To receive and consider the attached report of the Lifelong Learning Centre which introduces a verbal update about Lifelong Learning services and where possible information specific to the Outer West Wards.
Esther Bissell and Fiona Chapel (Leeds University Community and Partnerships Team) attended the meeting, and provided the Outer West Community Committee with a PowerPoint presentation including the following information:
The Committee discussed the following:
· The professional studies degree is popular amongst people. However, there is a wide range of courses for people to choose from and once people understand their choices, they’re able to access anything they want to. The centre will guide people towards anything they want to and try and overcome any ‘myths’ and barriers people may think they have.
· The centre engages through community groups and different networks across the city. The centre is keen to explore further contacts and asked members to provide any contact details for groups and individuals.
· It is anticipated that there will be changes to lifelong learning entitlement in 2025. However, it was confirmed that funding for adults works in the same way as it does teenagers. Leeds has specific funding options that people may qualify and apply for in terms of childcare etc.
· Members can get involved by sharing messages on social media and any community groups they are in contact with. This is particularly important for people to be aware that the centre exists and provides people with options they may not know exist.
· The centre work closely with employment departments in the council and attend job fairs and other similar events. The centre is keen to attend more events and be made aware of any.
The Chair thanked the Community and Partnerships Team for attending the meeting.
RESOLVED – To note the presentation provided by the Community Outreach Team and discussions during consideration of this item.