLVED – To note the content of the report and the presentation.